Hot Toys Back to the Future II - 1/6th scale DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the first one have a lot of issues or is this all just happening with the new version?

As for me, I've seen quite a few unboxing videos from Chinese buyers, and I don't think I've seen a single video that mentions a problem with Delorean V2.

Wow that sucks. Personally I'd much rather have a problem with the wheels than the electronics, as there's no easy way to get into the car to fix anything if they go bad.
Yeah I'd definitely recommend cycling the lights a few times a day for the first week or so after getting this thing.

Mine were working fine for the first half hour. I cycled a few times and checked everything out, then I carefully closed the car door and all the lights went off. At first I was like "hmm maybe thats a feature where the lights go off when you shut the door? But wait, it can't just be where the lights only work with the doors open. That doesn't make sense". I started clicking the button and half the time it wouldn't register or it would turn on but only for a few seconds. So I replaced the batteries with yet another set of new batteries and it was the same thing. I took out the batteries and placed them back in a few times to make sure they were secure and again same problem. I started tapping the hood of the car and the lights came back on. Once they came back on that was it, I was no longer able to cycle the light modes or turn it off. Only way to turn the car on or off was to take a battery out or put the battery back in. From that point on it was just stuck forever in regular ON mode and sometimes flicker power on and off when tapping on the car.

I know Hot Toys has had a few flops with quality but has it ever been this bad? I can't help but wonder how widespread these issues are and how bad the materials used must be. I can't even imagine how much it would cost Hot Toys to do a full recall and fix the numerous issues these products have. The shipping alone on all those big heavy boxes would be costly just by itself. I wish I could hope that Hot Toys would fix this as I've been waiting since the MK1 sold out (I missed out on the MK1 bc my job at the time didn't pay well enough for me to spend that kind of money on a DeLorean barbie car). I also feel stupid for almost rather having a broken one than not having one at all. Once this sells out it'll still be thousands of dollars on the second market despite it's issues I'm sure.

fkn hot toys man...

Last edited:
Did the first one have a lot of issues or is this all just happening with the new version?
I don’t recall any issues. Mine was just fine at least. Comparing the two side by side, there are just so many fitment issues with the 2nd/new one. The fit and finish are just bad on the new one.

Some examples (Delorean 2):
Panel gaps, paint chips from rubbing, misaligned wheel well, door sticks out and not flush.

Attachments

• 26A25F6F-9792-4D29-B1FD-8CDED3D3990A.jpeg
    26A25F6F-9792-4D29-B1FD-8CDED3D3990A.jpeg
    594.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DBBA734C-F58F-4EBA-BBBC-F7D1EE36494B.jpeg
    DBBA734C-F58F-4EBA-BBBC-F7D1EE36494B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 1C8F662F-FDFD-414F-8C1F-B1B02FD0216E.jpeg
    1C8F662F-FDFD-414F-8C1F-B1B02FD0216E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 0570293E-DFC5-428D-BE40-86552CA01320.jpeg
    0570293E-DFC5-428D-BE40-86552CA01320.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Some examples (Delorean 1 from 2016):
None of the panel gap issues or misalignments or panel rubbing. Everything is flush.

Attachments

• F83E6B28-797F-470A-B26C-7F64D1CC8F17.jpeg
    F83E6B28-797F-470A-B26C-7F64D1CC8F17.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 857C667F-9EA0-47A8-8E9C-147CE2D8D256.jpeg
    857C667F-9EA0-47A8-8E9C-147CE2D8D256.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 5CBB998E-6C5C-47AD-8F5B-D61DDDAEBDD4.jpeg
    5CBB998E-6C5C-47AD-8F5B-D61DDDAEBDD4.jpeg
  • E921DC26-64F3-4FAE-B0AE-3C46C4F1F85B.jpeg
    E921DC26-64F3-4FAE-B0AE-3C46C4F1F85B.jpeg
If we remember correctly, shipping and cocoon issues aside, there wasn’t so much QC issues on the 89 Batmobile.
Mine was absolutely perfect in any way and 100% of the electronics worked perfectly during the decade I owned it.

Maybe there is a new factory which doesn’t work as well as the 1st one…

Last edited:
If we remember correctly, shipping and cocoon issues aside, there wasn’t so much QC issues on the 89 Batmobile.
Mine was absolutely perfect in any way and 100% of the electronics worked perfectly during the decade I owned it.

Maybe there is a new factory which doesn’t work as well as the 1st one…
Well I discovered recently that a headlight and the internal lights have stopped working on mine. Hopefully fixable. In particular because I'm now considering copying you and getting the Jazzinc Batmobile and in such a case would need to sell my Hot Toys. Ever since I actually contemplated getting the Batwing and the size and price of that suddenly the Batmobile neither seems all that big or all that pricey. And I think it might bother me to have an '89 Batmobile (Hot Toys) but not the '89 Batmobile (Jazzinc).

I wanted a Delorean too and initially this was massively tempting but not if it's going to be a QC ticking timebomb.

Yeah, me too, as a 89 hardcore fan, the idea of getting the Jazz Batwing wen through my mind but I realize that it was still just a completist behavior to fill in the gap.
It’s a wonderful piece but way too big and expensive. And I’m sure due to the size, It might cannibalize all the rest of your collection, making all the rest tiny.
The Batmobile is THE vehicle of the movie. It is powerful, menacing and sexy. Almost the 3rd character of the movie.
The Batwing is super cool, but doesn’t have the presence of the Batmobile IMO.
And if you have ordered the Batwing, you would told yourself:
« hey i ordered the Batwing from Jazzinc, I can’t stay with the HT Batmobile now, I need the car from him too… »
It’s endless…
The Joost’s Batmobile is already the pinnacle of any 89 lover ‘s collection.
The Batwing is the extra ice on the cake if you really have money and space.

Last edited:
Ugh, I just picked up Marty and Doc recently mostly as the supporting cast to this Delorean, but now I'm scared off of ordering. Not good.

Ugh, I just picked up Marty and Doc recently mostly as the supporting cast to this Delorean, but now I'm scared off of ordering. Not good.
This thread legit scared me off from ordering the BTTF2 car. Just far too much to worry about on such a large piece.

What sucks is that each replacement is yet another gamble of either another problem or a worst problem. I feel like we’re all just guinea pigs of a social experiment to see how much “fault” we can accept from an expensive product that we really want.

Problem is a lot of people will happily accept these faults. They’ll carefully pull out all 4 wheels and say “mine is ok”, fully knowing that the mechanism is defective and will eventually break with use.

Last edited:
Back