Hasbro 6" Black Series Star Wars line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Elite Squad

bDJ4bok.jpg

..... So I open the package.

1 the way the flaps on the ends of the box are tabbed and taped shut makes it very difficult to open without damaging the box.

2 the figure was strapped and paper wrapped in place in a way most reminiscent of a cross between ancient Egypt and Frankenstein's lab. Which I guess, shes an archaologist so..... But theyre gonna do this to everyone, you know they are....

3 She has one pistol, packed in a seperate tiny paper envelope that would be super easy to miss. I was panicking.

Treasure the good old Hasbro BS boxes you have, cause you are about to miss them. IMO for the prices we pay for these figures, this is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE and Hasbro, YOU. SUCK.

Im still mad about it. This actually detracts value from these figures.

(Aphra is pretty cute, though.)

I hear you, Ramatuelle!

I just opened my first "plastic free" box. NED-B. The whole "wrapped in paper" -crammed (to the point of distorting the figure) into the cardboard tray with the icky "wax paper" envelope partitioned into separate "packs" for each accessory has a real "repackaged" vibe that does NOT feel "premium" AT ALL.

The hammer accessory was already warped. The figure itself was twisted and took some maneuvering to get it straightened out. At least it stands unassisted.
Plus, the figure's actual articulation does NOT allow it to achieve the pose featured on the beauty shot on the box.

NED-B -01.jpg

The photo used on the outside of the box must be a prototype of the figure. The "dirtied" deco does not look anything close to what is on the actual figure.
I could accept the "artistic license" taken with the star shot on the box front if Hasbro would at least have the grace to feature a shot of the ACTUAL production piece that is inside the box on the package back.

The most unfortunate side effect to this packaging is the obvious one. YOU CAN"T SEE WHAT YOU ARE GETTING until you buy the figure and open it. At least the window box not only offered a great presentation of the figure but you saw what you were getting "warts and all" and could make an informed choice.

At least the design of the box is the same and the angled side art matches up with the previous version for display,

I'm not a gambler. I don't like the thought of shelling out a higher cost for a presentation that is a step back. Sure, I get it (and respect it) that there are a big group of collectors that open these and enjoy them that way. But...now they are assuming the same risk continuing to buy this line as those who preferred to keep their figures boxed. To take away that important aspect of the product so some Hasbro team members can high-five each other and convince themselves they are "saving the earth" with this packaging is just sad. This line already suffers from poor availability, drawn-out preorders and hit-n-miss quality issues. Now, add higher cost and the "mystery box" aspect to that sad list.

I'm bummed out here...I have enjoyed a lot of what this line has offered over the years and witnessing the terrific engineering and different improvements with various characters has been a blast. But this....no.

I'm picking up the Ander wave of figures because I treasure that show so much and want as many characters as Hasbro will produce from it. Those along with some of the carded ROTJ 40th figures then I'm tapping out.

The plastic free packaging has been universally hated. With as bad as Hasbro is doing lately I can’t imagine this sticks. Retailers aren’t going to like the all the swindle swaps with returns. Collectors are now less likely to buy in store because of that risk. The price hikes came at the wrong point too making the be packaging seem responsible (it’s not, it’s just bad timing).

And let’s face it, Hasbro makes toys. They’re using a crapton of plastic. The amount in the packaging is minuscule compared to the actual product. Going plastic free packaging for food or something non-plastic would make sense but bragging the plastic isn’t wrapped in plastic isn’t much to be proud of in the grander scheme of things.

And let’s face it, Hasbro makes toys. They’re using a crapton of plastic. The amount in the packaging is minuscule compared to the actual product. Going plastic free packaging for food or something non-plastic would make sense but bragging the plastic isn’t wrapped in plastic isn’t much to be proud of in the grander scheme of things.

I am actually so mad that I *threw away* Aphra's art box. Out it went. Don't even wanna see it hanging around.

