Hot Toys- ALIEN -Nostromo- KANE full spec and hi res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a name like Weyland-Yutani I'm sure you are JUST interested in the "research" of such products...riiiiiiiiiiight? :D ;)

Yes, just 'research'. That's what I tell my wife anyway. LOL! And I'm certainly building a 'better' world for myself!

Bingo! Something better always comes along sending the price of the next best thing tumbling. I just hope these do well enough to warrent doing the rest of the crew.

Perhaps 'tumbling' is not the right word. If we are talking about computers and IT equipment then yes 'tumbling' would be the right description of it's value. But figures - the worst that could happen is that the price becomes stagnant just above the initial value of the figure. Once supplies run dry then prices will start to rise again. My prediction.:peace

Perhaps 'tumbling' is not the right word. If we are talking about computers and IT equipment then yes 'tumbling' would be the right description of it's value. But figures - the worst that could happen is that the price becomes stagnant just above the initial value of the figure. Once supplies run dry then prices will start to rise again. My prediction.:peace

If you don't believe in a tumble, you may be blindsided. The 1/6 world has made exponential leaps over the last few years in terms of collecting base and A-list licenses granted to companies like SSC, Med and HT. I'd say from that perspective it's in its infancy.

Consider that each time Hasbro improves the likeness or articulation or general quality of a specific Star Wars character, say farmboy Luke for example, the previous version sells for next to nothing. Now what's stopping SSC from producing a new, improved, non-Buck, even better sculpt farmboy Luke with less annoying tunic and perfect paint app? Nothing. They can slap a stormtrooper belt on him and call him Death Star escape Luke and include all the same weapons and there's nothing we can do about it. That would KILL the value of the current Luke b/c it wouldn't be the it item for that character any longer. Sure it could hold value, but nowhere near its retail cost (Han Bespin).

I still think that 1/6 collecting hasn't made that turn in the road where things can tumble, but it's on the horizon. Can you imagine if HT was granted the rights to do the SW license? Not trying to go all doomsday, just saying that if you're doing this as an investment you shouldn't b/c there's too much uncertainty (not that playing the stock market is a sure bet).

Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the rant.

If you don't believe in a tumble, you may be blindsided. The 1/6 world has made exponential leaps over the last few years in terms of collecting base and A-list licenses granted to companies like SSC, Med and HT. I'd say from that perspective it's in its infancy.

Consider that each time Hasbro improves the likeness or articulation or general quality of a specific Star Wars character, say farmboy Luke for example, the previous version sells for next to nothing. Now what's stopping SSC from producing a new, improved, non-Buck, even better sculpt farmboy Luke with less annoying tunic and perfect paint app? Nothing. They can slap a stormtrooper belt on him and call him Death Star escape Luke and include all the same weapons and there's nothing we can do about it. That would KILL the value of the current Luke b/c it wouldn't be the it item for that character any longer. Sure it could hold value, but nowhere near its retail cost (Han Bespin).

I still think that 1/6 collecting hasn't made that turn in the road where things can tumble, but it's on the horizon. Can you imagine if HT was granted the rights to do the SW license? Not trying to go all doomsday, just saying that if you're doing this as an investment you shouldn't b/c there's too much uncertainty (not that playing the stock market is a sure bet).

Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the rant.

Yes, but I just can't imagine them doing a completely new Predator 2 (and I don't mean P2 BD version 3 but everything completely re-modelled etc).

With SW there are clearly improvements to be made in the figure which would make the old one 'obsolete'. But how are Hot Toys going to improve P2, Elder, Wolf even more I don't know (please note I don't mean extra acessories but a complete new re-model and re-paint). I guess you never know! Essentially, if the Toy companies do a new version of exactly the same character then I could see the price 'tumble' too. I'm just not convinced that Hot Toys or anyone else are going to redo the Predator 2 or Wolf line at 1/6 scale.

P.S. An argument against the 'tumble': Have you seen the cost of the Transformer acessories from the 1980's on eBay?! They are astronomical (I mean people are selling JUST the boxes for crazy prices). Although the Transformers of the 80's have been outdone (model shape, design etc.) their value is unbelievable.

Last edited:

Can you imagine if HT was granted the rights to do the SW license?

It doesn't follow that, what Hasbro does, will continue through to Sideshow. Hasbro= mass produced. Sideshow= collectible. Sure nothing stops Sideshow from milking a license, but the trend shows they choose not to go there. Why would they start now? So what you're eluding to is mere conjecture, and, as with the stock market, speculative. That is part of the fun of collecting collectibles. Buying what you like and sometimes it has the potential to rise in aftermarket price.

What am I supposed to imagine if Hot Toys was granted the SW licence? I imagine a higher priced item. More vehicular possibilities. I would still be just as disinterested, speaking for myself.

Have to say I agree, never look at these figures as long term investments, collect cos you love it. You might make a quick buck from a scalping here and there, but anyone who's planing their retirement around these better be prepared for a shock. In ten years time there'll be a totally accurate 1/6 figure of Hicks with silicone flesh real hair, a metal skeletal armature, alloy armour and a pulse rifle that counts down!
And in twenty years you'll be able to have a converstion with him!
You think I'm exagerating... OK, I'm exagerating, but I think you get my drift.
Civilised society will have crumbled well before then anyway!

