1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Iron Man Mark 7 Diecast

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some really really fantastic photos everyone! :clap I still can't decide on this or the BD MK85 to be my one and only IM figure. Can't afford more than one unfortunately.

I'd go with the Mark 7. You have the clean and battle damaged options, Tony HS, plenty of display options. The mark 85 is full of inaccuracies, pathetic HS and you would only have the battle damaged display option.

I'd go with the Mark 7. You have the clean and battle damaged options, Tony HS, plenty of display options. The mark 85 is full of inaccuracies, pathetic HS and you would only have the battle damaged display option.

Well, when it comes to most MCU characters I'm not a stickler for hyper accuracy like I would be for other characters. If it's close, and looks like it for the most part, I'm fine. The only character I've had many versions of in the past have been Cap. I've only ever owned Thor from the first movie and a defective original plastic Mark 4 from a bad seller on here years ago who sold me a broken, incomplete figure but lied and denied it :lol so, I've been a little hesitant about owning an Iron Man figure since then.

With that said, it's my understanding that the BD Mark85 hasn't been released (which is the one I'm trying to decide on), only the regular version which I understand the headsculpt looks bad for most owners among other things. But the inaccuracies with any of the armors vs their respective movie aren't that important to me as I don't pay attention at that level of detail like other's do. Just looking for a really nice armor to own.

I appreciate your opinion on both though :hi5:

Also, to be clear, I'm not trying to start a this vs that sort of thing in this thread nor am I looking for help on deciding. I was sort of thinking out loud, while expressing appreciation for the nice pics that were recently posted. I see the pros and cons of both, it's just very difficult to decide on a one and only especially with the BD Mk85 depicting such an iconic final moment for RDJ.

Well, when it comes to most MCU characters I'm not a stickler for hyper accuracy like I would be for other characters. If it's close, and looks like it for the most part, I'm fine. The only character I've had many versions of in the past have been Cap. I've only ever owned Thor from the first movie and a defective original plastic Mark 4 from a bad seller on here years ago who sold me a broken, incomplete figure but lied and denied it :lol so, I've been a little hesitant about owning an Iron Man figure since then.

With that said, it's my understanding that the BD Mark85 hasn't been released (which is the one I'm trying to decide on), only the regular version which I understand the headsculpt looks bad for most owners among other things. But the inaccuracies with any of the armors vs their respective movie aren't that important to me as I don't pay attention at that level of detail like other's do. Just looking for a really nice armor to own.

I appreciate your opinion on both though :hi5:

Also, to be clear, I'm not trying to start a this vs that sort of thing in this thread nor am I looking for help on deciding. I was sort of thinking out loud, while expressing appreciation for the nice pics that were recently posted. I see the pros and cons of both, it's just very difficult to decide on a one and only especially with the BD Mk85 depicting such an iconic final moment for RDJ.

Ok so quickly on where my own opinions and history with these 2 figures you are thinking on (of course no one has BD 85 yet and I?ll try to limit my prejudices from dealing with the regular Mk. LXXXV). Mk. VII diecast was actually a big disappointment when I first received it, I guess mostly down to the new engineering employed to be able to transform into pod mode that it actually took me a few months of sitting in pod mode before returning to it and giving it a fair shake. The Mk. VII can be extremely frustrating to pose BUT it is one of the most poseable IM figures so far (and I do own quite a few). Once I got a handle on the many pieces that would fall off while posing, I decided/learned that those rear flaps, the tiny red thingies below the flaps, the interchangeable thigh pieces and even sometimes the top rocket flaps are best removed when changing poses, even sometimes when it seems like a minor change. Also, because the legs are engineered to detach for pod mode, I?ve had them just fall right off more than once; it doesn?t happen very often at all, but it?s happened so please be aware. From what I?ve wrote so far, I am sure it sounds mostly negative but actually my feelings are very positive because those are my only gripes with that incredible release. All the other stuff that we mostly judge on other figures is done really well on the Mk. VII (paint, headsculpt, accessories, flexibility, design, etc.) and like I said, it remains one of the most poseable IM figures to date but goes way above that. The options for just an arm include normal mode, missile ready, the inclusion of fists, replulsor hands, articulated hands are all there as well as the laser beam deployed fists. Then they even included the swap out forearm pieces that were animated rotating while the laser beam fists were being fired which also give you the option of deployed forearm missile or hidden and lastly the inclusion of the BD shoulder pads. And that is just the options for the arms! As I?m sure you have seen in many pictures already, the display options are almost limitless even though many go for full on beast mode with all weapons deployed (guilty).

