Hiya from Germany

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astra

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hiya!

I'm Astra from Dresden, Germany. Former Eastern Germany, to be precise. Looking back, I always had a love for figures and miniatures, but back then there wasn't much in the ways of merchandise like it is now. I'd say my first collection as a kid was of rubber native Americans.
I did in fact make some of my own figures - what you can't buy you have to make yourself!

I also built a model of K.I.T.T. from "Knight Rider" from scratch at the age of 16. Just using cardboard and plywood.

The first time I came into contact with "real" action figures was with the 1:12 "Stargate" figures some years ago. The TV series, not the movie. Well crafted, spot on with the actors faces and well detailed and lots of character typical accessories. I loved them. Diamond Select Toys later also started with some 1:6 figures but sadly the series and the line ended before we got the whole team, and they were not really expensive collectors figures, rather just cheap toys.

While searching for some accessories for them in an online shop I stumbled about the President Obama figure that was displayed with light sabres and such, and I consider this my first "real" collector's figure. I was blown away by all the details - real buttons and real button holes at the shirt, real shoelaces and the belt and everything. Only complaint: He is rather white under his shirt.

I later switched over to "Doctor Who" and now am full in the hands of Big Chief Studios and their "Doctor Who" and also "Sherlock" line. Can't wait for all the announced stuff. Especially Jack Harkness. Especially him. And the TARDIS. And the Weeping Angel. And the Ninth Doctor. And...

So, because of my upbringing, obviously I never had any Barbies, nor would I have been interested in fashion dolls, but now I make up for that thirty years later with 1:6 figures. And I finally see the appeal. Better late than never?

You might have seen my pictures around the net somewhere already, be it on Livejournal, Facebook or Tumblr. Next step: Buying a good camera to keep up with you guys. I want to do this photographing stuff seriously now. My brother lent me his recently and you can see the difference.

So, hiya! Consider me hooked.

Back