Hot Toys 1/6 - Hellboy (2019) MMS527

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most just see it all as a job, and in recent years a way to inject whatever beliefs they have in a mainstream product. GDT put his own spin on it all, but it worked well enough. It's not a proper adaptation per se, but it had its own identity and didn't insult the source.
No your right it didn't insult the source. Del Toro is actually a big fan of H.P Lovecraft so he loves Mike's work on Hellboy because besides the pulp action and horror monsters and folklore the core of that world is lovecraft. Although I didn't have a problem with HB2 I like the first film more because it's essentially the closest to the comics source albeit with some changes to the characters. But the world mignola made is present. Really wish there was a writer or director who loves this world as much as Del Toro.

No your right it didn't insult the source. Del Toro is actually a big fan of H.P Lovecraft so he loves Mike's work on Hellboy because besides the pulp action and horror monsters and folklore the core of that world is lovecraft. Although I didn't have a problem with HB2 I like the first film more because it's essentially the closest to the comics source albeit with some changes to the characters. But the world mignola made is present. Really wish there was a writer or director who loves this world as much as Del Toro.
Exactly. GDT is just a huge horror/monster fan and he works on these films because that’s what he loves. You won’t see him doing a Spy flick for a pay check. It’s a shame Mignola kicked him out to make ‘19 because he thought he’d make more money that way.

I finally assembled mine this week, and since I’m not a box collector, I tossed it. Stupidly, however, I accidentally tossed the instructions— would someone kindly take pics of them for me? I’d greatly appreciate it.

I finally assembled mine this week, and since I’m not a box collector, I tossed it. Stupidly, however, I accidentally tossed the instructions— would someone kindly take pics of them for me? I’d greatly appreciate it.

Sideshow has them here as a pdf file:

https://www.sideshow.com/product-instructions?q=hellboy
This image is clickable and can be enlarged:

hb.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly. GDT is just a huge horror/monster fan and he works on these films because that’s what he loves. You won’t see him doing a Spy flick for a pay check. It’s a shame Mignola kicked him out to make ‘19 because he thought he’d make more money that way.
It was also because they had creative deference on the story and I imagine Del Toro wanted more say on that and the characters then what mike would have liked as it is his IP. And also the Del Toro was asking a lot of money to do the final film which the studio didn't want to fund as they felt the last movie didn't make enough money. I think Mike and Guillermo should have worked together and finished the film as best they could. The problem with the 2019 film is there were to many back seat drivers that didn't let the director Neil Marshall do his job and also tried to copy what Deadpool did as an R rated film with your basic superhero film formula (some light comedy) which doesn't work for Hellboy or his world.

Just got mine. Not just an awesome figure but one of the most complete releases from HT in a while. I cant think of anything else they couldve included. So many options for display I cant decide on one, but having the full horns on is a must for me.

20210702_191829.jpg
20210702_182019.jpg

It was also because they had creative deference on the story and I imagine Del Toro wanted more say on that and the characters then what mike would have liked as it is his IP. And also the Del Toro was asking a lot of money to do the final film which the studio didn't want to fund as they felt the last movie didn't make enough money. I think Mike and Guillermo should have worked together and finished the film as best they could. The problem with the 2019 film is there were to many back seat drivers that didn't let the director Neil Marshall do his job and also tried to copy what Deadpool did as an R rated film with your basic superhero film formula (some light comedy) which doesn't work for Hellboy or his world.
Why HB3 comes down to a couple of factors, but from what I remember it was mostly Mignola being a hardass and wanting his "own" HB flicks that didn't have someone else at the forefront. Ultimately, it came down to money and nothing more. I can't say I'm all that sad that it flopped, really. It was a cashgrab, pure and simple. I feel bad for Harbour but that's it.