Switching to the BD Mk. LXXXV, my joke is basically that you get 1 iconic pose and some cool accessories to use with your regular Mk. LXXXV. Of course that is not even close to being true (except maybe the bonus shield) but I?d love to challenge anyone that buys one to NEVER try the kneeling/snapping pose, I?d think it would be almost less possible than trying out all the deployed weapons on the Mk. VII. Shoot, 9 out of the 24 official PO pictures for it are different angles of that iconic scene. Also for me, battle damage on nanotech based armors hurts my brain especially if that damage persists while weapons and other stuff is still being formed. IW Mk. L Thanos 1 v 1 battle I feel did the nanotechnology armor the most justice (again, as limited as my feeble knowledge can quantify it) by showing that once the supply runs out, Tony must shift what is left to make shields or swords exposing parts of himself that would otherwise be armored. I know, I get too hung up on some stuff but roll right on through other plot holes brought up saying something like, ahh it is just a movie but I can not understand why traditional battle damage would show up on a nanotech armor aside from just looking cool and it is just a movie. So there?s no chance the BD 85 will offer as many options as the Mk. VII and they are both arguably in the same category of iconic-ness with maybe a smidge more for 85 because it was the entire universe saved but I?d argue that with the nuke in A1, Tony thought he would die as well. I am actually really digging my regular Mk. LXXXV having added a Mk. L hand to hold the energy sword with my biggest complaints being the lack of LED?s in the lightning refocuser (not a concern for the BD version), the lack or pull down feet and of course that headsculpt (which amazingly looks better in pictures than in hand, which was surprising as it usually seems to be the opposite). Lastly, there is something funky going on with the top of the legs and/or the hips which may have something to do with the connecting ball joints and/or the thigh armor shapes or something I have yet to completely identify and quantify so that is all I will say as it is possible that my mind is playing tricks on me. So far, having a wide stance seems to mitigate this thing that I can not competently explain yet which, again, might just be my damaged brain cells or deteriorating eyesight. It?s a great figure that should never been released with that headsculpt so more people would have focused on, and given Howard **** for the lack of lights on the Lightning refocuser.

Good luck with your decision and In my opinion you will not go wrong regardless of your choice! My current pose:
DC71A43E-481B-4B94-829D-55C96EEB5A9D.jpg

Unfortunately, trying to compare a released figure to a separate prototype is tough. We're still not sure how the BD mark 85 will turn out. Hopefully HT nails it, we're owed that after the clean mark 85 debacle.
It seems like the BD 85 is half a$$ed. They should put a separate LED in his chest to light up the cracks in his armor before the snap, a separate damaged head sculpt post snap, and an unarmored hand when he was saying goodbye to pepper.
20210302_093722.jpg
20210302_093700.jpg

Unfortunately, trying to compare a released figure to a separate prototype is tough. We're still not sure how the BD mark 85 will turn out. Hopefully HT nails it, we're owed that after the clean mark 85 debacle.
It seems like the BD 85 is half a$$ed. They should put a separate LED in his chest to light up the cracks in his armor before the snap, a separate damaged head sculpt post snap, and an unarmored hand when he was saying goodbye to pepper.
View attachment 507588
View attachment 507589

So you do not actually want a BD Mk. LXXXV, you want a DEAD Tony Stark… never going to happen.

So you do not actually want a BD Mk. LXXXV, you want a DEAD Tony Stark… never going to happen.

And why wouldn’t that happen? Is not like they didn’t put it on screen for all of us to watch, I agree, BATTLE DAMAGE, should be exactly that...I personally love it when HTs does BD versions, but they tend to hold back a lot on how “damage” they are....mk85 they should have gone all out, I take it we all want that one pose of him on his knees lit up doing the snap, that’s one of the most iconic moments of the MCU

Fine, I don't NEED that sculpt. But I still feel there's more HT can do with this release.

As much as I would love to blame Howard for the “more they could do” I would suspect that the limitations on how bloody and close to death the merch depicts it, the more difficult it would be to get approval. Still, you are absolutely right that the chest should have the light showing the energy flow from arc reactor to gauntlet. And that would likely require more money spent on engineering which Howard definitely does not want to spend. Ideally, it would be a swap out chest piece that had terminal connections and the LEDs built into it but nope.

And why wouldn?t that happen? Is not like they didn?t put it on screen for all of us to watch, I agree, BATTLE DAMAGE, should be exactly that...I personally love it when HTs does BD versions, but they tend to hold back a lot on how ?damage? they are....mk85 they should have gone all out, I take it we all want that one pose of him on his knees lit up doing the snap, that?s one of the most iconic moments of the MCU

If that is really the case, buy a statue. And I love collecting 1/4 statues but as art much more than 1/6 figures which are fun as well as art but I get to play with my figures. It is true that 9 of the 24 pictures of the prototype for this showed the figure in that “one pose” but personally I would like to try other poses perhaps with Rescue and Rhodey.

