Hot Toys 1/6 Death Trooper (Black Chrome) Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm tempted by this one. Never liked any non-canon versions but this one has caught my interest. I think it would look amazing displayed with at least one of the regular versions. Perhaps as the leader of the group. Hmmm....
I would just consider it a "shiny", a trooper that has not yet seen action in his fresh armour, then the dirtier less shiny deathtroopers can be the ones with experiance :)

Last edited:
Am I seeing things right on the Sideshow site... is this now just available without an exclusive code?

It’s a strange form of convention exclusive, the ability to preorder before everyone else?

Convention exclusives have long been exclusive in name only. There’s only been a couple of figures that have not been made available outside of conventions.

Almost all of them, Sideshow will put up. And most just end up being like regular releases with an exclusive sticker on it.

But it’s better that way for us so no complaints from me. The last thing this hobby needs is actual exclusives that people have to fight for.

Convention exclusives have long been exclusive in name only. There’s only been a couple of figures that have not been made available outside of conventions.

Almost all of them, Sideshow will put up. And most just end up being like regular releases with an exclusive sticker on it.

But it’s better that way for us so no complaints from me. The last thing this hobby needs is actual exclusives that people have to fight for.
No, I agree. I'm not a fan of limited editions like that. I've worked SDCC for thirty years and got out of the hunting exclusives over ten years ago due to the aggressive greed on all sides of the equation. But I'm new to that world with 6th scale, and this seems like a very different approach than what exclusives used to be. If these were always going to be readily available, why did anyone ever worry about acquiring a code? And I wonder why Hot Toys ever bothered putting a limited time purchase window on their convention vouchers?

No, I agree. I'm not a fan of limited editions like that. I've worked SDCC for thirty years and got out of the hunting exclusives over ten years ago due to the aggressive greed on all sides of the equation. But I'm new to that world with 6th scale, and this seems like a very different approach than what exclusives used to be. If these were always going to be readily available, why did anyone ever worry about acquiring a code? And I wonder why Hot Toys ever bothered putting a limited time purchase window on their convention vouchers?

Aggressive greed; very appropriate way to describe convention exclusives.

Hot Toys makes the figures but Sideshow is the distributor here so the whole limited code thing is on them.

It was different this year than previous years so I think some were just worried the figure wouldn’t go up in the site as usual after the convention. Others were confident it would be.

Only real reason for the codes would be to create demand for the exclusives with perceived artificial scarcity. But I didn’t think they’d sell all the figures they had and they ended up on the site as expected.

The Chrome DT is still around and the Clone lasted long enough for most people that wanted it to get it I think. So it wasn’t too big of an issue ultimately.

Anyone know why the price is different depending on which PC is being used??
20220617_224447.jpg
20220617_224452.jpg

Attachments

• 20220617_224447.jpg
    20220617_224447.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Anyone know why the price is different depending on which PC is being used??

Conversion rate hiccup maybe? It’s an outside payment processor that handles the conversions to the your local currency that you see on the site.

It’s not a very significant difference so I don’t think there’s any intent behind it.

Conversion rate hiccup maybe? It’s an outside payment processor that handles the conversions to the your local currency that you see on the site.

It’s not a very significant difference so I don’t think there’s any intent behind it.
thing is I refreshed both pages multiple times and it still showed the different price. seems weird, surely if just due to currency conversion both PC's would show the same price and both would vary with exchange rate fluctuations but both remained as shown for the entire time.

Early bird special promotion at SW Celebration and the Tues after, included an offer of Free Shipping with the preorder.

thing is I refreshed both pages multiple times and it still showed the different price. seems weird, surely if just due to currency conversion both PC's would show the same price and both would vary with exchange rate fluctuations but both remained as shown for the entire time.

If you really want to know you could ask Sideshow.

I’m sure someone there will be happy to spend their day figuring that out instead of getting yelled at by someone who received a dented shipper. :lol

If you really want to know you could ask Sideshow.

I’m sure someone there will be happy to spend their day figuring that out instead of getting yelled at by someone who received a dented shipper. :lol
If I received a dented shipper I would write 100 angry emails before screaming at the sky in rage. Triple box or get lost Sideshow! the shipper is the most valuable part! (yes, I have a HT shipper box coffee mug)

Well, supposedly there were a certain number of codes to give out at celebration at the Sideshow booth. They even were giving out the codes online as awards and such. I think they realized that they weren't giving out as many codes as they anticipated at the convention itself. From what I understand, there was always going to be SOME available after Celebration, but there was much more than anticipated.

This is pretty much the way many exclusives have been for several companies. Hasbro included. They sell a certain number at the convention, then make some available online. While I "won" a couple codes from Sideshow during the event, I was never worried I wouldn't get one because these don't sell out as quick as say a Hasbro Black Series exclusive. Anakin Skywalker Dark Side sixth scale was a good example. It was sold at the con, then online and it didn't sell out for quite awhile. Now it commands a substantial aftermarket price. Sixth scale exclusives are their own breed.

Back