HBO: The Last of Us

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the very reason some people did not like playing the game, it felt like it was manipulating the player to feel a certain way about each character by having Ellie butcher dogs and countless people, while Abby pets dogs and fights the sadist cultists, all while telling us these people are just survivors like the player but it doesn't feel that way, no matter how many names are thrown around by random NPCs, especially when the last faction you fight are a bunch of piece of **** slavers that torture people for fun, as I said, there's a massive gap between their message and the actual game, violence begets violence yet I do notthig but kill people and dogs the whole time, the only moments of levity are flashbacks that are sparse and don't really progress the story in the present.

I can't rationalise Ellies trajectory in the game but I can see where they were going with it, I feel they should've balanced her gameplay more, because it's really just killing, solving puzzles, more killing and then guitar mini games, and as far as her PTSD, it feels it's only related to Joel and not the countless people she murdered, I think it would've been a genius idea if in the PTSD sequence when Ellie is going down the stairs of the chalet she saw all the NPCs she killed in Seattle (inspired by MGS3 obviously), it would drive home their message and show how truly affected by her actions she was, but it didn't feel that way at all.

RDR2 for example executes the idea of someone struggling with their actions of violence better, Arthur Morgan had been an vicious outlaw his whole life, the gameplay reflects his state of mind but also allows the player to influence some of his actions, when he is diagnosed with tuberculosis, the player is put on a spot, where do we go from here? Do we continue to be a vicious outlaw or do we try to do some good before Arthur checks out? The story directly influences the player, makes them question their actions and gives them the option to seek closure and redemption, in fact the final chapter has a lot of side quests the player can look for that have Arthur helping strangers, including those he wronged earlier in the game, all the while Dutch, his mentor and leader, keeps trying to pull him down a dark path of more worthless violence, that's why a lot of people loved the story of RDR2 it gives the player agency over what road Arthur ultimately chooses and doesn't force them to get redemption, and I do have problems with that game too but what I'm saying is it executed the same ideas TLOU2 presented way better, at least in my opinion.

And I also have to touch on the fact Ellie mentions in her journal her last talk with Joel and it's the memory of that that makes her spare Abby, why did she need to go on the hunt for Abby again and get herself almost killed to whatever conclusion she reached at the end? The game should've stuck to the idea her and Joel never got to have that moment she desperately needed, throwing that there in the end, even tho I did love the scene, feels disingenuous and makes the whole journey based on the lie that she hated Joel up until his death.

I feel like the series has to end on a third game as well, reason being TLOU2 put the narrative in a box with it's message, it won't make sense to have one or two more games of Ellie killing people to reach some goal, so I agree that Part 3 needs to follow Ellie on her road to redemption and end her story, and have Abby in it as a side character with maybe a small playable section, I still find her and Lev's relationship to be too rushed for it to work in an organic manner, and her quest for revenge is pratically effortless compared to what Ellie goes through so the parallels don't make sense to me, especially since Abby actually murdered Joel and a bunch of other people and seemed pretty much unaffected mentally by those acts as opposed to Ellie who seemed to be in a constant state of depression up until the very end of the game, which is why I hope TLOU3 offers her and the player the agency to go seek that redemption, I'm curious how do you think a third game will play out? For me a perfect and ambiguous ending like the first 2 games would see Ellie eventually join forces with Abby and sacrifice herself for a cure, finding her closure and then ending the game with a sweet flashback of her and Joel leaving the question of wether or not a cure was made up to the player's interpretation, but I'm sure it won't happen like that seeing how Joel now seems to be hated by his creators and a portion of the fanbase, go figure.
Good point. Rdr2 handled this better. The cycle of violence and in the end he suffered for what happened. I just feel like if you killed the others so brutally before then finish what you started.

