Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe someone had some old ones laying around but HT has not reissued any of these figures. I feel like that would've made some news.

it was not on the news but they were made available in few online stores for preorder and few guys saw them too. ED, Robocop, Appleseed Barioes, I think Ripley and few others. so that someone must have alot of them laying around.

Anybody knows where are the screws hidden?
I want to have full access to the rubber of the legs and the waist.

Any thoughts on whether it's worth it to pay extra for a sealed figure? I know for a fact that the used alternatives have the cracked dome, whereas I suppose there's a chance the boxed figure doesn't.

Or perhaps a better way to frame this question is: does the dome with the mod podge fix applied result in a decent fix, appearance wise? Or is it noticeably different from a pristine dome to which a preventative measure was applied (and was effective)?

*Clarence Boddicker* ''Domes domes domes''

[SARCASM]Once again, thanks Hot Toys for making sure this remains the constant topic of discussion about your ED-209. Thanks a lot. Job well done[/SARCASM]

Any thoughts on whether it's worth it to pay extra for a sealed figure? I know for a fact that the used alternatives have the cracked dome, whereas I suppose there's a chance the boxed figure doesn't.

Or perhaps a better way to frame this question is: does the dome with the mod podge fix applied result in a decent fix, appearance wise? Or is it noticeably different from a pristine dome to which a preventative measure was applied (and was effective)?

Funny enough I just gave my ED-209 the most up to date stroke with his rubber care to make sure he stays pristine.
So you might want to check my video out. He?s years old now and almost no cracking, only the cuffs on his arms & legs have the slightest bit of crackage:

So I replaced the dry rubber dome with the acoustic fabric after all.

What a trash... Shame on you, HotToys!

We need to prepare the dome first. Fill up all the holes on the front and clean the edges from the old rubber and glue.

I've used a black Milliput to sculpt the front surface. Make it very smooth!!!

Paint everything in black and apply some matt finishing.

You'll need some patience to make a pattern. Use any cheap synthetic fabric with no stretch.
The rubber dome will help you to get the first pattern and then correct it working with the fabric.

I've got my pattern from the 3-th try.

Glue it with the transparent assembly glue. Coat the glue with a very-very thin layer and start gluing the fabric from one side to another. Do not haste. The assembly glue gives you a lot of time to make everything perfect.

Then I've used a black Milliput again hiding seams between plastic and fabric. Make few extremely thin lines and just push them in the seam areas.

Let everything dry for a 24 hours.

Then paint in black and coat with 4-6 layers of gloss varnish. I've used GamesWorkshop Ardcoat.

And we're done!
Nothing bad will happen with the dome like this.
Cover all other parts with the Mod Podge and there will be nothing to worry about no more.

Hope that it might be useful.
End of line.

Last edited:
Great job, looks awesome, but didn't you block the speaker?
Thanks!

No, the speaker is right behind the front "face" grid. It has nothing to do with the dome.
Trust me, it was completely disassembled. :3

Those holes on the front are enforcement ribs.

Nice work. I did the same for my V1. My V2 has not reached that stage yet, just a few small cracks.

I'm thinking of converting my V1 into a Military version with more armour and weapons and a desert paint scheme

Thanks, guys!

Hope that my experience might be useful.
I'm thinking of converting my V1 into a Military version with more armour and weapons and a desert paint scheme
It's a great way to have fun! V1 has less movable parts, so it will be easy and safe to repaint it.
And also you can experiment with weapons! I'd like to see one bad-boy military ED-209 with few M61 Vulcan like guns!
Please, post some photos if someday it will be done. ;)

I've used Honda Shin-Etzu grease. Applied it only once, the very first day ED arrived from Sideshow. Till today the dome looks brand new. All you need if about 1/4" squeezed out of the tube.
Highly recommend it.

Still no cracks on mine, grease used shortly after getting it
Great figure

Somehow I got lucky with the one on bought in 2014 during Sideshow's spooktacular sale for $250 and he's held up all this time.

DSC_0655.jpegDSC_0634.jpegDSC_0645.jpegDSC_0650.jpeg

Surprised to get a notification from this thread lol. Has anyone tried spraying the dome with plastidip? I figured that would word just as well but have yet to try it since I've applied the Honda grease and its held up fine since.

Back