Help with how to store hot toys boxes and parts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megagalvatron1

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Like the title says I?m trying to figure out how best to store my hot toy boxes and parts. Currently I?ve just had them in my collection room on shelves. However my collection is grown to the point where I kind a need the shelves for actual collection items not the boxes. I was thinking of putting them in my attic in my house. However I?m wondering if that is a good idea? So I figured I?d start a thread and some people can say how they have stored there are items and tell me if it?s safe to put them in an attic. I do know different temperatures can affect the figures and didn?t know if an attic would not be a good idea. For a while I kept them out of my garage not thinking about it for over a year and nothing had Happened to any of the parts. As these are the boxes some with shippers accessories and all of that. All my figures are on display. So what do you all think. Where do you all store your parts and boxes?

Like the title says I?m trying to figure out how best to store my hot toy boxes and parts. Currently I?ve just had them in my collection room on shelves. However my collection is grown to the point where I kind a need the shelves for actual collection items not the boxes. I was thinking of putting them in my attic in my house. However I?m wondering if that is a good idea? So I figured I?d start a thread and some people can say how they have stored there are items and tell me if it?s safe to put them in an attic. I do know different temperatures can affect the figures and didn?t know if an attic would not be a good idea. For a while I kept them out of my garage not thinking about it for over a year and nothing had Happened to any of the parts. As these are the boxes some with shippers accessories and all of that. All my figures are on display. So what do you all think. Where do you all store your parts and boxes?
I take all accessories out of mine and store them in Plano tackle boxes. Then I bundle together a few boxes from the same/similar franchise and wrap them in plastic (the stuff you wrap pallets with). Then they go out into the garage. I have two of those giant racks that hang from the ceiling, so they're up out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve kept my boxes in a non-temperature controlled storage shed for years. They’re just fine other than a little dust. Keep the accessories with the figures but the boxes will be fine in the attic as long as they don’t get wet.

I take all accessories out of mine and store them in Plano tackle boxes. Then I bundle together a few boxes from the same/similar franchise and wrap them in plastic (the stuff you wrap pallets with). Then they go out into the garage. I have two of those giant racks that hang from the ceiling, so they're up out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would never take the accessories out of the boxes because there is no way I would remember where most of them go.

I would never take the accessories out of the boxes because there is no way I would remember where most of them go.

You can bag the parts or use a small container and label them so you have easier access to them if you store the boxes in an attic or shed though.

My living situation will be changing for a few years and I won't be able to store boxes in my new place. Fortunately I'll be able to leave them where they are now, but my plan is to do tackle boxes or hobby part storage containers for the accessories and then foam layer whatever box I pack my figures in to take them with. Heck I might even be able to do the trays and nest them. But even that takes a lot of space eventually.

I used to use those bead storage boxes for accessories which are similar to tackle boxes but last year changed to zip locks and a storage tub. The problem with tackle boxes is there's always going to be some accessories that are just too large to put in there. I use the smaller tubs like 3-4 gallon size and I can put the stands or anything in there. Easy to label one bag w/ parts instead of every single tiny thing of a tackle box.

Plus a couple times I knocked those boxes over by accident and the parts went flying. It's a ****ing nightmare to put them back in the right spots then, bags all the way from now on. Take everything out and then the boxes just go into storage wherever, as long as it's not a damp basement and you'd have to worry about mold.

You don't think being sealed in a Ziploc would cause smell over time, perhaps temperature control prevents that? I'm in Texas so it's always hot, been hesitant to even put the boxes alone in garage or attic. Attic is probably a no go for me honestly, I see boxes breakdown or get brittle from that attic heat.

No matter where I store them, mold tends to grow on the plastic trays and inner carton :gah:

I use the clear hobby/jewelry bags that you can find at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. If you?ve ever ordered a part from somewhere like Toy Anxiety, these are the same type of baggies they use. They come in a few different sizes. I keep all the accessories in these and then either store them in drawers inside the Kallax shelving unit I have all my retro gaming stuff set up on in my collection room, or inside the smaller Tjena cardboard filing boxes that they also have at IKEA, which are easily stackable. I?ve never worried about forgetting what accessories go with what figures, you can easily find that info in any YouTube review video.

