1/6 Hot Toys - BvS: Dawn of Justice - Batman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m so bummed I missed out on that run of Zhao Batfleck heads. It looks fantastic.

Crazy how limited it was - I don’t even believe it was advertised publicly before the run was opened.

Maybe it’s for the best. I need the monies for a Battinson.

Has anybody totally removed the flaking parts and repainted the suit? If so, how does it look? It seems more and more people are having issues with the suits tearing apart.

Has anybody totally removed the flaking parts and repainted the suit? If so, how does it look? It seems more and more people are having issues with the suits tearing apart.
Mine is still fine. Though I say that and my suit does tend to fuse with itself in the armpit area. I fixed by putting black foam in there.

If you are seeing the constant posts on social media about it, I’m 100% sure that they kept their figures in a no ideal climate conditons or kept in their boxes.

Sure I personally wouldn’t spend that kind of money ($800) on any headsculpt either. However I also don’t want to tell anyone else how they should spend their own money.

Some people think that all of us are crazy for spending hundreds of dollars on ANY of these figures or vehicles period. The “value” that we put on these things is subjective and I don’t think it is fair to judge the value that others place on things.

Also I think the assumptions you make about the socio-economic status of those buying those headsculpts is sort of presumptuous. It is just as (if not more than) likely that the people who would pay prices like that can do so very comfortably. For some spending $800 dollars is relative to another person spending a dime.

I have an old friend who recently purchased a G Wagon in addition to already owning three other really nice vehicles. I think he thought I would raze him a bit for it. I personally would not purchase a G Wagon because it would not be financially responsible right now as I have a daughter in college and and a son that will be in college in a few years. Also I’m not in love with the styling of the G wagon nor would I want to spend that much on a single vehicle. However I congratulated him bk I know the HE LIKES nice cars and he can easily afford it.

Btw even if he couldn’t easily afford it I don’t think it would be my place to comment on that unless he asked for my opinion/advice

Conversely though, I notice that some of these advocates for customs do possess a haughty, elitist mentality in the sense that they gloat how their custom $500 overpriced sculpt is much better than all of your crappy HT sculpts. And then when anyone tells them that they think the stock HT sculpt is already good as is (especially for something at 1/6 scale), will usually come back with something like “well, it’s okay to like flawed work.” Flawed to who, you? Or do you just feel the need to justify to yourself spending $500 on a 1/6 doll head?

Don’t get me wrong, some of these customs are phenomenal. Worth more than twice the price of the entire figure itself? Imo, no. Never. But if you want to spend that kind of money, go ahead, it’s your money. However, at the same time, why feel the incessant need to tell anyone that if they like the stock sculpt as is, then they are merely accepting mediocre quality? At that point it sounds more like you’re attempting to reassure yourself that spending $500 on a doll head was a good idea.

Conversely though, I notice that some of these advocates for customs do possess a haughty, elitist mentality in the sense that they gloat how their custom $500 overpriced sculpt is much better than all of your crappy HT sculpts. And then when anyone tells them that they think the stock HT sculpt is already good as is (especially for something at 1/6 scale), will usually come back with something like “well, it’s okay to like flawed work.” Flawed to who, you? Or do you just feel the need to justify to yourself spending $500 on a 1/6 doll head?

Don’t get me wrong, some of these customs are phenomenal. Worth more than twice the price of the entire figure itself? Imo, no. Never. But if you want to spend that kind of money, go ahead, it’s your money. However, at the same time, why feel the incessant need to tell anyone that if they like the stock sculpt as is, then they are merely accepting mediocre quality? At that point it sounds more like you’re attempting to reassure yourself that spending $500 on a doll head was a good idea.

I see your point and I agree that assuming that something is better simply bk it costs more or to assert that someone is lesser simply bk they will not or simply cannot spend more is crappy. Also it would say something about a person that gets their self esteem based from how much they spend on their dolls.

I collect watches and there is definitely some of the aforementioned garbage in that hobby as well.

There is actually a guy right now, who is known for making Michael myers sculpts( not accurately ) making a Pattinson Batman , that is not accurate at all. Doesn’t even look right. And he is getting praised. What?