As much as I would love to blame Howard for the “more they could do” I would suspect that the limitations on how bloody and close to death the merch depicts it, the more difficult it would be to get approval. Still, you are absolutely right that the chest should have the light showing the energy flow from arc reactor to gauntlet. And that would likely require more money spent on engineering which Howard definitely does not want to spend. Ideally, it would be a swap out chest piece that had terminal connections and the LEDs built into it but nope.

It doesn't even have to be that complicated. HT just needs to add a separate LED in the chest under the armor beside the arc reactor.

It doesn't even have to be that complicated. HT just needs to add a separate LED in the chest under the armor beside the arc reactor.

Yeah guess so, I would just worry about light bleed when using the less BD chest piece. But I would imagine that would be a non issue for some who even if done as you are suggesting, that piece would never leave the box or maybe just assume not even having the less BD chest option at all. Hmmm, me no likey; Howard needs to provide more as the years and technology moves forward and the prices keep climbing. I’d prefer not settling for Howard delivering the bare minimum.

Howard needs to provide more as the years and technology moves forward and the prices keep climbing. I’d prefer not settling for Howard delivering the bare minimum.

That's exactly my point. These figures keep getting more expensive, even in times like this, we should be expecting more. If we were paying the same old prices I'd be happy to settle but it feels like HT has been raising prices while quality is severely decreasing :(

That's exactly my point. These figures keep getting more expensive, even in times like this, we should be expecting more. If we were paying the same old prices I'd be happy to settle but it feels like HT has been raising prices while quality is severely decreasing :(

Hot Toys depends on hungry, invested collectors buying whatever they see fit to give them, and they're not wrong. At least not yet.

I think their quality at this point is uneven -- for the price point -- but I'm not sure for how long they can get away with it. It's been a decade(!) since I started collecting, maybe slightly less since I didn't start with 1/6th ... I'm just about over it but it's safe to say they onboard plenty of new, younger collectors every year and some people never leave ... welcome to the Hotel Howard Chan ... :lol

Hot Toys depends on hungry, invested collectors buying whatever they see fit to give them, and they're not wrong. At least not yet.

I think their quality at this point is uneven -- for the price point -- but I'm not sure for how long they can get away with it. It's been a decade(!) since I started collecting, maybe slightly less since I didn't start with 1/6th ... I'm just about over it but it's safe to say they onboard plenty of new, younger collectors every year and some people never leave ... welcome to the Hotel Howard Chan ... :lol

Agreed. Still, it's unfortunate that subpar /bare bones figures are now becoming the norm and this is what passes for "quality" these days. What's worse is most people seem happy to be sheep and don't challenge HT to do better and demand more for their money.

sad_batman.gif

Agreed. Still, it's unfortunate that subpar /bare bones figures are now becoming the norm and this is what passes for "quality" these days. What's worse is most people seem happy to be sheep and don't challenge HT to do better and demand more for their money.

sad_batman.gif

Almost everything has peaks and valleys. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's what, when you're in the middle of it. But there are a number of things that make me think Hot Toys has at least plateaued, even if it's not truly on a downward trend although my gut keeps telling me their best days are behind them, in spite of some great product every now and then.

sad_batman.gif

And when people do call HT out on their misfires you usually end up being targeted for being "negative" or overly critical. Sheep will be sheep I guess!

Ok so quickly on where my own opinions and history with these 2 figures you are thinking on (of course no one has BD 85 yet and I?ll try to limit my prejudices from dealing with the regular Mk. LXXXV). Mk. VII diecast was actually a big disappointment when I first received it, I guess mostly down to the new engineering employed to be able to transform into pod mode that it actually took me a few months of sitting in pod mode before returning to it and giving it a fair shake. The Mk. VII can be extremely frustrating to pose BUT it is one of the most poseable IM figures so far (and I do own quite a few). Once I got a handle on the many pieces that would fall off while posing, I decided/learned that those rear flaps, the tiny red thingies below the flaps, the interchangeable thigh pieces and even sometimes the top rocket flaps are best removed when changing poses, even sometimes when it seems like a minor change. Also, because the legs are engineered to detach for pod mode, I?ve had them just fall right off more than once; it doesn?t happen very often at all, but it?s happened so please be aware. From what I?ve wrote so far, I am sure it sounds mostly negative but actually my feelings are very positive because those are my only gripes with that incredible release. All the other stuff that we mostly judge on other figures is done really well on the Mk. VII (paint, headsculpt, accessories, flexibility, design, etc.) and like I said, it remains one of the most poseable IM figures to date but goes way above that. The options for just an arm include normal mode, missile ready, the inclusion of fists, replulsor hands, articulated hands are all there as well as the laser beam deployed fists. Then they even included the swap out forearm pieces that were animated rotating while the laser beam fists were being fired which also give you the option of deployed forearm missile or hidden and lastly the inclusion of the BD shoulder pads. And that is just the options for the arms! As I?m sure you have seen in many pictures already, the display options are almost limitless even though many go for full on beast mode with all weapons deployed (guilty).