I will be looking to see if I can get my hands on the rest of TBB. I am missing Cross and Hunter. I will pick up any version of a reissue of those two I can get. After that I am fricking DONE. Hasbro has really and truly FUBARed with this one.

Got Dr Aphra today.

She is in that new packaging with no windows and is completely taped shut. To actually see the figure I have to broach the packaging.

Hasbro you suck so much. I hate you.

Parts lifting/parts swapping used to be a huge problem for Star Wars Legos. I mean the very first runs of it. So that was very very late 90s or early 2000s. I remember occasionally reading about it online in various early message boards. It could happen because you couldn't easily see anything, Lego came in non windowed boxes and the parts were in baggies. So what would happen, IIRC, the person would use a small knife, cut a little sliver, squirt out the good parts or minifigures, then use clear tape to patch the hole. This was way more of a big deal then because this was still when brick and mortar toy access was far different. People had not transitioned to buying most of their collection from online sources.

I would never buy an action figure off the peg where I could not see it. But that's just me.

I suppose the compromise would be to have each store carry a mini display with all the figures in the run displayed in a diorama or a type of touchscreen that let you see their product in photos. Then the product be white mailer boxes with bar codes on them but are fully shrink wrapped. But shelf space/peg space is at a premium. Something like that could only work at very large locations or a small handful of dedicated toy stores.

Put it this way. I'd rather just order online and get white mailer boxes and only buy from reputable dealers. I'd exchange box art and elaborate packaging for a product that cost less or the trade off in expense is used towards more accessories. But maybe that's just me.

The Walmart figure returns will sure be interesting now. I know they were with the see through packaging.

Now it’s gunna be like each Hasbro figure is a blind box 😂

I think the premise to reduce is a good one. Doing something is def better than doing nothing.
I’m not a MIMB collector so the biggest issue to me is the opening experience. It was nice to see Classified has the printed paper, so that really made me wish SW had it. I get it, margins are thinner and that tissue paper is just going in the bin anyway.
I do agree though that this measure is only half baked and there is trouble on the horizon. Security wise, Hasbro or the big boxes will need to address this as blind box really only works for online and even then there are cases where you need to be careful. Plus, this doesn’t address defects and Hasbro’s notoriously slow or non-existent CS when there are manufacturing issues.
Smart packaging engineers need to be brought into this conversation as I’m sure it’s the focus of someone’s masters thesis. Unfortunately it seems like Hasbro makes these decisions in the marketing department 🤷🏾‍♂️

Smart packaging engineers need to be brought into this conversation as I’m sure it’s the focus of someone’s masters thesis. Unfortunately it seems like Hasbro makes these decisions in the marketing department 🤷🏾‍♂️

JNL1.jpg

Here is GI Joe Sigma 6

Personally I loved these figures. I bought essentially an entire collection in one pure shot loose from a guy looking to unload his entire S6 bulk. My nephew loved them. These things are indestructible and really fun for kids.

OK the top and bottom of the package form a "clamshell" with a hinge and latch system. You take the foam accessory holding, slip that in the newly constructed clamshell, and you have a box/coffin for the accessories, so it helps kids store them and not lose them. In this picture, you can see the cut outs for the latches and hinges along the edge rails.

The plastic storage boxes got a lot of love in the mid 2000's because they were around the perfect size/shape/theme for the Hot Toys Powerloader.

Here's a sideview photo of the "box" constructed

z03.jpg

So my suggestion would be to have one "front" side like that clear plastic. But the "hard" back side be some kind of colored plastic like the above. Sell the figure ALREADY in his storage case. With the one front side clear enough for people to see the figure inside. ( Where as Sigma 6 was top and bottom, have Black Series be front and back oriented)

The case should serve three functions

1) As as storage/carry case for the figure and his accessories, but a really close to tight fit.

2) As a figure stand. Or with the ability to stand 2 or 3 figures together. ( This becomes a more complex question of the storage box depth, but work with me here a little on the theory)

3) As a diorama piece. I.E. with an interlocking system so you can stack them for transport OR build base walls with them. Let kids make a mini base out of 10 of them.