Have to say I agree, never look at these figures as long term investments, collect cos you love it. You might make a quick buck from a scalping here and there, but anyone who's planing their retirement around these better be prepared for a shock. In ten years time there'll be a totally accurate 1/6 figure of Hicks with silicone flesh real hair, a metal skeletal armature, alloy armour and a pulse rifle that counts down!
And in twenty years you'll be able to have a converstion with him!
You think I'm exagerating... OK, I'm exagerating, but I think you get my drift.
Civilised society will have crumbled well before then anyway!

I agree, these figures are in no way a long term investment. But It's good to know perhaps that if you want to sell them in a couple of years for something else then they might be worth more than what you paid for it.

Elder from pred 2 would be a good investment IF you bought say 100. It doubled in value, sure, but you make what? $150?? In 3-4 months?

That's like saying buying one share in a company is a good investment...if the stock doubles, then yes you make money, but only off 1 share. You just have to put it in perspective.

I buy this stuff because I think it looks cool, fun to put together, and I like the themes. Of course, I sell stuff off eventually, to buy newer stuff, and if it sells for more than I paid...good enough.

^

Again, I'm saying to fund your collection, to keep your hobby money moving circular for you, not to actually try to cut a profit and keep it.

The Scars and Celtics move for pretty good coin now. And they also make good trade fodder. I don't know if the newer releases will be that popular, but the secondary market value for the stuff is strong, the loose parts market for it is very strong. I know some guys who did that with The Dead series. They bought a couple, kept one, sold the spare later to pay for both and if they made a little extra gravy, used it to help fund new stuff they wanted to buy.

At some level, it still comes to Buy Low/Sell High. For some guys, it's a way to keep from getting priced out and still collect the things they think are cool.

Yes, speculation, even very short term, for action figures is kind of nutty. The value of this stuff gets really really volatile. But if you had to pick a line or brand to take a risk with it on, people could do worst than some of the niche SST/HT stuff.

Like I said, I see where you are coming from with your point, I'm just saying in a very very small scale way, it's a strategy to make collecting this stuff a bit more cost effective.

GG

Yeah, I see what you're saying. If you can fund your hobby it works...as long as you buy two of the right figure. I probably couldn't swing it w/ the military figs I buy. I imagine in a year, all the current preds (wolf, wolf cleaner, BD pred 2, etc) will fetch double at least.

It's really a question of guessing right. Although the predator stuff has been pretty good in terms of rising in value, with most collectibles in general it's no certainty. And if you just buy two of everything with the intent to sell one later one, you're likely to only break even or even lose money, since you'll have bought a number of "losers" as well as "winners." As a side note, I don't really like the idea of people doing this with stuff like HT figures because it makes the supply of these figures even tighter than it ordinarily would be.

Well, I've bough a second hand P2 BD and a New Sideshow Exclusive P2 BD (with damaged biomask:chew). I plan at some point to sell one of them to make up for both. And I'll use them both too - one in the office and one at home.

I wanted to do the same for Kane too which is why I asked the question about 'investment' in the first place.

It doesn't follow that, what Hasbro does, will continue through to Sideshow. Hasbro= mass produced. Sideshow= collectible. Sure nothing stops Sideshow from milking a license, but the trend shows they choose not to go there. Why would they start now? So what you're eluding to is mere conjecture, and, as with the stock market, speculative. That is part of the fun of collecting collectibles. Buying what you like and sometimes it has the potential to rise in aftermarket price.

What am I supposed to imagine if Hot Toys was granted the SW licence? I imagine a higher priced item. More vehicular possibilities. I would still be just as disinterested, speaking for myself.

You're right SSC hasn't done it yet, but there hasn't been enough time to establish that sort of a trend. HT has put out multiple versions of Superman and now Batman (original costume). Why would I pay for a limited edition numbered Batman from a few years ago when I can get an improved figure for ~ $100 less? If there's money to be made, you can count on them finding a way to make it.

I'm telling you this is in it's infancy. If you recall, Hasbro dubbed their 1/6 Star Wars figures the Collectors Series so a company calling what I buy a collectible doesn't mean a bit of difference either way. It's not about mass production, it's about the laws of supply and demand. With that, if HT was granted the SW license the value of pretty much every SSC counterpart they would remake would be relegated to significanly lesser pricing levels b/c they'll no longer be considered the best likeness, best tailoring and best overall version in general. So what are you supposed to imagine? If you're a SW collector investing in toys, imagine your investment going down the drain.

Again, not trying to be chicken little b/c I love the toys, just saying this is not a smart way to invest in the long term.

A few quick pics I grabbed from Comic-con. The detail is so good on all these hot toys figures. Just wait until you see them in person.

P1000193.jpg

P1000194.jpg

P1000195.jpg

P1000196.jpg

P1000197.jpg

The sculpts on these look brilliant. I hope they'll confirm these are the headsculpts they are using - I cannot wait!! Hope they do the other characters.

Thanks for the pictures!

It really bothers me that the heads sit so low, though. I may have to try and fix that.

Yeah, gonna have to agree with you there.

Kane almost look ridiculous, his head sits so far down in that helmet. :banghead

Not sure how you could fix it though and not have them look like they have giraffe necks.

Dallas looks ok in that 2nd pic down, but I agree that Kane looks all wrong. The sculpt seems to have changed too, I can't tell exactly but it looks less like John Hurt than it did before. Could they have had approval rejected? It could just be me though.

Thanks for the pictures!

It really bothers me that the heads sit so low, though. I may have to try and fix that.

Could be part of the likeness game like face paint on the Predator figures. You can't see the faces clear enough the way they rest in the suit, so perhaps that's enough to get by the legals.

Back