Switching to the BD Mk. LXXXV, my joke is basically that you get 1 iconic pose and some cool accessories to use with your regular Mk. LXXXV. Of course that is not even close to being true (except maybe the bonus shield) but I?d love to challenge anyone that buys one to NEVER try the kneeling/snapping pose, I?d think it would be almost less possible than trying out all the deployed weapons on the Mk. VII. Shoot, 9 out of the 24 official PO pictures for it are different angles of that iconic scene. Also for me, battle damage on nanotech based armors hurts my brain especially if that damage persists while weapons and other stuff is still being formed. IW Mk. L Thanos 1 v 1 battle I feel did the nanotechnology armor the most justice (again, as limited as my feeble knowledge can quantify it) by showing that once the supply runs out, Tony must shift what is left to make shields or swords exposing parts of himself that would otherwise be armored. I know, I get too hung up on some stuff but roll right on through other plot holes brought up saying something like, ahh it is just a movie but I can not understand why traditional battle damage would show up on a nanotech armor aside from just looking cool and it is just a movie. So there?s no chance the BD 85 will offer as many options as the Mk. VII and they are both arguably in the same category of iconic-ness with maybe a smidge more for 85 because it was the entire universe saved but I?d argue that with the nuke in A1, Tony thought he would die as well. I am actually really digging my regular Mk. LXXXV having added a Mk. L hand to hold the energy sword with my biggest complaints being the lack of LED?s in the lightning refocuser (not a concern for the BD version), the lack or pull down feet and of course that headsculpt (which amazingly looks better in pictures than in hand, which was surprising as it usually seems to be the opposite). Lastly, there is something funky going on with the top of the legs and/or the hips which may have something to do with the connecting ball joints and/or the thigh armor shapes or something I have yet to completely identify and quantify so that is all I will say as it is possible that my mind is playing tricks on me. So far, having a wide stance seems to mitigate this thing that I can not competently explain yet which, again, might just be my damaged brain cells or deteriorating eyesight. It?s a great figure that should never been released with that headsculpt so more people would have focused on, and given Howard **** for the lack of lights on the Lightning refocuser.

Good luck with your decision and In my opinion you will not go wrong regardless of your choice! My current pose:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write out your thoughts. That really means a lot and I appreciate it :hi5: definitely a lot to take in, but I totally get what you're saying and coming from even based on my limited knowledge of each. My favorite of the "organic" armors I guess as many call it, is actually the Civil War armor but I missed out on that as I had to choose between Cap and IM and chose Cap. I also like the AOU final battle armor (sorry not good with all the numbers) but felt that one didn't come with anything really, meaning no bd swap pieces etc like many before, so I passed. But I don't want to pay aftermarket prices for any of them lol so just trying to find a great overall piece. And from accessories/switch-out parts, the MK7 definitely takes the cake, no doubt. The proto for the BD MK85 just looks really nice. Of course that's not a guarantee for the final outcome given the issues with the regular Mk85. Thanks again, I guess I need to watch more reviews of the MK7 for sure.

sad_batman.gif

The batteries, switches and lights on this $400 MK7 are the exactly the same as my $170 Avengers MK6 from a decade ago. Seems like that would be one area they would really want to improve. I can find $20 toys at walmart with more advanced lighting.

The batteries, switches and lights on this $400 MK7 are the exactly the same as my $170 Avengers MK6 from a decade ago. Seems like that would be one area they would really want to improve. I can find $20 toys at walmart with more advanced lighting.

I agree. So we get some diecast parts and we're paying that kind of markup??? Not including the shipping and import fees we get bent over with.
One LED to light up the gauntlet on the 85 is bull****. Even on Thanos, the mind stone lights up nice but the stones around the knuckles are only visible in when it's pitch black.

Inductive power is not a crazy new technology anymore, for the money a powered base or a case that can wirelessly light up the figure LEDs would be a game changer if they actually felt like innovating.

Back