1/6 Hot Toys Batman & Batmobile - Batman Begins

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot Toys Batman & Batmobile - Batman Begins

The purpose of deconstructing a character is to reveal something about them, and while I guess you can say Snyder revealed something about his version of Batman, it's primarily that his version of Batman is an awful person.

One theme that travels through all three Nolan movies (the central component of of his version of the character, I would argue) is whether Bruce is doing what he does for Gotham, or for himself. It's something he struggles with in each movie. The clearest way this struggle resolves is in Bruce's decision not to become a revenge killer, or as it is written, not "become an executioner."

We see that Batman is willing to kill in battle, but his stance goes back to how he understands the problem: he once had a plot to kill a man, not in defence of himself or others, but because it would make Bruce feel better--and somebody chewed him out because that would be a selfish and bankrupt thing to do, that contributes nothing to the welfare of the city. This is the lesson Bruce carries forward, not a rule against the use of lethal force, but a belief about lethal punishment.

Snyder's Batman also has a plot to kill someone purely to make himself feel better, and... That's it, basically. He eventually decides not to do it, not because he realizes it's wrong, but because his enemy makes a plea that humanizes him in Batman's eyes, preventing Batman from seeing him as a dangerous "other." So in the end Batman only relents because killing Superman would no longer make him feel better, not because he understands his own actions and their place in any sort of moral continuum. Batman remains a terrible person, but fortunately everyone forgives him by the next movie instead of sending him to jail where he belongs.

Sure, you could say it deconstructed the character, but if we're committing to what that deconstruction reveals, well, it did not reveal a redemption story, but rather a dangerous villain who needs to be stopped.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I think you missed one crucial point of this Batman , especially during BvS. You have to remember, this Batman is extremely depressed and angry.

Rage can consume people to do things they could never imagine themselves doing, because they are blinded. Add depression, alcohol and pills on top of it and voila.

I agree during BvS, Batman is a terrible person, and should be in jail. But all the Batman should technically be in jail.

About the aspect of him not willing to kill anymore because his enemy (Superman) made him realise he has become the very thing he despises due to the rage. Which still doesnt make him a better person, but he is trying to do better, and in ZSJL, he even brings people together, he even opens himself up to people to assemble a team.

Sure it might not be story wise on par with TDK or Marvel, but I enjoyed it, especially the DCEU feel of his trilogy, the pacing, the visuals. Trying to do something different.

Im curious about your take on the Batman not wanting to become a executioner during BB, which is a beautiful scene and line, but then he blows up the whole building of the LoS. Doesnt that contradict with not becoming a executioner? Him indirectly killing Ras All Ghul I can live with but a whole building full of people?

Re: Hot Toys Batman & Batmobile - Batman Begins

Im curious about your take on the Batman not wanting to become a executioner during BB, which is a beautiful scene and line, but then he blows up the whole building of the LoS. Doesnt that contradict with not becoming a executioner? Him indirectly killing Ras All Ghul I can live with but a whole building full of people?

I know you weren?t replying to me but heres a take from someone with a modest background in moral philosophy.

An execution by definition is the conscious choice to kill someone who is already under control and poses no immediate threat to you. It is killing as a form of punishment or retribution. This Batman was taking a stand that he would not become an executioner; he would not kill someone who was at his mercy because he thought they were too evil to live.

Bruce?s line about the thief standing trial shows this character does not want to be an all powerful force against crime, he doesn?t want to become a fascist that takes power because he can.

So how does this relate to the league of shadows?

Bruce is at the league?s headquarters, he is at their mercy. Ra?s says something to the effect of ?Bruce please, there is no other way? prefaced by ?Make no mistake, in this chamber you are facing death? at his arrival at the temple. There is no doubt that the consequence of Bruce choosing not to execute the prisoner is death. Being armed with only a sword against dozens of armed men, Bruce?s only action of self defense was to start the fire.

The context of the scene shows that this is 1. Explicitly not execution, 2. It IS self defense. There?s also an entirely different topic that could be it?s own essay: intent.

