Help with how to store hot toys boxes and parts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really see how a ziplock would cause smell; there's not really any odor to them in the first place. I keep all accessories in house, not with the boxes.
ziplock can still leech chemicals just not as bad as pp plastic leaving a glossy layer on the items rubber will react with plastic so beware.

No matter where I store them, mold tends to grow on the plastic trays and inner carton :gah:
those web like spots? try putting dessicant bags in. i have use those small candy like moth balls but sometimes they release chemicals that can react to plastic so i usually wrap them in tissue paper.

Hot toys are actually the only boxes I keep. I have hundreds of transformers and marvel legends. I only keep the hot toy boxes because I know the value with them. With the size of my collection if I threw the boxes away it would be thousands of dollars in value I would lose. As much as I don’t think I will ever sell them I’m also not sentimental about my stuff at all and I’ve sold a lot of stuff that I thought I never would. So with these I know better safe than sorry. Honestly some of the figures I’ve even went through the boxes and sold some of the accessories as some of the accessories went for a lot of money and I figured if I ever sold the figure the money I made now would offset what I would lose later. So a lot of my figures don’t have alternate head sculpts. I sold all the accessories to my homecoming tech suit Spiderman for about what I paid for the Spiderman when I bought it.
did you not learn from history? those g1 transformers worth a fortune complete with box etc. they might not show the value today but it would years later on.

Wondering for hot toys iron man do you guys keep the plastic wrapping inside? Or toss them out? I read something about plastization and how over a long period of time they turn sticky?
best is remove them and replace them with acid free paper as the tray is plastic and can damage the paint.
It's the type of plastic your usual ziplocks are made of. You want to look for bags made of polypropylene, its a more stable polymer than your everyday stuff. If the bags are sold as archival quality that's a good sign. That's why the zips smell after a while. I bought a box of PP bags maybe...8 years ago? Still using those bags to this day too. They're good and reliable.
pp are good, but not good for items that come in prolonged contact especially pressure for long time as the pp will leave a glossy coat onto the surface. rubber will react with the plastic also. i still use them but usually i put a piece of paper in between the bottom part where the 2 comes in contact by weight. tell you a story i used to wrap a new wallet in a pp plastic bag years later the wallet had a glossy patch which cannot be removed.

of course heat will cause the reaction to be worse.

i assume same issue for the jewel cases, so if i can remove the partition walls i would lay a piece of disposable fabric towel on the bottom.

note some plastic/rubber will leak plastercine that can still leech past the barrier and react with the plastic.

best is remove them and replace them with acid free paper as the tray is plastic and can damage the paint.
My iron man are in foam packaging and not the plastic clam shell style
So safe to just remove the plastic that comes wrapped brand new and Leave the figure inside the foam packaging

Back