people cry and say that the reason people don’t like tlou 2 is cause of Joel dying. That’s not true. Joel dying was a given eventually. It was the execution of it. It was wasted potential. Absolutely horrendous writing and not impactful at all. And they expect us to just love the new Abby character cause her dad died while trying to kill a child for a cure that may or may not work?
Gtfo outta here lol

Good point. Rdr2 handled this better. The cycle of violence and in the end he suffered for what happened. I just feel like if you killed the others so brutally before then finish what you started.

people cry and say that the reason people don’t like tlou 2 is cause of Joel dying. That’s not true. Joel dying was a given eventually. It was the execution of it. It was wasted potential. Absolutely horrendous writing and not impactful at all. And they expect us to just love the new Abby character cause her dad died while trying to kill a child for a cure that may or may not work?
Gtfo outta here lol
I also forgot that the revege cycle theme directly ties into the first game as well since John seeking revenge on Micah for his involvement in how things played out with the gang led Agent Ross to track him down and eventually to his demise.

I see that alot, that and politics but I also disagree that's the majority of people unhappy with the game, most of them are just unsatisfied with the execution of the narrative as you said and how they wasted the dynamic of Joel and Ellie, they barely explored it in Part 2, Joel's death was honestly so bad from a writting standpoint, there were other ways they could've gotten him in that room and killed him without making him look like an idiot or making his death a golfing meme fest, if I had written the story I would've had the player play as Joel and Ellie in the prologue, with Joel getting seperated from Tommy during their patrol and lost in the snowstorm, eventually meeting and saving Abby from a horde, after they're in the clear Joel would radio Tommy and others and Jesse would answer him and give the location of the chalet, Joel would cautiously make his way there with Abby not realizing Jesse has been captured by Abby's friends and he's walking straight into a trap, after he loses a kneecap ad is tied to a chair, the player perspective switches to Abby and you take control of her to punch Joel, after Ellie arrives there Abby would partially behead Joel with her machete instead of golfing him. That's just an idea for how his death could've been handled better.

Jerry was such a bland character, I hated how they made him this virtuous, kind fatherly figure, saving zebras in his spare time, that and the fact they made him literally the only person that could make a cure which seems impossible on it's own already, I don't know if it's what the writers intended but he seems like a huge dumbass and piece of ****, eager to scoop Ellie's brains out without even studying her and running proper tests, she never even had time to wake up from the tunnel incident and they already had her on an operating table, I hate how TLOU2 painted Jerry and the fireflies as the good guys when they were nothing but a group of terrorists in the first game fighting for a lost cause and desperate enough to kill a child for a cure that wasn't even certain likely with intentions of using it as leverage over Fedra.

I also think the biggest crime is how they lied to the players about the story. I know sometimes studios do that but this was downright scummy. That Joel reveal trailer they dropped only for him to not even be in that specific part of the game and act like he would tag along on our quest was stupid and crappy on there part

I also think the biggest crime is how they lied to the players about the story. I know sometimes studios do that but this was downright scummy. That Joel reveal trailer they dropped only for him to not even be in that specific part of the game and act like he would tag along on our quest was stupid and crappy on there part
Man I can't even look at that trailer anymore lol, one thing is switching models, then there's creating an entire fake scene for a trailer and demo to give the press, banking on the love people have for this iconic duo.

The funny thing is before that trailer dropped I was convinced Joel was killed and Ellie was seeking revenge for his death, then that trailer threw me off and I thought "Ok so Joel will at least be alive for a portion of the game" my theory before the leaks came out was that fireflies attacked Jackson in search of Ellie and Dina got killed, Ellie would then seek vengeance against the fireflies not knowing why they attacked and then Joel would catch up with her and eventually tell her the truth, which would strain their relationship severely, Ellie would get her revenge but Joel would die getting infected as a bit of poetic justice with Ellie reaching him only for it to be too late and find a turned Joel, realizing in the end her thirst for revenge and hatred cost her everything, I figured Abby would factor in somehow as a playable but I didn't know how or why, of course all of this was shattered once leaks came out but Joel dying was the least surprising thing about those leaks.

