1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Avengers: Endgame Capt America

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one struggling with the heads being difficult to attach? I haven't seen much about it, but I have three and they are all a real chore... I feel like I may be missing something!
I broke my neck peg trying to apply the sculpt back on. I posted my pic of the broken peg a few pages back. Be careful, I got lucky enough to have SS send me a replacement body.

AVENGERS!!! Assemble

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE 3A SR UC.jpg

I think the pinhead issue is cause by hot toys' sculptor trying to replicate this look. Perspective distortion makes the top of the head looks smaller/flatter. IMHO, the sculptor should've use more than just 1 image as the reference.

side 2.jpg

The other problem is, hot toys want to reuse the old mouth plates. They forced the old mouth plates into the new head. It would be better for the sculptor to make from scratch than reusing old head.

Finally, to my knowledge, HT's sculptors are more traditional sculptors than digital sculptors. If you make the wrong proportions, digital sculptors can easily edit the file and test print as many as they like until they get the right proportions. Traditional sculptor, once they got the proportion wrong, they'll have to sculpt from scratch again. I think they know the head is too small but they couldn't do much about it as it would take more time to sculpt a new one.

I think the pinhead issue is cause by hot toys' sculptor trying to replicate this look. Perspective distortion makes the top of the head looks smaller/flatter. IMHO, the sculptor should've use more than just 1 image as the reference.

View attachment 545250

The other problem is, hot toys want to reuse the old mouth plates. They forced the old mouth plates into the new head. It would be better for the sculptor to make from scratch than reusing old head.

Finally, to my knowledge, HT's sculptors are more traditional sculptors than digital sculptors. If you make the wrong proportions, digital sculptors can easily edit the file and test print as many as they like until they get the right proportions. Traditional sculptor, once they got the proportion wrong, they'll have to sculpt from scratch again. I think they know the head is too small but they couldn't do much about it as it would take more time to sculpt a new one.
I agree with you completely, and that's been my issue with Hot Toys whenever they they dont fix heads that are small which most people assume the issue was the body.
Also, from what I understand, once hand sculpted heads are finished, once they go to production, there's a slight reduction in size.
So I think that's why sometimes, their proto looks ok, but once the finished product is revealed, the head looks smaller.

An example is the Golden Age Cap. Most people assumed that the body was too bulky. But it was because of the smaller finished helmeted head. When you replace it with the newer Steve Rogers head, or newer helmeted head, the proportions are fine.

Also the Justice League Superman. It was soooo pinheaded.
But once I replaced it with a custom head, the proportions are fine.

By the way, great job on your custome Helmeted Head. Gonna have to message you sometime and may pick one up once I get a little free time.

It can be two things. The body can still be oversized and the head smaller than it should be. Civil War Cap is chunkier than it should be and this looks like they used CW Cap as a base, and then just added the Endgame parts over it.

Back