HBO: The Last of Us

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1661159122089-jpeg.595764

Spoiler****

I found out what Pedro was looking at in this screen cap

9wj6a624pbr31.jpg

It does.

I'm looking forward to this now. It's hard seeing the Ellie we know so well in Bella Ramsay, so it's going to come down to the acting. And we know Bella can act.
I'm still not sold on almost any of the castings aside from Nick Offerman as Bill and Merle Dandrige who plays Marlene in the games as well and she looks like the spitting image of Marlene in the trailer, but I'm absolutely disgusted by some of the comments I'm seeing regarding Bella as Ellie, I'm sure she will do a good job, she pretty much stole every scene she was in on Game of Thrones.

Other than that is does look pretty faithful to the game with some changes here and there, looks like an airplane crashes during the outbreak for example and I think I know what they're doing now, instead of expanding Joel and Ellie's story it seems they will be focusing more on the backstories of side characters like Tess, Bill and adapting the enviromental storytelling we saw in the game via notes and such so at least it seems like there will new material and characters in it which is definitely a good thing.

Last edited:
I'm not a gamer and not sure what sets this apart from the thousands of other post-apocalyptic dramas out there, but the trailer looks good and it's got Pedro Pascal in it, so I'll definitely be checking it out.

I'm not a gamer and not sure what sets this apart from the thousands of other post-apocalyptic dramas out there, but the trailer looks good and it's got Pedro Pascal in it, so I'll definitely be checking it out.
The writing and the characters really.

I am not really liking the actor playing Ellie….

Shes just not really looking like Ellie at all, shes got an odd face?

She was in GOT? Dunno, I feel like they really lost something with that casting choice..

From the pics I've seen, the game character has the most generic face imaginable, so I'm fine with an actress who actually has some distinctive features on her and looks like a real teenager. And her badass character was one of the best parts of those final GOT seasons.

She was in GOT? Dunno, I feel like they really lost something with that casting choice..

She kinda reminds me of the girl who got her head decapitated in the movie Hereditary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still kinda 50/50 on this. Like most have pointed out the relationship will be key between them and I worry shifting focus to other characters (which they expressed the desire of doing) may weaken this.

Also, if this show goes anywhere TLOU2 I'm bailing anyways so I'm trying not to get too attached lol

I'm gonna be honest, TLoU as a package never broke new ground narratively. It's functionally the same zombie outbreak-reluctant adventure-change of heart story we'd heard many times before. The fungus concept was just a way to rewrap an existing narrative with a new twist in a landscape of zombie saturation. What made the game special was the delivery of that story, the moment to moment development, and your time with the characters (who are very well crafted).

If they can capture THAT key ingredient, that little bit of magic, then they can succeed. If not, then this will be yet another derivative of the aforementioned formula.

That being said, I am impressed. This looks to be one of the most faithful adaptions of a game visually. They look like they actually took the time to make it resemble what it is based on, which goes a long way.

I'm gonna be honest, TLoU as a package never broke new ground narratively. It's functionally the same zombie outbreak-reluctant adventure-change of heart story we'd heard many times before. The fungus concept was just a way to rewrap an existing narrative with a new twist in a landscape of zombie saturation. What made the game special was the delivery of that story, the moment to moment development, and your time with the characters (who are very well crafted).

If they can capture THAT key ingredient, that little bit of magic, then they can succeed. If not, then this will be yet another derivative of the aforementioned formula.

That being said, I am impressed. This looks to be one of the most faithful adaptions of a game visually. They look like they actually took the time to make it resemble what it is based on, which goes a long way.

What makes it special is the relationship between Ellie and Joel, and the ending which went against type. The story owes more to literature than to the usual themes of this kind of videogame.

The ending to TLOU was tragic. From that point on the relationship between the two main characters hangs by the fine thread of a lie, and when it breaks it'll impact on numerous other lives.

I see so much of Conrad's Heart of Darkness in both games. The novella ended with Marlow lying to Kurtz' Intended to protect her from the horrific truth. Marlow also has to live with the lie, and the horror of experiencing the darkness. If there'd been a direct sequel to Heart of Darkness Marlow might've divulged the secret to ease the burden, as Joel did in TLOU2.

Pedro and Bella should be good enough to capture the complexities of the relationship, as long as the script is good enough. They're likely going to be taking the dialogue from the game itself, because it was so well written.

Essentially we don't need a TV series because it's already been done by the game, but it's another opportunity to experience the characters, their world and their story.

Well the thing is, and this may shock you, Ellie is not a real person; so they couldn’t get her double to play her.

