Hot Toys Avatar: 1/6th scale Avatar Jake Sully Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks really bad.

The movie models looks so good it'd feel wrong paying 300+ for something that so obviously looks like a doll.

Last edited:
You mean the highest grossing film for 10 years?
It doesn’t matter how much the movie made, the first figure sold poorly, languished and was reduced multiple times (at least by Sideshow). There was little overlap between people who wanted to be blue cat people and those who wanted to own blue cat people.

Well they mention figures so let's see if they can make Neytiri and Quaritch.
They could be counting his mount as a figure so there's two right there. But if they really make that thing? Holy crap because Jake himself is huge so his ride will be absolutely enormous.

Avatar-Way-of-Water-Still-1-Publicity-H-2022.jpg

It doesn’t matter how much the movie made, the first figure sold poorly, languished and was reduced multiple times (at least by Sideshow). There was little overlap between people who wanted to be blue cat people and those who wanted to own blue cat people.
Yup first one sold very poorly. I remember seeing it at BBTS for around $120ish I believe. Most ppl didn’t want Jake without Neytiri, myself included. Also, they used super cheap packaging for it which made the unboxing experience even more underwhelming. And they cheapened out on the light-up display base for the final product vs what was advertised.

Yeah, even with large size action figures like Na'vi, collectors like having the option of world-building on their shelves and tend to shy away from one-offs. If this is another repeat of the first film where they make Jake and no one else then I doubt this one will sell very many either. But Jake, Neytiri, Quaritch, riding mounts for Jake and Neytiri (and possibly Quaritch as well), even some of the kids...that would be very tempting to invest in.

I pass on figures all the time if there's no accompanying figures to go with them:

Chirrut (No Baze)
Jyn (No Cassian)
K2SO (No Cassian)
Hunter, Echo, Crossair (No Tech/Wrecker)
Sold my Clone Wars Anakin because there's no sign of Obi-Wan.

Yup first one sold very poorly. I remember seeing it at BBTS for around $120ish I believe. Most ppl didn’t want Jake without Neytiri, myself included. Also, they used super cheap packaging for it which made the unboxing experience even more underwhelming. And they cheapened out on the light-up display base for the final product vs what was advertised.

I think I also remember seeing that on BBTS's older site, of course I wasn't interested back then but now I'd feel inclined. (I wish I could go back in time to pick one up..) Man, imagine if we could get Sully for that price today 😮 If this new one dropped I'd imagine it'd be around $300+ :thud:

If anything else but Jake is getting made, it's gonna be a male character because the body can be reused. These are horridly single use molds, much like with Thanos and Hulk.

I'm genuinely surprised we don't see more Hulks simply in the pursuit of making the maximum use of molds.

That being said, for being such a wildly popular set of films, there really isn't much of a high end collectibles audience. Hell it doesn't seem like kids are into it either. I remember the first film stuff just languished on the shelves, and I can't help but see the same happening for the McF figure lines. The only product I see having some legs are the Lego sets, and even those have quite the property mark up on the price. Adults who collect Lego are gonna put that kinda cash elsewhere, and I suspect kids will go for other lines where they get more bang for their buck.

Just a strange merch vs. popularity overlap here.

Why so much bitching about Jake?! lol Huge Avatar fan and I'm very excited about this release. When first movie was released I was teen and couldn't really afford such a stuff. Happy I'm getting another chance,I'm sure lot of ppl are in my boat. Everyone I know is excited about this release. Still want the original one tho,not a fan of locks hairstyle, love braids from the first movie more,paint definitely gonna be improved on this one!

Why so much bitching about Jake?! lol Huge Avatar fan and I'm very excited about this release. When first movie was released I was teen and couldn't really afford such a stuff. Happy I'm getting another chance,I'm sure lot of ppl are in my boat. Everyone I know is excited about this release. Still want the original one tho,not a fan of locks hairstyle, love braids from the first movie more,paint definitely gonna be improved on this one!
Cause compared to other figures it looks like a ****** doll :lol

I collect dolls, u all do lol

I think bc of character design it is impossible to make them look realistic, bc original characters still look cute and animated. Usually non human figures which look realistic aren't cute or cartoony. Idk how blue human-kitty can be transferred into figure and not look as a doll.For me It looks beautiful as is and I'm very excited. Also happy body isn't seamless.

I collect dolls, u all do lol

I think bc of character design it is impossible to make them look realistic, bc original characters still look cute and animated. Usually non human figures which look realistic aren't cute or cartoony. Idk how blue human-kitty can be transferred into figure and not look as a doll.For me It looks beautiful as is and I'm very excited. Also happy body isn't seamless.
I'm aware, but I don't collect ones that look inherently look like dolls; they need to be as realistic or as close to the source material as possible.

The original Jake Sully looks crap and this one does too imo. Better off with a statue tbh.

It does look like a doll, I had the original.

Its not for lack of trying on HTs part, its was detailed and had a great overall look.

But a HUGE and it was huge, Blue figure with a cat like face, Just cannot look that “real”.

Everything got exaggerated also, the joints were crazy obvious, no clothing to mask them…..

Try making a Tarzan figure and see how doll like it looks….

I remember being interested in the original Jake figure when it came out, but it seemed undersized at the time. Now that HT has released a number of 1/4 figures, making Jake accurately to scale would certainly be possible these days, I imagine. If they simply recycle the old mold, that would be disappointing.

Back