Hot Toys 1/6 - Hellboy (2019) MMS527

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first Hellboy figure is essentially vintage Hot Toys I think 280 is fair if the figure itself has held up. Perlman Hellboy could use a new figure though!

20210522_140811.jpg

Holy Moley that figure looks amazing when placed with other bases, but this takes the cake! I love how much the FFH Molten Man passes for a Hell-like demon! Looking forward to more pics man!

Definitely might be my figure of the year. Hot toys didn't disappoint, love everything about this figure if some people are still on the fence he's still up at BBTS don't pass it up if your a Hellboy fan.

Totally agree. I’m a huge Hellboy fan and actually liked the film. When this was announced I preordered 2, cause I knew I wanted both looks.

Attachments

• A25E514D-F276-4DE3-9DAE-8FD090BE3590.jpeg
    A25E514D-F276-4DE3-9DAE-8FD090BE3590.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 89
I'm on the fence about this. I like Hellboy well enough, but it's less because of the character and mostly because of Mignola's artwork. I don't plan on buying much stuff beyond the Library Editions, but I do want some 1/6th representation of him. The GDT Hellboy looked closer to the source, more cartoony, and I preferred the more detailed RHOD. Harbour's HB looks too rugged, too ugly and weird (which is ironic, considering Harbour is much better looking than Perlman). I'm not sure I'd like to have him staring at me in the night... It's a very well made figure, and it's tempting, but Hellboy needs to have a cutesy, more fairy tale look to him to work. For me at least. As it is, it's just an ugly devil in a trenchcoat. What breaks it for me is that the RHOD is this weird, rusty metal thingy instead of an old, hard, carved stone. It's a shame the old figure is such a brittle and expensive thing.

I'll probably hold off, in case they try another movie in the next decade with a more faithful look.

Last edited:
I agree he is scarier then the Pearlman HB but I prefer it myself. To me however the best Hellboy figure to date is still the 1000Toys Hellboy but he’s 1/12 but he’s straight out of the comics and absolutely a beautiful rendition of HB. For something big - the Mezco Comic version of Hellboy in 18” size is awe inspiring as a display piece. It’s just a big rotocast figure but people who no nothing about Hellboy are drawn to it when they see it in my collection.

I agree he is scarier then the Pearlman HB but I prefer it myself. To me however the best Hellboy figure to date is still the 1000Toys Hellboy but he’s 1/12 but he’s straight out of the comics and absolutely a beautiful rendition of HB. For something big - the Mezco Comic version of Hellboy in 18” size is awe inspiring as a display piece. It’s just a big rotocast figure but people who no nothing about Hellboy are drawn to it when they see it in my collection.
If it was any other devil-related character I'd prefer a more "scary" look, but Hellboy just came off as more cutesy, human-like than a full blown devil from the pits of Hell to me. Granted, part of that was Mignola's artwork, but still. I generally find the outfit to be largely boring, so I need the face to scream Hellboy for me to care.

As for the 1000toys one, yeah, that's the best one yet, straight out of the comic. But it's 1/12 and I need a 1/6 to "close the chapter". I'll probably get the 1/12 at some point, aftermarket and all, put it next to the comics themselves and wait in case they do another Hellboy movie, more faithfull this time. If not, well, it was always the artwork that drew me to the MignolaVerse, not really the characters or HB himself. I love the early books, and I've read quite a bit over the years, but nobody would really make my Top 20 Characters list or anything. I'm not really into Pulp, it's the Cosmic Horror aspect that grabbed me.

Either way, I think I'll pass and wait for a better version a decade later. It's a very well made figure, but the Harbour version just doesn't have charm.

I'm on the fence about this. I like Hellboy well enough, but it's less because of the character and mostly because of Mignola's artwork. I don't plan on buying much stuff beyond the Library Editions, but I do want some 1/6th representation of him. The GDT Hellboy looked closer to the source, more cartoony, and I preferred the more detailed RHOD. Harbour's HB looks too rugged, too ugly and weird (which is ironic, considering Harbour is much better looking than Perlman). I'm not sure I'd like to have him staring at me in the night... It's a very well made figure, and it's tempting, but Hellboy needs to have a cutesy, more fairy tale look to him to work. For me at least. As it is, it's just an ugly devil in a trenchcoat. What breaks it for me is that the RHOD is this weird, rusty metal thingy instead of an old, hard, carved stone. It's a shame the old figure is such a brittle and expensive thing.

I'll probably hold off, in case they try another movie in the next decade with a more faithful look.
Technically the RHOD is still stone in the film and it is done well on the figure. It's your choice but I think this will be sought after and very rare when he sells out.

Technically the RHOD is still stone in the film and it is done well on the figure. It's your choice but I think this will be sought after and very rare when he sells out.
It looks like rusty metal to me, I prefer the Del Toro look. It might get pricey, but I can't think that way these days, I have to get only the stuff I'm absolutely interested in. It looks really good from a technical standpoint, and I want a Hellboy, but I'm leaning towards waiting for another.