If I had to choose between someone that looks like the character or someone that can actually act and do the job well, I know which one I would pick.

She has already received praise from the original voice actor for Ellie so I’d just wait and see how she actually handles the role instead of dismissing her based on appearance.

Well the thing is, and this may shock you, Ellie is not a real person; so they couldn’t get her double to play her.

If I had to choose between someone that looks like the character or someone that can actually act and do the job well, I know which one I would pick.

She has already received praise from the original voice actor for Ellie so I’d just wait and see how she actually handles the role instead of dismissing her based on appearance.
No one is dismissing anyone. I simpley said I didnt think she looked the part based on the game. Everything else seems to be very close in look and design to the original game….She is not at all like to character in looks….

If she can carry the spirit of Ellie in her acting , great.

I just know, watching the trailer, I knew who everyone was right away. When they showed Ellie I was like….who is that character….then of course, it made sense that it had to be Ellie…..but I kept having the same reaction to seeing her face…who is that? Oh yeah thats Ellie…

I know Ellie has undergone design changes more than other characters from this franchise, but it has always come across as so creepy to me how obsessed TLOU fans seem to be about how she appears across every medium. Most comment threads on the internet regarding this character are always about how bad/different/strange she looks compared to the creepy model from the original (I guess?) with those buggy anime eyes.
It seems like everyone wants to try to be the only one who understands the character's emotions the most or else feels the need to cast their creepy opinions about her appearance.
I don't know, but seeing people being so overt in their views on how an underage, female. fictional character should act/look/feel in according to their personal tastes makes my skin crawl all over.

Don’t have an issue with how she looks at all but she did look the worst in the second game. The developers really wanted Elliot page and it shows. I liked the concept art of her playing the guitar while horses were behind her. That design was way better. Also people are always gonna freak out over a design of a video game character.
Sonic fans are notorious for freaking out over any change.

Her appearance has changed quite a bit across the different games, but it's funny to see people claim she looked "generic " or "weird" when pretty much everyone at the time agreed it was meant to look like Paige.

People get attached to the character they shared the experience with so I get it. I don't think its any thing weird or sexual as people seem to be implying.

Many people put up an equal amount of argument when they changed up the appearance of Peter Parker for the Spider-Man remaster.

1280x720.jpg

The remaster had newer facial capture tech and what not, but most don't care because it's not the one they went through the game with.

Tldr: Bella is a perfectly capable actress and I'm sure will fit the role well, but I can see why people would be disappointed that she isn't how they remember Ellie.

I actually love Ellie's design in the remake and Part 2, particularly how she looks more like her perfomance capture and voice actress Ashely Johnson, I was sick of people fan casting Ellen page, now 30 year old Elliot as live action Ellie. 😂

The improved animations paired with stunning realistic graphics and timeless performances make the remake my preferred way to expirience this story, characters and journey, I never looked at the show as a replacement or definitive expirience of this story so I've accepted that it's getting made and it's different, yeah Pedro and Bella don't really resemble Joel and Ellie but they're good actors the real make or break thing will be whether or not they have the fantastic, bittersweet and tragic dynamic Joel and Ellie are meant to have.

For myself, as someone who played all the games and DLC, the remake already gave us a "live action" version of the game as far as I'm concerned nothing will beat it for me I just hope the show lives up to the spirit of the game and it's characters so that TV audiences can fall in love with it just like the rest of us have...

Because it's truly a one of a kind expirience and you can't deny that view.
1664387649231.png

1664387679103.png

1664387672030.png

1664387542140.png

1664387445568.png

1664387600806.png

1664387971880.png

Her appearance has changed quite a bit across the different games, but it's funny to see people claim she looked "generic " or "weird" when pretty much everyone at the time agreed it was meant to look like Paige.

People get attached to the character they shared the experience with so I get it. I don't think its any thing weird or sexual as people seem to be implying.

Many people put up an equal amount of argument when they changed up the appearance of Peter Parker for the Spider-Man remaster.

View attachment 600712

The remaster had newer facial capture tech and what not, but most don't care because it's not the one they went through the game with.

Tldr: Bella is a perfectly capable actress and I'm sure will fit the role well, but I can see why people would be disappointed that she isn't how they remember Ellie.
The Spider-Man facial change is a huge middle finger for me. I absolutely hate it. I don’t need every marvel property looking like the mcu. I don’t care to see a knock off tom Holland in an older rendition of Spider-Man. It’s quite jarring that they even did that. He looks like he’s 12. Absolutely hate it.

Back