Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty fitted in fine. Its how i got the "lets see if you ba***rds can do 90" shot. Doc however could only really fit if you removed his boots
View attachment 537816

The car was very underwhelming. I expected more from HT. It just looked so bare inside and the way the doors opened and closed with a clicking ratchet kind of mechanism. The whole thing screamed cheap and tacky really. It still made for a great display piece but if anyone paid more than retail then they overpaid. I had to add in some extra wiring and a few other things
View attachment 537818
View attachment 537819
Nice mods. How do those add on Good Year wheel decals hold up over time ?

There's the Mr Fusion on the back. They're defintely going for a Pt1, 2 & 3 DeLorean I think.

Thanks Asta for the link and Ian Hart for the pics !

242249278_10165576120185612_3605882525404250420_n.jpg

Took these pics at the event.
Pt3 DeLorean signage says”prototype”. Again I think there is a decent chance this one getting made sign it is just a modified Pt1 version.

Attachments

• BB8125BC-CF90-44EC-B657-0A8DFE69DF33.jpeg
    BB8125BC-CF90-44EC-B657-0A8DFE69DF33.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 71
  • E92945E3-63B6-4238-B277-2640122809E7.jpeg
    E92945E3-63B6-4238-B277-2640122809E7.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 75
  • E6A44E02-AA83-4A0D-8B9B-DB884CDA20AD.jpeg
    E6A44E02-AA83-4A0D-8B9B-DB884CDA20AD.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 69
  • F7362451-B115-4FF3-BA6D-24505E9412A4.jpeg
    F7362451-B115-4FF3-BA6D-24505E9412A4.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 013EFDF2-DF96-4DA8-A1DA-11830DABA4D4.jpeg
    013EFDF2-DF96-4DA8-A1DA-11830DABA4D4.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 49F8D964-8A25-4ABC-AB64-3CB4C22CACAB.jpeg
    49F8D964-8A25-4ABC-AB64-3CB4C22CACAB.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 066780E0-973D-4B96-829C-EE635693562D.jpeg
    066780E0-973D-4B96-829C-EE635693562D.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 5E2DD151-2DD8-4D7A-83E7-D73D0662B184.jpeg
    5E2DD151-2DD8-4D7A-83E7-D73D0662B184.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 76
  • E5000DD0-D0B8-4CBF-A426-F7A1E97DC214.jpeg
    E5000DD0-D0B8-4CBF-A426-F7A1E97DC214.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 44E8CB45-C835-42F2-8D19-84934948B38D.jpeg
    44E8CB45-C835-42F2-8D19-84934948B38D.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 70
  • EEB94822-9371-481B-A187-BDEABAF91BC9.jpeg
    EEB94822-9371-481B-A187-BDEABAF91BC9.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 7320408A-F2AB-49FE-8A3E-7EE773F081BD.jpeg
    7320408A-F2AB-49FE-8A3E-7EE773F081BD.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 79D9933F-4977-45DE-A5CE-DAD5B12827E3.jpeg
    79D9933F-4977-45DE-A5CE-DAD5B12827E3.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 67
Took these pics at the event.
Pt3 DeLorean signage says”prototype”. Again I think there is a decent chance this one getting made sign it is just a modified Pt1 version.
Thanks for the great pics Coasterbriam.

Having looked at both, do you think it's exactly the same base vehicle, just with swap out accessories ?

Hope if they produce this that they'll remember to raise up the front of the car a lot higher. Toy companies never seem to get that right for some reason, and it's such a key part of the car's look.

bttf31990-0539.jpg

Hope if they produce this that they'll remember to raise up the front of the car a lot higher. Toy companies never seem to get that right for some reason, and it's such a key part of the car's look.

View attachment 538756
Very true! The DeLorean on display was def not lifted in the front. The tries were about the same size as the original release. Also I wish they could figure out a way to have the hood fully closed.

Is there actually going to be a lot of people buying a part 3 delorean?

I don’t see many people buying one. It’s the least iconic of the designs. And Why have three deloreans when you can free up the money and space for something else? Like a bat mobile or something.

I much rather they just spend some time re-engineering the mold and make swappable parts work. Time is what they have. It’s not like these will be out in 12 months.

I actually think hot toys will sell more cars if they did this.

