Hot Toys 1/6th - Eternals - Thena

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
In the old days hot toys would make improvements before production but those days are gone. Whatever we see in the preview figure is what we will get. I am still getting this though.
They still improve sculpts after initial PO. Look at TROS Kylo Ren.

They still improve sculpts after initial PO. Look at TROS Kylo Ren.
And Endgame Cap and Hulk, as well as Endgame Thor’s beard to name a few releases from 2021.

I actually don’t think sculpt improvements were ever very common; it happened once or twice and collectors just started treating it like any bad sculpt would be better by the time of release. Actually the far more common thing, which I’m glad has seemingly gone out of fashion, is them putting figures up for pre-order with just a blurred placeholder image for the portrait and leaving us with no idea of what to expect until the thing released.

Last edited:
Like Scott Lang and Teethgate 😬🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
FB_IMG_1640797025645.jpg

By the way the sculpt looks great to me. Thank God we convinced hot toys to stop with the rooted hair on female figures! Imagine this figure with messy doll hair once people get it in hand and start posting pictures.
Yeah, I don't think "we" had anything to do with it lol.

Agreed. Makes me wish they had started doing that sooner, would have loved sculpted hair on the GOTG2 Gamora. Otherwise, it's a perfect figure.

In this instance I'm going to respectfully disagree. That helmet of plastic hair eliminates any decent dynamic pose for this figure. She has some nice weapons and looked great in battle on screen (see below), but the possibility of recreating such battle poses is now practically nonexistent. If they aren't going to give us swap-out hair pieces to allow for some head movement and posing variety than they should have given us rooted hair. The quality & appearance of their rooted hair on figures such as this with long, relatively straight hair has been quite good, so IMO the choice of sculpted hair was a mistake this time. Short hair or long hair in pony tails or braids should almost always be sculpted, but long, full hair like this should be determined on a case-by-case basis.

angelina-jolie-thena-eternals-marvel-900x450.jpg

c9f4d212e3f1cb2d0f10c9d38f3fc80051eabbc8.gifv

b50a8eb72afa7879dfcffe35437de34efa7aacf2.gifv

In this instance I'm going to respectfully disagree. That helmet of plastic hair eliminates any decent dynamic pose for this figure. She has some nice weapons and looked great in battle on screen (see below), but the possibility of recreating such battle poses is now practically nonexistent. If they aren't going to give us swap-out hair pieces to allow for some head movement and posing variety than they should have given us rooted hair. The quality & appearance of their rooted hair on figures such as this with long, relatively straight hair has been quite good, so IMO the choice of sculpted hair was a mistake this time. Short hair or long hair in pony tails or braids should almost always be sculpted, but long, full hair like this should be determined on a case-by-case basis.
I agree with you.
I think HT Gamora get a very good lifelike effect and likeness due to the rooted hair:
Gamora.jpg

If done right, rooted hair is perfection.

Is that what Gamora looked like out of the box?
More or less, yeah. Out of the box the hair sat a little too high on top her head…

F6182585-5746-4561-AC1C-F71AE6DB412D.jpeg

But after lightly watering it and pressing it down that piled-up hair look goes away pretty well.

33D7D832-9D76-48F3-9D0F-1B0AE3759BE1.jpeg

Yeah, I don't think "we" had anything to do with it lol.

I agree, rooted hair has its place and would have worked well here. I have to think blond/light hair especially has to work better as rooted than sculpted.

Give it up guys. The sculpted hair army has won. The thousands or messy firzzy haired pictures posted by the doll hair lovers basically back fired. Hot Toys realized all those pictures of their dolls looking like crap because of the hair and all the criticism that went with that was not good for business.

Give it up guys. The sculpted hair army has won. The thousands or messy firzzy haired pictures posted by the doll hair lovers basically back fired. Hot Toys realized all those pictures of their dolls looking like crap because of the hair and all the criticism that went with that was not good for business.
They literally put a rooted hair figure up for pre-order three weeks ago, and shipped a rooted hair figure last week.

Just depends on the figure black widow infinity war figure is pretty bad . Then you have Gamora!

Yeah too bad the hair on Thena looks very plasticky, and I think it causes lack of realism.
Hot toys has achieved the right rooting technique with Gamora, and to have Thena's hair sculpted, is a step back, IMHO.

Yeah too bad the hair on Thena looks very plasticky, and I think it causes lack of realism.
Hot toys has achieved the right rooting technique with Gamora, and to have Thena's hair sculpted, is a step back, IMHO.
Yes. This reminds of the Thor Age of Ultron hair. I would never suggest Thor should have rooted hair but because they put it across the front it really restricts how you can pose it. You can’t even lift his head up because it looks like he has way too much gel in his hair.

I feel like blonde hair both rooted and sculpted is harder to make look realistic. It looks very doll like rooted and it’s a hard color to get exactly right with sculpt/paint.

We have the rooted/sculpt hair debate about 412 times a year lol
There won't be any debates after the last few doll hair figures are released. Just the doll hair lovers complaining about the end of the doll hair Era. If it's any comfort to those people the knockoff companies will continue with the dolly hair because it not only looks cheaper it is cheaper to produce.

Back