Bruce?s intent in starting the fire was to save himself. He didn?t commit an act intended to kill. He started a fire so he could escape. Ra?s is the only confirmed death and his was a result of choosing to try to murder Bruce rather than escape. Yes, Bruce started the fire, but Ras and many of his soldiers chose fighting and attempted murder rather than fleeing. We see that anyone who chose to flee seemed to have made it out of the explosion including Bruce who was impeded and stopped to save Henri/Ra?s.

So Bruce acted in self defense and took less than lethal force, starting a fire is not the same as a direct act of violence against someone. After setting the fire Bruce made no attempts to keep anyone in the building with him and was able to escape himself despite being impeded by would be murderers. There?s simply no way to say Bruce intended to kill anyone in that scene even though self defense is a justifiable reason to kill.

We see this Batman often choose to use less than lethal force when full lethal force would be warranted. Shooting near the cab of Talia?s truck rather than right at it for example.

Contrast this with Batfleck who goes onto restricted property (port of entry) with intent to commit a felony (grand larceny of Kryptonite) so he can use the stolen goods to commit a murder (Superman). Regardless of the character of the security Lex Luthor was using, Batman is both legally and morally responsible for any death that occurs during that scene. He put himself in the situation while carrying out an inherently violent crime.

Looks amazing! Followed you on Instagram, if they dont change the figure Ill hit you up if this guy releases!

Does this come painted? Whats the price?

Thank you!

Painted, cape clips, and one of my custom capes will be optional. I haven?t determined pricing yet but I intend to be competitive with others in the market and think I?ll have the best product since it has three swappable chins and IMO will be the most accurate when I?m finished with the details.

Hot Toys Batman & Batmobile - Batman Begins

Thank you!

Painted, cape clips, and one of my custom capes will be optional. I haven?t determined pricing yet but I intend to be competitive with others in the market and think I?ll have the best product since it has three swappable chins and IMO will be the most accurate when I?m finished with the details.

Sounds great, especially with the optional cape! An all inclusive package would be great so buyers dont have to source different parts
If I may, regardless if Hot Toys changes anything, I think the wired cap is definitely staying, so a long hanging one would be nice, especially with BB suit. (Like the one from Deanknight in his recent BB video)

Also the cowl looks great, nice, thick and toned, as it should be, looks already very good. As a potential buyer, I saw the Deanknight video, and his custom cowl even has moveable eyes, which adds a lot to the expression. Might up the price to, but Im not educated on that aspect. Its from Ben Choi I think.

Curious to see where this goes!
I mean cmon, it looks even better than the real deal!
a81e5869e9e8f6fd43da76395e877247.jpg

87ec9c5757efdc375a151a4678390bde.jpg

I know you weren?t replying to me but heres a take from someone with a modest background in moral philosophy.

An execution by definition is the conscious choice to kill someone who is already under control and poses no immediate threat to you. It is killing as a form of punishment or retribution. This Batman was taking a stand that he would not become an executioner; he would not kill someone who was at his mercy because he thought they were too evil to live.

Bruce?s line about the thief standing trial shows this character does not want to be an all powerful force against crime, he doesn?t want to become a fascist that takes power because he can.

So how does this relate to the league of shadows?

Bruce is at the league?s headquarters, he is at their mercy. Ra?s says something to the effect of ?Bruce please, there is no other way? prefaced by ?Make no mistake, in this chamber you are facing death? at his arrival at the temple. There is no doubt that the consequence of Bruce choosing not to execute the prisoner is death. Being armed with only a sword against dozens of armed men, Bruce?s only action of self defense was to start the fire.

The context of the scene shows that this is 1. Explicitly not execution, 2. It IS self defense. There?s also an entirely different topic that could be it?s own essay: intent.