I live in Houston so I?ve been hesitant to move any of my boxes into the attic but I think it will have to happen eventually. Honestly I may just eventually go through and break down the more boring boxes I have (like most of the Star Wars figures) and throw out all the plastic clamshells, especially if they are figures I know will never be sold. I do have a small dehumidifier in my collection room which has already been picking up a lot of moisture as it has started to get hotter this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't think being sealed in a Ziploc would cause smell over time, perhaps temperature control prevents that? I'm in Texas so it's always hot, been hesitant to even put the boxes alone in garage or attic. Attic is probably a no go for me honestly, I see boxes breakdown or get brittle from that attic heat.

I don't really see how a ziplock would cause smell; there's not really any odor to them in the first place. I keep all accessories in house, not with the boxes.

I don't really see how a ziplock would cause smell; there's not really any odor to them in the first place. I keep all accessories in house, not with the boxes.

Agreed. Although I know it?s an unpopular opinion, I have ditched most of my boxes. I have been storing the parts in ziplock bags and then in a hefty storage bin. The bins are inside my house in a climate controlled environment. I haven?t noticed any issues over the last few years.

Just playing devils advocate, I don?t see how a ziplock bag could produce more of any issues than in the clamshell. Not much air circulation in either setting. Again, that?s how I?m storing mine though so the whole grain of salt thing.

I would never store anything in the attic (boxes, figures, etc.). I live in GA and it?s too hot in the summer up there. Even clothes change colors. Basements cause humidity issues as others have noted. Attics are too hot so I wouldn?t recommend either. The boxes could be okay, but if you care enough to keep them then I would store them somewhere safer.

It's the type of plastic your usual ziplocks are made of. You want to look for bags made of polypropylene, its a more stable polymer than your everyday stuff. If the bags are sold as archival quality that's a good sign. That's why the zips smell after a while. I bought a box of PP bags maybe...8 years ago? Still using those bags to this day too. They're good and reliable.

I used the tool drawer kits. Pretty good for most accessories. The largest ones won?t fit. I throw out the boxes

It seems that attic, garage, and basement are not optimal, nor removing accessories and putting them in an organizer. Have you considered shelving below your ceiling to store them? It would be less volume to heat and cool I guess.

It seems that attic, garage, and basement are not optimal, nor removing accessories and putting them in an organizer. Have you considered shelving below your ceiling to store them? It would be less volume to heat and cool I guess.

I can’t add ceiling shelving the ceiling is to low plus if I wasn’t my wife would disown me. For the time being I ended up just moving on underneath my stairs on my first floor. I’ll put some before and after pictures. I don’t know what I’m gonna do about growing my collection as there’s not much more room for any more boxes. Plus my wife is also pretty mad we lost her Christmas present hiding spot.
18BFED28-0928-43BC-A07D-1EEF15BB9276.jpg
image.jpg
A Arcade1up will be going there once the marvel vs Capcom one comes out
image.jpg

I store them similarly to what others here have mentioned. Smaller accessories in arts and crafts containers/organizers that have adjustable dividers -https://www.amazon.com/Outus-Organizer-Storage-Supplies-Compartments/dp/B0722NZD4N/ref=sr_1_22?dchild=1&keywords=crafts+organizer&qid=1592242489&sr=8-22. Bigger stuff sometimes go in the polypropylene storage bags and larger containers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WAVT8O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Some larger/more fragile stuff, such as headsculpts and statue parts are put in containers with pre-scored foam: https://www.amazon.com/SRA-Cases-Pre-Scored-Insert-EN-AC-FY-A030/dp/B071DWNL6Z/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=pre-scored+foam+pluck+pelican&qid=1592242789&sr=8-6

I keep my boxes in a storage room in the basement, with the shippers sitting behind the art boxes as shown in the picture below. If you take the accessories out, I don't see any issues with storing the boxes in the attic.

View attachment 487652View attachment 487653IMG_0655.jpgIMG_0657.jpgIMG_0656.jpg

I gotta be honest, looking at those pictures... I'm glad I throw my boxes out. I can't believe my wife ever put up with that lol

I gotta be honest, looking at those pictures... I'm glad I throw my boxes out. I can't believe my wife ever put up with that lol

I?m right there with you. I understand why people like to keep everything but it was a pretty liberating feeling to let them go. IF you have room then it makes more sense. I ran into the situation (and compromise from my wife) where it was between more display space for the figures or less display space for storage. It was a no brained at that point.

I?ve also resigned myself to know that I?ll make much less if I have to resale. I immediately break down boxes for ones I know I never will willing part with. I tend to hold onto the other boxes for just a bit and then have to ask myself why I may be on the fence. I make myself decide to commit to keeping it or selling it. I tend to keep them though as you may have guessed!

Back