:lecture :goodpost:

Look no further than the last 2 or 3 pages of the Endgame Cap thread for that exact scenario. Apparently if you like the stock headsculpts on that one, you're a HT Fanboy :rolleyes2 Better to spend $400 on the custom sculpt with mediocre paint apps than be a HT fanbody I guess

I see your point and I agree that assuming that something is better simply bk it costs more or to assert that someone is lesser simply bk they will not or simply cannot spend more is crappy. Also it would say something about a person that gets their self esteem based from how much they spend on their dolls.

I collect watches and there is definitely some of the aforementioned garbage in that hobby as well.

:lecture :goodpost:

Look no further than the last 2 or 3 pages of the Endgame Cap thread for that exact scenario. Apparently if you like the stock headsculpts on that one, you're a HT Fanboy :rolleyes2 Better to spend $400 on the custom sculpt with mediocre paint apps than be a HT fanbody I guess

Exactly. It’s not a dick measuring contest as to who spends the most, who has the most figures, who has the most accurate looking figures, the best looking accessories, etc. I don’t take it that seriously and as Omega mentioned, don’t draw self-esteem from asserting that my figure, accessory, or sculpt is better looking than all you schmucks who accept stock mediocrity. It’s just a fun, albeit expensive, hobby to me.

I just want to ask, has anybody who owns the hot toys BVS Batman notice the suit deteriorate over time, and if so, what was the cause?

I just want to ask, has anybody who owns the hot toys BVS Batman notice the suit deteriorate over time, and if so, what was the cause?
Mine, personally, has not. I’ve seen a number of collectors deal with this issue. Humidity being one variable, and sometimes sitting in the box for long periods of time, in humid conditions, can lead to this.

Mine, personally, has not. I’ve seen a number of collectors deal with this issue. Humidity being one variable, and sometimes sitting in the box for long periods of time, in humid conditions, can lead to this.
i honestly never trust NIB or sealed figures that are 10+ years old. god knows what has happened to them. humidity is a factor but also maybe a bad copy. some deteriorate faster than others for some reason

i honestly never trust NIB or sealed figures that are 10+ years old. god knows what has happened to them. humidity is a factor but also maybe a bad copy. some deteriorate faster than others for some reason
I agree. Plus, each collector handles and poses their figures differently — some more than others, so constantly changing poses and futzing can also play a factor. I learned this the hard way with the “leather” cape my Prime 1 Studio BvS Batman. Futzed around too much, which led to small tears in the cape..

I tend to be the same. I'd rather buy a gently used figure soni know exactly what I'm getting.

I tend to be the same. I'd rather buy a gently used figure soni know exactly what I'm getting.
yup and I'd rather get an older figure slightly used at a discount than pay a premium for an unopen one that could disintegrate the moment it's opened. This pretty much happened with a DX05 Indy I bought. It was used but complete and I had already expected the gun belt and bag strap to not last long based on what fellow members had gone through. They literally fell apart as I took them out of the tray though they looked pristine and new before I touched them :lol

Yeah, I just moved into a new place and, when I went to pack my DX Indy, the strap on his satchel crumbled apart. It horrified me. :lol Glad to know I’m not the only one who’s had that issue. I still need to get a replacement.

Yeah, I just moved into a new place and, when I went to pack my DX Indy, the strap on his satchel crumbled apart. It horrified me. :lol Glad to know I’m not the only one who’s had that issue. I still need to get a replacement.
:lol I never had any parts ever just fall apart like that before. I've had some stuff crack but literally just disintegrate in mans was a first.

It'll be pretty easy to replace now, though, that the Present Toys Indy is finally being released. You can grab a parted out bag from that or go to a craft store and get some 3mmx1mm real leather straps and replace it that way.

What causes that deterioration on the BVS Batman, and has anyone else had this happen?
The outer layer of the BvS suit is made out of thin vinyl, and thin vinyl and faux leather (pleather) that many manufacturers of this hobby tend to use are not meant to last.

As for what's causing it, humidity and the leaking plastisizers in the figure can be a huge factor. Other than that, sunlight, moisture and even the natural oils in your hands can contribute to deterioration.

The best you can do it to treat any thin vinyl or pleather with stuff like 303 Aerospace or car interior products, keep it away from humidity and NEVER EVER keep mixed media figures in box, as a few posters before me have said, if a 1/6 mixed media figure is "brand new" and has been in storage for years, you'd be better off getting a used one instead.

Back