Is there actually going to be a lot of people buying a part 3 delorean?

I don’t see many people buying one. It’s the least iconic of the designs. And Why have three deloreans when you can free up the money and space for something else? Like a bat mobile or something.

I much rather they just spend some time re-engineering the mold and make swappable parts work. Time is what they have. It’s not like these will be out in 12 months.

I actually think hot toys will sell more cars if they did this.
See, that is the perfect idea and makes tons of sense, and that is why HT won’t do it. I think they don’t want to remold/re-engineer. They def didn’t do that with the Pt 3 one. And tbh, the one on display was not in the greatest condition. Clips were broken and some of the paneling was coming loose and hanging off. I suspect it was an old Pt1 display piece. Changing the tires and aliding that contraption on the hood could easily be done, but it would be a very clean version if meant to be used on a Pt1.
i think the Pt2 would have to sacrificing something in regards to light up. I mean the original still didn’t even have light up time circuits.
I agree that if people were going to buy 1 DeLorean, the part 3 version would be the least desirable. I still believe they did not release the part 2 version because of the hover display.
I wish they would do an accessory pack to modify the part 1 version, but they won’t. Same way they should have done an accessory pack for S1-S2 Mando and look how that worked out lol. They don’t have our best interests. They never did. They will just release separate versions, if that is what they will do.

Last edited:
I remember something I heard about hasbro or some other toy maker having the rights to the flying DeLorean, I doubt that’s a thing but you never know, needless to say I want one and I’ll probably take a part 3 version too.

They don’t have our best interests. They never did. They will just release separate versions, if that is what they will do.

Obviously I don’t have any insight into supply chain and manufacturing processes of toys etc, but from my lay persons perspective I think re-engineering the model will result in more sales long term. People who bought the originals will buy the new version to have multiple versions. Completionists will buy three copies. And fence sitters like myself will tip over and go all in on the line: the delorean and the six Marty/doc figures.

Only problem here is maybe hot toys are not willing to risk pumping more money into updating the factory molds and risk not getting enough sales to recover. Which I guess is understandable.

They didn’t make much profit on Delorean 1 so they’re not going to sink a bunch of money into remaking massive metal molds. The only reason we might get a rerelease is they have those giant molds already paid for and just sitting around. Change a few bits, tires and license plate, add a hood piece and now you have a new version to sell to new and legacy collectors. This way you can make additional profit off the molds already produced and you didn’t spend a million dollars you’ll never recoup by making new vehicle molds, adding electronics, etc. C’mon, think McFly!

Last edited:
They didn’t make much profit on Delorean 1 so they’re not going to sink a bunch of money into remaking massive metal molds. The only reason we might get a rerelease is they have those giant molds already paid for and just sitting around. Change a few bits, tires and license plate, add a hood piece and now you have a new version to sell to new and legacy collectors. This way you can make additional profit off the molds already produced and you didn’t spend a million dollars you’ll never recoup by making new vehicle molds, adding electronics, etc. C’mon, think McFly!
Exactly- Tooling for vehicles of this size cost $100,000+ so there's no way they will re-engineer much.

Seems the Mr Fusion is simply on a grey panel which covers the original Part 1 plutonium chamber. That's an easy accessory. Same as the tray for the front hood.

As for Pt 2 flying version I'm not familiar with the underside. But if it is one panel, perhaps that piece could be re-tooled to fit to the rest ??

Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 16.25.08.jpg

If they could figure out a strong, simple means for swapping the wheels and if it isn’t a huge piece to change, an all in 1 car actually isn’t that implausible. Two sets of tires, 4 horizontal “flying adapters”, mr fusion, and the hood circuit piece. HT wouldn’t have to make any huge new molds adding fancy flying electronics or folding mechanisms. Though if nonremovable hats are a cost cutting issue for the figures, a bunch of swappable car parts seems like a long shot. And I still wonder about a heavy flying stand for a car and the weight placed on potential swap out tire pieces being a breakage issue but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
If they could figure out a strong, simple means for swapping the wheels and if it isn’t a huge piece to change, an all in 1 car actually isn’t that implausible. Two sets of tires, 4 horizontal “flying adapters”, mr fusion, and the hood circuit piece. HT wouldn’t have to make any huge new molds adding fancy flying electronics or folding mechanisms. If nonremovable hats are a cost cutting issue for the figures, a bunch of swappable car parts seems like a long shot. And I still wonder about a heavy flying stand for a car and the weight placed on potential swap out tire pieces being a breakage issue but stranger things have happened.
Just looking at the Pt 2 Delorean prototype they did. It's be so easy for them to have swap out plug in wheels.

