Hot Toys 1/6 - The Mandalorian Death Watch Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such a great figure.
72339FB0-A0D0-4092-9965-5816224D3A2F.jpeg

I'm going to ask this and it may have already been talked about so I apologize in advance, but is anyone else bothered by the design of this character in universe? What I mean is, it's supposed to be the CW era, we saw DW in the series and these guys look a fair bit different, which is ok, but the armor is just repurposed Mando armor from 30 years later, when the in universe explanation for his armor is it's been cobbled together, the art of book even mentions the right thigh plate beings repurposed deathtrooper thigh, but then this guy predates deathtroopers. The upper body armors make more sense as they're a consistent and symmetrical outfit. Anyways I hope that makes sense

I'm going to ask this and it may have already been talked about so I apologize in advance, but is anyone else bothered by the design of this character in universe? What I mean is, it's supposed to be the CW era, we saw DW in the series and these guys look a fair bit different, which is ok, but the armor is just repurposed Mando armor from 30 years later, when the in universe explanation for his armor is it's been cobbled together, the art of book even mentions the right thigh plate beings repurposed deathtrooper thigh, but then this guy predates deathtroopers. The upper body armors make more sense as they're a consistent and symmetrical outfit. Anyways I hope that makes sense
Star Wars lore doesn’t make much sense in many aspects. This is one of them. Reusing armor where reusing creates plotholes…

Yeah it bugs me too. It's basically a repaint of Din Djarin's armour. I assume it was done for time or budget reasons.

Just got in my second Death Watch Mandalorian. I will probably pick up some spare armor bits when they become available to paint/customize.

I also picked up this print a while back to place behind these guys, waiting on frame to arrive.

Love these guys! Not the best picture, but here is a preview of my future setup. I need to work on my posing a bit as well.

20211129_141703.jpg

I agree with you. It does actually bother me quite a bit. But I try really hard not to think about it as not to detract from the figure itself, which is fantastic, even if the design has those issues.

It just seems like one of those unfortunate cases where real world budget and prop constraints affect the lore and visuals.

If their appearance amounted to more than just like a minute of screen time, I'm sure they would've made the suits more period accurate.

For the most part, I try to justify it in my head as, well, maybe that particular group of Fighting Corps members always had this style of armor. And Din Djarin kept parts of it and repainted it. He kept the blasters in his armory as @endo1 pointed out to me.

The thighs though, I just try not to think about. It feels like they could've spent the extra time casting symmetrical thigh armor for the show, but again, it was such a quick scene and we barely see the full armor anyway so I just think it wasn't a priority, unfortunately.

.... But is it not the case that many if not most Mandos are wearing armor pieces passed down from family and friends? And that some of these pieces can be hundreds of years old? Therefore its not surprising to me to see characters wearing old armor. In fact, Din's is surprisingly new.

I broke down and picked this one up. Had some gift cards in Amazon and found a good deal, to begin with. Already shipped out.

Thank you to all of you instigators. You know who you are... :thwak

:duff
You won’t be disappointed, one of my favorites. ;D

.... But is it not the case that many if not most Mandos are wearing armor pieces passed down from family and friends? And that some of these pieces can be hundreds of years old? Therefore its not surprising to me to see characters wearing old armor. In fact, Din's is surprisingly new.
Like the roman soldier, buying used armour or receiving it as a gift from their veteran family members. An armour set handled and serviced with great care could probably last longer than a generation of soldiers/Mandalorians.

The Death Watch figure arrived earlier this week and it does look great.

I truly hope we get to see him/them again in the series. I hope at the very least we get a 3rd party company releasing a young Din figure to display along side the DW.

Back