It looks like rusty metal to me, I prefer the Del Toro look. It might get pricey, but I can't think that way these days, I have to get only the stuff I'm absolutely interested in. It looks really good from a technical standpoint, and I want a Hellboy, but I'm leaning towards waiting for another.
Doubt it we will see another film. Only thing I hope for is they do a series for HBO or Netflix it would work far better that way as they can tell a lot of short stories from the comics. I would actually like to see Harbour come back as Hellboy but be 100% closer to the comic in terms of character and look. As much as I like the Del Toro films they were very inaccurate to the source material. The new movie was close for having many reference from the comics but it was still not 100% especially in harbour's acting and look though he did his best.

Doubt it we will see another film. Only thing I hope for is they do a series for HBO or Netflix it would work far better that way as they can tell a lot of short stories from the comics. I would actually like to see Harbour come back as Hellboy but be 100% closer to the comic in terms of character and look. As much as I like the Del Toro films they were very inaccurate to the source material. The new movie was close for having many reference from the comics but it was still not 100% especially in harbour's acting and look though he did his best.
I don't know, Hellboy has enough lore in it to justify another movie series. They just have to take their time. I'd prefer an HBO show that deals with smaller cases that build up though.

As for Harbour, I do find him likeable as an actor so I wouldn't mind seeing him more. The film just had a small budget and everything suffered. Yeah, the DT films departed a lot from the source, but they did have a flair. 19 tried to put so much stuff in there that it ended up a mess.

At the moment I'm torn between 3 figs. This, SM 2099 & War Machine Punisher. Each have their pluses and cons. WMP will never come out again, and Punsiher is under an embargo, so who knows how it'll climb in price. 2099 was one of my childhood Spider-Men, but who knows if they'll do a movie down the lane and we'll get one with a headsculpt? I want a Hellboy for completionism's sake, but I don't love the look of this one, though I don't know if there'll be another one. Decisions, decisions...

I don't know, Hellboy has enough lore in it to justify another movie series. They just have to take their time. I'd prefer an HBO show that deals with smaller cases that build up though.

As for Harbour, I do find him likeable as an actor so I wouldn't mind seeing him more. The film just had a small budget and everything suffered. Yeah, the DT films departed a lot from the source, but they did have a flair. 19 tried to put so much stuff in there that it ended up a mess.

At the moment I'm torn between 3 figs. This, SM 2099 & War Machine Punisher. Each have their pluses and cons. WMP will never come out again, and Punsiher is under an embargo, so who knows how it'll climb in price. 2099 was one of my childhood Spider-Men, but who knows if they'll do a movie down the lane and we'll get one with a headsculpt? I want a Hellboy for completionism's sake, but I don't love the look of this one, though I don't know if there'll be another one. Decisions, decisions...
I actually think if they do a HBO series it can be an anthology type series that way we can get all the short stories from the books with some new one's specific to the show written by Mignola and then it can have small details that slowly builds up to bigger story arcs that can become movies like seed of destruction etc. Ah ok if you had to choose one I say go with the one you know that has more value to you as a fan of.

I actually think if they do a HBO series it can be an anthology type series that way we can get all the short stories from the books with some new one's specific to the show written by Mignola and then it can have small details that slowly builds up to bigger story arcs that can become movies like seed of destruction etc. Ah ok if you had to choose one I say go with the one you know that has more value to you as a fan of.
Exactly that. It could be genuinely great, but you have to find people who care about the property and about making quality work. Hellboy's strength was always the atmosphere and Mignola's artwork. Once they lost that and the universe became too bloated is when things went downhill. Mignola rushed it so that he could turn into a proper painter, that venture flopped, and now he's stuck doing random minis. It's not looking good...

Honestly, there are so many things I want to buy for one reason or another, that most of the time I go by what my wallet can afford at any given moment. I have my "absolute favourites" that I prioritise above all else, but everything else is mashed up together. I have a specific idea of what I want my collection to look like as a whole, but as figures get updated, new shows and movies with new suits come out, and we're living in an age where it all moves too fast, it's tough to juggle it all. I'll probably flip a coin in the end...

Last edited:
Exactly that. It could be genuinely great, but you have to find people who care about the property and about making quality work. Hellboy's strength was always the atmosphere and Mignola's artwork. Once they lost that and the universe became too bloated is when things went downhill. Mignola rushed it so that he could turn into a proper painter, that venture flopped, and now he's stuck doing random minis. It's not looking good...

Honestly, there are so many things I want to buy for one reason or another, that most of the time I go by what my wallet can afford at any given moment. I have my "absolute favourites that I prioritise above all else, but everything else is mashed up together. I have a specific idea of what I want my collection to look like as a whole, but as figures get updated, new shows and movies with new suits come out, and we're living in an age where it all moves too fast, it's tough to juggle it all. I'll probably flip a coin in the end...
Yeah that's what is sad about that. Most of these hollywood writers and directors aren't big fans of source material. Hence why sometimes it's a hit or miss what was good about Del Toro is he loved it enough to make a good film out of it but with his own spin.

Yeah that's what is sad about that. Most of these hollywood writers and directors aren't big fans of source material. Hence why sometimes it's a hit or miss what was good about Del Toro is he loved it enough to make a good film out of it but with his own spin.
Most just see it all as a job, and in recent years a way to inject whatever beliefs they have in a mainstream product. GDT put his own spin on it all, but it worked well enough. It's not a proper adaptation per se, but it had its own identity and didn't insult the source.

Back