See where the black piece pegs in, that's where other wheel types could plug in as well. Sturdy connection to the rest of the vehicle to take the weight etc.

Small axel for wheel rotation can happen in the black piece if needed.

I'm more and more convinced it's not a difficult thing for them to do.

Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 17.06.33.jpg

If they could figure out a strong, simple means for swapping the wheels and if it isn’t a huge piece to change, an all in 1 car actually isn’t that implausible. Two sets of tires, 4 horizontal “flying adapters”, mr fusion, and the hood circuit piece. HT wouldn’t have to make any huge new molds adding fancy flying electronics or folding mechanisms. Though if nonremovable hats are a cost cutting issue for the figures, a bunch of swappable car parts seems like a long shot. And I still wonder about a heavy flying stand for a car and the weight placed on potential swap out tire pieces being a breakage issue but stranger things have happened.
The Jazz Landspeeder has a transparent cube that rests underneath it to raise it. It supports it, though I wouldn't trust it to swap out any pieces like tires on the Delorean....

Just looking at the Pt 2 Delorean prototype they did. It's be so easy for them to have swap out plug in wheels.

See where the black piece pegs in, that's where other wheel types could plug in as well. Sturdy connection to the rest of the vehicle to take the weight etc.

Small axel for wheel rotation can happen in the black piece if needed.

I'm more and more convinced it's not a difficult thing for them to do.

View attachment 538809

Funny, that does not look like sturdy construction to me at all.

Exactly. After needing to lift and move my super heavy Part 1 DeLorean a few times, I would definitely not trust those clear supports to hold it up long term. More likely they'd need to use the kind of simple flat base my old diecast Sunstar DeLorean had, which kept the car hovering just barely off the ground.

Exactly. After needing to lift and move my super heavy Part 1 DeLorean a few times, I would definitely not trust those clear supports to hold it up long term. More likely they'd need to use the kind of simple flat base my old diecast Sunstar DeLorean had, which kept the car hovering just barely off the ground.
Exactly. That is why I feel it was never released. Finding a good design and solution to keep it in a dynamic flight pose may have been too much.

Of course the Mk. 2 DeLorean has a lot of lights related to the hover conversion. That would be sacrificed if an upgrade kit were to be made.

The hover conversion wheels would be swappable, but they would have to re-engineer the mounting system for the wheels. Right now I would imagine it is just a shaft connecting the wheels together, like a traditional car. But that would need to make a new mounting system to interchange the wheels since the hover conversion posts wouldn’t be able to be fixed on a shaft I presume.

As people have said, the Mr. Fusion swap would be simple, very simple. But, the Mk.1 did have that extra articulated metal piece and rectangular silver block that is not on the Mk.2, so that would need to be removable.

The Mk.3 hood piece could slide on, but it is such a snug fit, that you def would scratch paint. It would be best for it to clip on the sides, but that would result with the front hood being propped open even more while in the film the good was shut, even with the wires going into it. And obviously you would need to be ok with having a clean version of the Mk.3.

Could it be done? Of course. Hot Toy def has the capabilities. But regardless, everyone with the original would be s.o.l. because HT would been to retool things to get this done. And bless the collectors out there with the income and space to have all 3 versions of a 1/6 scale DeLorean! I feel lucky enough to just have the 1. And even if they release the other 2, I can’t have them due to the cost and space.

We will see what is to come. For all we know the displayed Mk3 will just be another long lost prototype. They even pulled the 1955 Marty and Doc prototypes for display, but the Mk.2 DeLorean wasn’t even there, so I def feel the Mk.2 was scrapped.

I was watching Danoby’s livestream from last night and one of the guys commenting who had taken a bunch of the pictures Danoby was showing said that he talked to the “CEO” at the event (I assume Howard but it wasn’t clear) and he was told they are still undecided about whether they are actually releasing another delorean of any kind because molding is so expensive. This guy was saying he came away a lot less optimistic after talking to him, so take that all for what it’s worth.

Back