I actually wonder if in an attempt to hide Joel's fate on the show, they will have Pedro Pascal film fake scenes for the trailers of the second season much like the game. :lol

Man I can't even look at that trailer anymore lol, one thing is switching models, then there's creating an entire fake scene for a trailer and demo to give the press, banking on the love people have for this iconic duo.

The funny thing is before that trailer dropped I was convinced Joel was killed and Ellie was seeking revenge for his death, then that trailer threw me off and I thought "Ok so Joel will at least be alive for a portion of the game" my theory before the leaks came out was that fireflies attacked Jackson in search of Ellie and Dina got killed, Ellie would then seek vengeance against the fireflies not knowing why they attacked and then Joel would catch up with her and eventually tell her the truth, which would strain their relationship severely, Ellie would get her revenge but Joel would die getting infected as a bit of poetic justice with Ellie reaching him only for it to be too late and find a turned Joel, realizing in the end her thirst for revenge and hatred cost her everything, I figured Abby would factor in somehow as a playable but I didn't know how or why, of course all of this was shattered once leaks came out but Joel dying was the least surprising thing about those leaks.

I actually wonder if in an attempt to hide Joel's fate on the show, they will have Pedro Pascal film fake scenes for the trailers of the second season much like the game. :lol
Lol I like your story much better than what we got and I could see HBO doing something stupid like that. But I feel like they are going to pull a walking dead and change the whole story around since they will be people who watch that don't play the video game. So they will kill a main character in a stupid way and alienate the entire audience. I don't think they want another game of thrones situation.

The relationship between Joel and Ellie was part of what made the first game so special. Most of their relationship in the second game is seen through flashbacks (because he’s dead) and it just doesn’t have the same weight or impact to it.

The relationship between Joel and Ellie was part of what made the first game so special. Most of their relationship in the second game is seen through flashbacks (because he’s dead) and it just doesn’t have the same weight or impact to it.

The first game is a love story growing out of a tragedy, (the loss of Joel's real daughter). The second game is a tragedy emanating from the actions Joel undertook out of love for Ellie, his surrogate daughter.

The weight to the relationship in TLOU2 comes from feelings of loss and regret about things left unsaid. Ellie's relationship with Joel evolves throughout the game as she comes to terms with what he did, and why he did it, realising she should've forgiven him.

The final flashback is a gut wrencher.

Ellie rails against Joel, telling him straight that, "I was supposed to die in that hospital. My life would have f***ing mattered. But you took that from me."

Joel responds: "If somehow the Lord gave me a second chance at that moment... I would do it all over again."

Ellie: "Yeah... I just... I don't think I can ever forgive you for that. But I would like to try."

Joel: "I'd like that."

Ellie: "Okay. I'll see you around."

Joel: "Yep." His voice is breaking and he's only just managing to hold himself together.

It's gut wrenching for Ellie because she came so close to forgiving Joel, but couldn't actually bring herself to do it.

The tragedy is that Joel's love was so deep that he was blind to Ellie's wishes. It was an impossible situation, and was laid out as such at the end of TLOU with the minimal, and unconvincingly resolved conversation they shared on the matter.

The acting in both games is so good that the words and emotions resonate. We tend to prefer happy endings, and for problems to be resolved. Yet TLOU was always more concerned with something deeper, not with black and white, good and bad, but with the complexities brought about by base human emotions which override reason or logic.

Again, it's atypical for a video game to go this route.

Sad endings have their place in literature and film. Shakespeare wrote tragedies as well as comedies, because the range of emotions cause us to dwell on different thoughts. The end of TLOU2 stuck with me for days, and it still recalls memories of a more personal nature every time I revisit it. It makes me think of my mother who was taken very quickly and unexpectedly by cancer, and the things I wish I had said... and those I wish I hadn't.

