Hot Toys Back to the Future II - DeLorean - Mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6. Disconnect power input cable from LED1(ground mode) board. Says “VCC” on it.
207A04FE-9099-4043-B1E2-4322B484FE84.jpeg

Last edited:
7. Now take your first jumper cable and connect from 5V USBC out over the LED2(flight mode) board into the BAT connector. This is literally 3cm away!
C5342B51-3406-4EE3-8ADB-CB61B7A5613C.jpeg

8. Now attach a jumper cable from the port to the left of “BAT” from LED2 board over to “VCC” on LED1 board.
7106CC2C-C88B-47D7-B2CB-F2AD70F81A2D.jpeg

9. And voila! Lights all on when USBC is connected. Digital power button completely bypassed.
738DC1CF-E57D-44C7-B709-396D8AA8EF4C.jpeg

I can finally put this back together and display it with a smart plug hooked up. Such a simple modification. Hardest part was opening the hood up.

And whoever finds this informative, please give credit where due. Don’t just steal the photos and instructions please.

Good luck! If you have all the tools and parts, this should take you at most 20 minutes in total time.

(When and if I get the Blitzway Ecto, I’d have to do a USBC powered mod on there. Another fun future project!)

Last edited:
I’m sure this will make perfect sense once I actually have a DeLorean and open it up but, yeah, right now that gif pretty much sums up where I’m at.

If that wasn’t confusing enough, I’ve plugged in the “switch” to LED2’s output. Then I extended the two output cables that come out of it. My idea for this is I can use the original power button to turn on an LED inside Mr Fusion and another one for the blue lights that go around the car. Another future idea/plan!

I’ve also removed the battery compartment to have easy access to the insides in the future without needing to take it apart.
4C4AADA2-FB0B-44F5-8BC3-C4F7090E4E5A.jpeg

I was just buggin' ya, cdx008. :duff

Thank you for sharing these amazing step-by-step updates.
Oh absolutely! For folks that aren’t familiar with wiring, circuits or soldering, this can be a bit daunting! With so many folks having issues with their Delorean, I was well prepare to do what it takes to get it right even if it’s quite over kill. I’m also more than happy to help anyone with this once they’d get theirs. Modifying “toys” is always fun!

Thanks so much for this cdx008 !!! This is where these discussion boards really shine and the community comes together to share their expertise. 👍

I’m fine with mechanical stuff but electronic wiring really is still a scarey area to me. But detailed explanations like this really help.
I’d also be interested in the Mr Fusion mod when you get to it.

That reminds me, I really need to return to my DeLorean V1. I have it in about a million parts ready for the mods, but life got in the way. The main thing I wanted to add was lighted time circuits and dash, plus a better flux capacitor and analyser. I have access to good 3D files now, so can print everything on my resin printer.

When i get back to it, these circuit pictures will be useful to compare to the V1 because I want to add more lights.

@cdx008 did you need to wrap the soldered join of the two female cables to prevent short circuit ?
I couldn’t find electrical tape so I used scotch tape. It’s such low voltage and amperage so it’s fine. I’d recommend electrical tape or one of those rubber joint things that you heat up. Honestly, these cables are so thin, any type of tape works.

Hi, any idea about how to remove these shelves with out damaging the vehicle? I want to make both of these shelves more accurate. Thanks.
IMG_3411.jpeg

Hello! I was trying to make the modification to swap the LED1 and LED2 jumpers. Perhaps when I pulled the hood area up, something got disconnected. The problem I have now is when batteries are in, the headlights/turn signal lights come on automatically, before I have pushed the switch. Pushing the switch does turn on and off the hover lighting, but never turns off the above lights.

Could someone check my wiring here to see if I plugged something in the wrong spot? Perhaps I sent the power cable to the wrong board? Attached are two photos.

Thank you!
Eric
IMG_4368.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg

Hello! I was trying to make the modification to swap the LED1 and LED2 jumpers. Perhaps when I pulled the hood area up, something got disconnected. The problem I have now is when batteries are in, the headlights/turn signal lights come on automatically, before I have pushed the switch. Pushing the switch does turn on and off the hover lighting, but never turns off the above lights.

Could someone check my wiring here to see if I plugged something in the wrong spot? Perhaps I sent the power cable to the wrong board? Attached are two photos.

Thank you!
Eric
IMG_4368.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg
I see you plugged in the battery compartment cable into the LED1 circuit. The one on the hood you removed. Pull that out and you should be good. Are you using USB C to power the vehicle correct? That’s the way the steps were made so the battery compartment won’t be plugged in anymore or it can go in the original slot. The way the new circuit works is that it will power everything the moment it receives power either from battery or USB C. There are no more on and off. The on off switch is a digital one on this Delorean so you can’t use it anymore if you want to hook this up to a wifi switch.

Btw I’m so glad someone was able to give this mod a try! 😎

Edit:
I should clarify here. There are actually two different mods here:
1) Simple mod: swap LED1 and LED2 wires. That’s it. This is so that if you press the ON/OFF switch, the moment it’s on, it’ll jump to flight mode + land mode lights. If you tape the button down, once you plug power in, it will light up and default to all lights on.
2) Advanced mod: Removes the ON/OFF switch all together, Re-routes all the cables from USBC output directly to the Land mode and flight mode circuits. USBC plugged in = all lights are all.

Last edited:
Hey there - thanks for the reply! Yes - at some point I will try that mod. Right now I just want to get it back to normal working condition, and then try swapping the LED jumpers. Any thoughts on how to do that?

Thank you!
Eric
IMG_4368.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg
Plug your battery compartment cable back here. This is the original location.
The connector on the left is power output from your battery or USBC power source.
11202746-77FF-4509-91D7-3F831AAC1F78.jpeg

Thank you so much! Getting closer. As you suggested, putting the battery power jumper there worked. It got it back to working order with battery. I swapped the LED jumpers which made the hover mode start first (although the headlights didn’t come on until the second press - moving that line to the LED2 board fixed that).

However (and I noticed this yesterday) - USB power doesn’t seem to work. Is there anything in this photo that I could try? I don’t know where the USB wiring is at. I disconnected the battery line temporarily for the photo.

Thanks! Almost there!
Eric
IMG_4383.jpeg

And for clarification in the above photo, the left jack is for the battery power (unhooked for photo). The right jack just goes to the three way button switch.

Back