If there is an "interior" piece of cardboard where the twisty ties go to secure the figure, then use that piece of cardboard as the "file card". Make it so the file card can be slotted BEHIND the displayed figure, in a slot in the case somewhere. Valaverse does this with their figure stands, it has a slot to slide the file card behind the displayed figure. Sure the file card might have some little holes in them, so make them "bullet shot holes" or "laser fire burn through holes"

57.jpg

Here is the Valaverse stand. You can see the file card cut out length along the top.

I don't know if you can "reduce" the plastic as much as repurpose the function of the plastic you are already using, and try to infuse it as part of the value of the set.

Just some thoughts.

The simplest way, and the one that the second generation of these boxes will probably have, is a one-way entrance. Whether that be a tab that can only be locked once and must be torn, or a security tape that runs the length of the box, or even just shrinkwrap.

Perhaps a compromise is an even smaller box (there's still quite a bit of wasted space in these) that has a window made of biodegradable/compostable/plant based plastic.

I think this transition is a slow step towards phasing away from the mint in box collectors. I know that's a hard pill to swallow for many. But simply put, I imagine Hasbo has determined they're statistically a small enough part of the market that they can either be partially converted or lost from revenue.

I'm all for the aspect of reducing waste and using materials that can be more easily repurposed or ultimately recycled. I mean have you every really looked at how much single use waste you generate? When you amass the plastic bottles, packaging, plastic bags, and things of the like - it's simply unsustainable and there needs (or rather there needed) to be a harsh pivot point for humanity regarding things that can't break down. If you collect recycling (or whatever mockery our world has made that into now, sadly), it's remarkable how fast it piles up. And that's for ONE person. We'll never get rid of it all, obviously. We will all partake in things that have a lasting impact, but it should be easier to compensate for those things.

It's bit of a soapbox but I have to wonder if a line targeted at adult collectors is the place to do it. Hasbro makes A LOT of junk where they can kill the plastic packaging with no qualms. But I feel like the net loss of a window that's 4x6 made of a recyclable plastic isn't where we need to focus our sustainability. Everything else can be cardboard. The box, the board which holds the figure, the weird twine ties...all of those can make the transition.

In an ideal world, that's how this settles. A box which is 2/3rds the size of what we get now, all paper based, with a proportional window made of recycled plastic or whatever spin they want to take on it for sustainability.

Last edited:
I think this transition is a slow step towards phasing away from the mint in box collectors. I know that's a hard pill to swallow for many. But simply put, I imagine Hasbo has determined they're statistically a small enough part of the market that they can either be partially converted or lost from revenue.

Back in the day, in the old Warrior Forum when everyone was on the EZboard system, in the military 1/6th side of the hobby, there were some posts about lobbying the brands to just use plain white mailer boxes and remove all art work and most of the packaging, sans what was needed to keep the items safe in shipping.

Ron Volstad, who did artwork for Dragon Models, came in hot and heavy. He was unrelenting. Basically saying we were all lobbying to take food off his table.

I see his position. And I don't at the same time. I had nothing against Volstad, but he just plain held the line, didn't want to see the other position, and I recognize it must be incredibly difficult to make a full time living as an "artist" I also understand, and this might or might not be controversial here, that artists in our hobby, the well known ones, are generally going to be high maintenance personality types. Everyone? No, certainly not. But the "quirks" are clearly there if you watch long enough.

While the scale of Hasbro is certainly different, a heavy change in how figures are released in their packaging could end up costing some people their jobs. Hard to say, maybe or maybe not depending on the situation.

Given all that, I'd say still do it. You are right and I agree with you, all this wasteful packaging is not good for us in any sense. Cost wise, health wise, environment wise, etc, etc.