I don’t see it that way I’m sorry. I just see a studio taking a giant crap on what made the first story great. It wasn’t a love story that was tragic it was a story about hope and how even on the darkest of days you can find something to fight for and push on. Even if you think you lost something, you’ll find it again . The second one completely ruined that dynamic. They made the characters drift apart and destroy that hope and kill the relationship they shared making the first game meaningless.
And for what?
Abby?

the ending wasn’t sad it was just terribly written.
Terrible writing , terrible development and awful marketing . I’m glad those that feel the game is good are in the minority because naughty dog should really rethink many things .
I’m sure the tv show isn’t going to follow that ****** Abby storyline due to the backlash

Naughty dog were so hesitant on making a second one and continuing but the fans asked for it . Hell I think they announced a remake which I find hilarious

Last edited:
I don’t see it that way I’m sorry. I just see a studio taking a giant crap on what made the first story great. It wasn’t a love story that was tragic it was a story about hope and how even on the darkest of days you can find something to fight for and push on. Even if you think you lost something, you’ll find it again . The second one completely ruined that dynamic. They made the characters drift apart and destroy that hope and kill the relationship they shared making the first game meaningless.
And for what?
Abby?

Different readings of pieces of art, whether it be literature, film or a video game, are to be expected. Or else there wouldn't be so much debate, so many books written, or arguments made in academia over such subjects.

I obviously read TLOU and TLOU2 differently to you. What we see in things is characterised by our own experiences, whether they be personal, or more generally consumed as in literature, films, academic theory or history.

I can't say that you're wrong, because those are your experiences.

At the end of TLOU I see Ellie and Joel as just barely together, because the seeds of doubt are implicit in the words and acting. Their relationship hangs by a tenuous thread, by a lie and by the need to believe it.

Joel's loss was never going to be replaced, because he could never bring his daughter back. He could only attempt to fill part of that loss through his relationship with Ellie. She gives him hope, and he loves her as a daughter, though she'll never replace Sarah.

He used Ellie to recover meaning in his life, negating Ellie's wishes in the process. There's a selfishness to his love, but love isn't rational. It takes Ellie a long time to come to that realisation, and when she does it's too late.

TLOU2 could've gone the other way, and allow Ellie to accept the validity of the lie, and everything would be hunky-dory. Yet it wouldn't, because their relationship would still be based on a lie. We would know it, but Ellie would be blissfully ignorant.

That would've made for a weak storyline, and the kind of resolution that I don't think Druckmann was going for, as evidenced by the words and acting at the end of TLOU. There was an acceptance of the lie as truth, but it was tinged with doubt.

Hence their relationship, as strong as it became, wasn't built on solid ground. Holding it together would take a mammoth effort from Ellie, either to put aside her doubt or, conversely, recognise the lie as a lie but nevertheless forgive Joel for robbing her life of meaning.

She only reaches acceptance of the latter at the end of TLOU2, both when it's too late, and after she's destroyed everything in her life.

Adding to this discussion, the majority of fans of both games seem to think it is Neil Druckmann who is entirely responsible for the scripts and story direction of both games when that couldn't be further from the truth.

The first game managed to be a huge success thanks to Bruce Straley's direction and input, he shot down many of Neil's ideas for the story which funnily enough ended up finding their way into the second game, including the revenge plot Druckmann had always wanted to tell, Joel and Ellie were also very different in his original draft and the reason we even have an Ellie that cracks lame jokes, loves space and comic books and a Joel that's more sensitive, loves playing guitar and drinking coffee is because of their original actors, Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker, and as far as TLOU2 goes Druckmann had to bring in Hailey Gross (TV writer) to help him write it since he even admitted having trouble structuring the story, it seems to me that alot of the second game's faults were due to the fact Neil no longer had someone like Straley reigning his ideas in and offering constructive criticism, and was instead given full control over how things would play out.

If anyone has the patience I highly recommend giving this a post a read as it offers a lot of insight into the development of the first game and second game and the role Bruce and Neil had in shaping the first game which became an instant classic.