Bruce?s intent in starting the fire was to save himself. He didn?t commit an act intended to kill. He started a fire so he could escape. Ra?s is the only confirmed death and his was a result of choosing to try to murder Bruce rather than escape. Yes, Bruce started the fire, but Ras and many of his soldiers chose fighting and attempted murder rather than fleeing. We see that anyone who chose to flee seemed to have made it out of the explosion including Bruce who was impeded and stopped to save Henri/Ra?s.

So Bruce acted in self defense and took less than lethal force, starting a fire is not the same as a direct act of violence against someone. After setting the fire Bruce made no attempts to keep anyone in the building with him and was able to escape himself despite being impeded by would be murderers. There?s simply no way to say Bruce intended to kill anyone in that scene even though self defense is a justifiable reason to kill.

We see this Batman often choose to use less than lethal force when full lethal force would be warranted. Shooting near the cab of Talia?s truck rather than right at it for example.

Contrast this with Batfleck who goes onto restricted property (port of entry) with intent to commit a felony (grand larceny of Kryptonite) so he can use the stolen goods to commit a murder (Superman). Regardless of the character of the security Lex Luthor was using, Batman is both legally and morally responsible for any death that occurs during that scene. He put himself in the situation while carrying out an inherently violent crime.

These are some interesting observations about Batman's moral responsibility for the deaths in the Nolan films.

A couple of additions to your points about Snyder's Batman. When making his first attempt to steal the kryptonite, Batman first tags the truck with a tracker. This give him the means to potentially obtain the Kryptonite without the use of force, but instead he attacks immediately and murders everyone he can--a great example being using the car (which is full of potential survivors of his initial attack) as a weapon to murder people in another vehicle. Murder isn't just something he does when necessary to secure his objective; it's something he goes out of his way to do. The only conclusion is that he relishes it.

Later, when he obtains the kryptonite at Lexcorp, there a question about who, exactly, the people he's killing are. Surely not everyone working a legitimate security job at a legitimate LexCorp facility is a hardened criminal like the KGBeast, right? Everyone is apparently fair game if they stand in the way of Batman's self-gratifying murder-plot.

OT answered your question as well as I could, so I'll leave it at that.

Sounds great, especially with the optional cape! An all inclusive package would be great so buyers dont have to source different parts
If I may, regardless if Hot Toys changes anything, I think the wired cap is definitely staying, so a long hanging one would be nice, especially with BB suit. (Like the one from Deanknight in his recent BB video)

Also the cowl looks great, nice, thick and toned, as it should be, looks already very good. As a potential buyer, I saw the Deanknight video, and his custom cowl even has moveable eyes, which adds a lot to the expression. Might up the price to, but Im not educated on that aspect. Its from Ben Choi I think.

Curious to see where this goes!

Thank you!

I?m familiar with the Ben Choi sculpt and while I admire his dedication to these characters and have a lot of respect for the more old school sculpting methods I just simply haven?t found those cowls to be very accurate IMO.

I am focusing on sculpt accuracy and swappable expressions because I believe I can manufacture them well. I think I could design posable eyes but my biggest worry is sourcing the eyes themselves. Printed resin and the paints I tend to work with I wouldn?t trust to hold up to the friction in the socket.

I?m not well connected enough to know anyone who could make some that would have the right color and detail. If someone has a supplier in mind for small glass like eyes I?d be open to modding my sculpt to accept them.

I have both. I swapped the front tires on the Elite for better scaled ones but it?s still way off. It?s wildly inaccurate and most of the proportions are off as well as it being generally too shiny.

The Hot Toys version is near perfect IMO. Someone just above you complained it?s too glossy. No clue what they?re talking about. The finish is 100% accurate. I?d say it sits somewhere between the flattest and shiniest it looks on screen. Some of the stills of it in the Bat Bunker make it look very flat but in begins it looks almost satin black in some scenes. I?d say the Hot Toys splits that difference and is perfect finish wise.

If I have to nit pick the Hot Toys I?d say that the silver rim on the rear wheels and slight lack of detail on the interior are my only complaints. It would be nice if it had lights and more precision inside but it?s still pretty accurate especially since most people will display it closed. I?ve seen some say the main windscreen is too vertical but I don?t really see it. I think it depends on how patient you are with setting up the closure.