What do I think will happen? At some point, we will turn into a cashless society. It's inevitable. It's a system designed to make people easier to control and punish. Once we transition into a cashless society, I believe you'll see fewer brick and mortar stores available and as fewer and fewer big juggernaut corporations take over, they won't need to market their products. If only one company makes all the food in the country, why do you need box art? Or lots of advertising? It's not like there are going to be 9 different companies making oatmeal. There's just gonna be one kind of oatmeal for everyone in a plain marked box. Probably industrial bulk sized as well.

The traditional widespread brick and mortar dedicated "toy store", as some of us old enough to remember it, is now dead. Other types of businesses will follow suit.

So I think packaging will go in a direction more in line with your vision of it and hopes for it, but it will be a lagging indicator of some pretty huge new and lethal problems for us in tow.

But until we are being wiped out by Sky Net, I do think gradual changes are more likely to happen. Or are better suited for a transition. Going to never seeing a figure at all on the shelf immediately is just a rough jarring change for consumers. Some will say, and you might say, we don't have time for a gradual change. And in that, I actually would agree with you. But if the change is too abrupt, nothing will sell, and then people lose their jobs.

I want what you want. It's just there's layers of context inbetween. What's good for people and how they typically behave as consumers rarely lines up. Not to be grim , but I'm pretty sure we are at the end anyway. But for the sake of my nephew, I hope I'm wrong.

After being severely disappointed by the BS Finn in his trooper gear, I shied away from Black Series for years, pausing only to marvel at and get Vader. I've never seen any of the TV shows and have been annoyed at Disney for shutting them away on their subscription streaming channel and then not putting them out on DVD like others do. Yeah, you can find bootlegs, but, who am I funding when I buy them!?

I happened across Reva and Migs Mayfield in my local music store and really liked them. I thought the character and costume designs were really cool and the 3D printed paint apps looked really good, particularly on Reva. I then pulled the trigger on the Tibidon Ben (I didn't see him in hand) and wasn't quite as impressed. The paint apps were off on the beard and the poncho was a nightmare. While trying to get it looking like it did on the actual costume, the damn thing came unstitched! However, after much angst and swearing I was able to sit it on, put the rucksack over it and then get it sitting nicely when I wet it and left it alone for a day and a half. I then touched the beard back in and am happy enough with him (ish), he's by no means my favourite, but I still like him as he's different from all the other Jedi ones we get.

I'm now looking at figures with 3D printed faces that I know are good, like Moff Gideon, Fennec Shand, Officer Ferrix, Dark Times Officer and the Morak version of Migs. I've always liked Stellan Skarsgard so I may get the Luthen Rael as well. I know they're all from different shows, but, I just like the look of them. Even if I never get to see the shows, I can still appreciate the cool costume designs.

Last edited:
Had more BS fun this past couple of days,

Yesterday, I got Bix and Luthen in hand. On the whole I was very impressed with both figures. Not sure about the plastic free packaging though. The accessories come in little paper sachets and once you open them, that's it, bang goes your resale. The accessories are also way too loose and could be easily lost if you rip open the sachet too vigorously. Bix's pad and doohickey were a little hard to put in her hands and that loose cable got in the way. I tucked that into the handle on the pad and it still looked ok. Her braids also annoyed me, getting them to sit right took a lot of time! As for Luthen, well, he just got to stand there looking like a badass!

Today, I went looking for Ahsoka but came away with 2 unexpected purchases. First I got Old Man Han from the Archive line, the combo of the photo-real and the superb Ford sculpt was too good to miss. Next up was Paz Vizsla, and not just the regular, it was the Carbonised version. I thought the metallic armour looked so cool so I just couldn't pass him up. Had he been the regular, I might have passed as that armour looks a bit bland with the standard paint job.

Word has it that there's a new Beskar Mando on the way from The Book of Boba Fett, so I may pick him up when he's out.........

Last edited:
I hear you, but, I think it's here to stay.

Like our Lucasfilm heroes, they just want to save the planet! I have seen bags made of compostable material that could be made resealable like plastic ones can and that would be better for the accessories.

Back