Why HB3 comes down to a couple of factors, but from what I remember it was mostly Mignola being a hardass and wanting his "own" HB flicks that didn't have someone else at the forefront. Ultimately, it came down to money and nothing more. I can't say I'm all that sad that it flopped, really. It was a cashgrab, pure and simple. I feel bad for Harbour but that's it.
Yeah Mike's ambition to have his character become very popular then what he already was is what really ruined the new film, and to many investors who wanted control. I feel if we ever got lucky and found someone who was a big fan of Hellboy they do a series or film that was 100% accurate to the source material. No MIB B.P.R.D, No childish, teenage mindset from HB and no forced relationships that weren't in the books and of course no metropolitan background. Lol

Yeah Mike's ambition to have his character become very popular then what he already was is what really ruined the new film, and to many investors who wanted control. I feel if we ever got lucky and found someone who was a big fan of Hellboy they do a series or film that was 100% accurate to the source material. No MIB B.P.R.D, No childish, teenage mindset from HB and no forced relationships that weren't in the books and of course no metropolitan background. Lol
That would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. HB is on its last legs as a property. Hopefully it'll soon die off completely, and as it's left to mature, maybe a decade from now someone passionate about it will take a crack at a film or show.

That would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. HB is on its last legs as a property. Hopefully it'll soon die off completely, and as it's left to mature, maybe a decade from now someone passionate about it will take a crack at a film or show.
Yeah it will suck not seeing him for a long time and I feel Harbour should have had a chance to portray him accurately. But that's how these things go hope who ever plays him is just as good a fit as David and Ron was.

Yeah it will suck not seeing him for a long time and I feel Harbour should have had a chance to portray him accurately. But that's how these things go hope who ever plays him is just as good a fit as David and Ron was.
Time willl tell, I suppose. But between HB & Red Guardian, Harbour gets wasted completely no matter where. Maybe he'll have better luck at DC or something.

Hell I’d take animated movies in the vein of HBO’s Spawn but use the the actual comics as their story boards. I’d be all in on that. I agree though Harbors rendition is the closest we’ve got to the actual comics ever put to film….sadly I also agree this will probably be the last time we will see HB on the silver screen, which is truly sad because there is a plethora of incredible stories that haven’t been told that are all worthy of the opportunity.

Hell I’d take animated movies in the vein of HBO’s Spawn but use the the actual comics as their story boards. I’d be all in on that. I agree though Harbors rendition is the closest we’ve got to the actual comics ever put to film….sadly I also agree this will probably be the last time we will see HB on the silver screen, which is truly sad because there is a plethora of incredible stories that haven’t been told that are all worthy of the opportunity.
They tried to do just that with Amazing Screw-On-Head, but it didn't get picked up since it was too unknown. They should try again, honestly. I'm not in love with Invincible, but people are eating it up, so there's a market.

They tried to do just that with Amazing Screw-On-Head, but it didn't get picked up since it was too unknown. They should try again, honestly. I'm not in love with Invincible, but people are eating it up, so there's a market.
They actually did do two animated films after the Del Toro films they were more closer to the comics in terms of characters and story. They even had the cast of the films voice their respective characters. First film called Hellboy animated Blood and Iron is a loose adaptation of wake the devil story and the second film sword of storms was an original story with one short story from the comics. That one takes place in japan. The art style was cartoony but it was pretty good.

They actually did do two animated films after the Del Toro films they were more closer to the comics in terms of characters and story. They even had the cast of the films voice their respective characters. First film called Hellboy animated Blood and Iron is a loose adaptation of wake the devil story and the second film sword of storms was an original story with one short story from the comics. That one takes place in japan. The art style was cartoony but it was pretty good.
I think I kinda remember them. They were made around the same time as that PS3/XBOX360/PSP game, right? Well, times have changed, the GA is into animation more, they could try again.

I think I kinda remember them. They were made around the same time as that PS3/XBOX360/PSP game, right? Well, times have changed, the GA is into animation more, they could try again.
Yup That's it. I know I think if we got a new animated series That's a bit more darker and closer to the comics. Also here is a cool little short film of the short story The Troll Witch which is well done and gives me more reason to want a series.

Yup That's it. I know I think if we got a new animated series That's a bit more darker and closer to the comics. Also here is a cool little short film of the short story The Troll Witch which is well done and gives me more reason to want a series.

All we can do is hope and wait at this point. But if Mignola wants to do something with the property, now's the time. Because the comics are on their last legs and I don't think there's going to be any funding for a new movie.

All we can do is hope and wait at this point. But if Mignola wants to do something with the property, now's the time. Because the comics are on their last legs and I don't think there's going to be any funding for a new movie.
Yeah he is only doing short stories for Hellboy and the B.P.R.D which is fine but I want him to try and keep the IP alive or even just go on hiatus and take a break.

Back