Excellent review and I am in agreement with you. The nits to pick are minor. HT did an all around excellent job on the Tumbler.

Thank you!

I?m familiar with the Ben Choi sculpt and while I admire his dedication to these characters and have a lot of respect for the more old school sculpting methods I just simply haven?t found those cowls to be very accurate IMO.

I am focusing on sculpt accuracy and swappable expressions because I believe I can manufacture them well. I think I could design posable eyes but my biggest worry is sourcing the eyes themselves. Printed resin and the paints I tend to work with I wouldn?t trust to hold up to the friction in the socket.

I?m not well connected enough to know anyone who could make some that would have the right color and detail. If someone has a supplier in mind for small glass like eyes I?d be open to modding my sculpt to accept them.

Thanks for offering this update. My only concern would be in finding someone to paint the little bit of skin tone showing and most importantly, the eyes. The eyes are key, for me.

I have the Choi head on my begins batman figure and I really like what a difference it makes. I was really hoping for a solid release on this suit since Begins is the best of the Nolan movies for me and the suit is much more intimidating than the dark knight suit.

Damn, online shopping turned out worst than retail, taxes + shipping[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent review and I am in agreement with you. The nits to pick are minor. HT did an all around excellent job on the Tumbler.

Thanks for offering this update. My only concern would be in finding someone to paint the little bit of skin tone showing and most importantly, the eyes. The eyes are key, for me.

I will be offering painted copies just like my previous TDK sculpts. I have only been in this hobby for a couple years total but I own a Jaxon sculpt I ordered before getting into painting 1/6 and I think I can say my paint is as good or better than any painted copies you?ll get directly from my competitors. I?d also say it?s better than the Hot Toys paint on the original two releases of the Begins suit.

I?m not at the level of the master painters out there but I intend this Begins sculpt to be some of my best work yet.

f2a6dd66a8180afd4d7d2618435672dc.jpg

82ab949f5b8157e0b9628a44f4899ed5.jpg

I will be offering painted copies just like my previous TDK sculpts. I have only been in this hobby for a couple years total but I own a Jaxon sculpt I ordered before getting into painting 1/6 and I think I can say my paint is as good or better than any painted copies you?ll get directly from my competitors. I?d also say it?s better than the Hot Toys paint on the original two releases of the Begins suit.

I?m not at the level of the master painters out there but I intend this Begins sculpt to be some of my best work yet.

f2a6dd66a8180afd4d7d2618435672dc.jpg

82ab949f5b8157e0b9628a44f4899ed5.jpg

The Medicom DK sculpt is always my favorite & yours custom one with pers is perfect.

Thank you, this one isn?t either of my PERS swapped ones but a painted copy with modified eyelid sculpts. I had these cast and did a small painted run.

c12f49b19a17126f6d66020ea1900093.jpg

81f57f1d080e81e806fafdebe0629924.jpg

9ce3498f196cfcaec1b4c4347cbc9f87.jpg

Some quick sizing test updates. After a lot of testing and tweaks to the designs the chins are now printing ready to fit the cowl with no prep.

That looks great.

Hot Toys is pathetic. Always getting 1-uped by customizers. They could have easily scanned their 1:4 Begins and shrunk it down, but nope. It’s clear they don’t do any research for their products. If they did, people wouldn’t have to resort to custom cape for everyone one of their releases for the past decade.

Where will you be offering these?

I have my own website and have been around for a couple years. I think not being personally into or offering products for the Snyderverse has caused me to fly under the radar on DC stuff for most of this time.

I?ve been selling 1/6 drape capes for DX12, Begins, and the quarter scale figures and the DX12/Medi head above.

I?ve also got a big line of sewn and 3D printed/painted pieces for 1:12 and 1:6 Star Wars figures.

You can check it all out at shopotcustoms.com.

I do my own web design and photography so some things are a bit rough around the edges.

Back