It's another reason why I don't personally care for the TV show, it wasn't just Neil Druckmann that made these characters what they are, it was many others, including Straley, the actors, the devs, etc, the game caught lightning in a bottle, I don't think the show can capture that lightning again no matter how many millions they throw at it.

Last edited:
Different readings of pieces of art, whether it be literature, film or a video game, are to be expected. Or else there wouldn't be so much debate, so many books written, or arguments made in academia over such subjects.

I obviously read TLOU and TLOU2 differently to you. What we see in things is characterised by our own experiences, whether they be personal, or more generally consumed as in literature, films, academic theory or history.

I can't say that you're wrong, because those are your experiences.

At the end of TLOU I see Ellie and Joel as just barely together, because the seeds of doubt are implicit in the words and acting. Their relationship hangs by a tenuous thread, by a lie and by the need to believe it.

Joel's loss was never going to be replaced, because he could never bring his daughter back. He could only attempt to fill part of that loss through his relationship with Ellie. She gives him hope, and he loves her as a daughter, though she'll never replace Sarah.

He used Ellie to recover meaning in his life, negating Ellie's wishes in the process. There's a selfishness to his love, but love isn't rational. It takes Ellie a long time to come to that realisation, and when she does it's too late.

TLOU2 could've gone the other way, and allow Ellie to accept the validity of the lie, and everything would be hunky-dory. Yet it wouldn't, because their relationship would still be based on a lie. We would know it, but Ellie would be blissfully ignorant.

That would've made for a weak storyline, and the kind of resolution that I don't think Druckmann was going for, as evidenced by the words and acting at the end of TLOU. There was an acceptance of the lie as truth, but it was tinged with doubt.

Hence their relationship, as strong as it became, wasn't built on solid ground. Holding it together would take a mammoth effort from Ellie, either to put aside her doubt or, conversely, recognise the lie as a lie but nevertheless forgive Joel for robbing her life of meaning.

She only reaches acceptance of the latter at the end of TLOU2, both when it's too late, and after she's destroyed everything in her life.
Yea see I don’t see it that way. You do and that’s fine. I just see a story ruined. You can’t justify it in my eyes. It’s bad writing . A story ruined and trying to be edgy and dark but defeats the first games purpose. There is no beauty in it. Everything you do is for nothing . Everything in the first game is thrown down the drain for an npc doctor. I don’t think it was an agenda I just think it was bad writing . Bad choices.

The Last of Us Updates

@TheLastofUsNews

Pedro Pascal (Joel) on the set today.

3:00 am · 13 Oct 2021

p.jpg

I've been tracking the show since last year.

I think they filmed the Winter section already and are just now doing the Pittsburgh and surrounding neighbourhood parts.

I am dying to know who ends up playing David. I would love it if they cast Krennic himself, he's a huge fan of the game.

I've been tracking the show since last year.

I think they filmed the Winter section already and are just now doing the Pittsburgh and surrounding neighbourhood parts.

I am dying to know who ends up playing David. I would love it if they cast Krennic himself, he's a huge fan of the game.
Yes they're filming things out of order as is the case with most things, I find it strange how we haven't seen any infected during the filming of this tho, I guess they could CGI them in since productions are still suffering from Covid but I hope not since the thing that interests me the most about this show is seeing the pratical effects they'll use and the world translated to live action, I really hope they do Bloaters as well and don't write them out for being unrealistic compared to other infected.

I think they'll probably pick an actor they're already familar with, a lot of the cast has or is working with HBO so Ben could get the role but only time will tell.

I’m still very curious how they’ll handle the elements of the controversial second game. Or will we get a new story entirely. Seems like they are sticking to the main plot of the first game . Seeing Sam and his brother makes me think this season may end how the original game ended.

I'm looking forward to this now.

I think I can separate it far enough from the games to accept it as an alternative vision of the world.

Back