Has anyone ever hade their motorcycle stolen?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisCJ99

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
So, I had a new 2009 Honda CBR 600 I bought last December. I've always kept it in a parking garage and I have never really parked my bike in a sketchy part of town.... Last night I went to visit a friend over in Van Nuys, and parked my bike right in front of the house. (not a red zone, no towing zone... I've always parked there). I was only there a couple hours, and when I came out my bike was gone... It literally happened FEET away from the door...

I filed a police report right away, and luckily I have theft insurance and GAP. So right now I'm going through all the BS of filing claims, but I'm most annoyed with the fact that I don't have a bike to ride around town in. Has anyone ever had to go through this process? And if so, did you ever retrieve the bike or how long did it take to have the insurance company pay it out?

Not a motorcycle, but About 5 years ago my dad went to his business and left his truck running outside in the back of the building for two minutes were it is suppost to be secure. When he came out it was gone and the back fence was smashed, they crashed the truck into the fence when they stole it. The police found his truck on an Indian reserve a week later.

Last edited:
Not a motorcycle but had my car stolen from in front of my house overnight. Oddly enought it was the night the autotrader came out and it had been listed last week and was first time it was in the magazine. Cops said chances of finding were slim. Well I proved them wrong when I personally found it parked in a huge parking lot 2-3 years later. Insurance should pay out fairly quick but once you get the money if its recovered it goes to the insurance company not you.

Not a motorcycle but had my car stolen from in front of my house overnight. Oddly enought it was the night the autotrader came out and it had been listed last week and was first time it was in the magazine. Cops said chances of finding were slim. Well I proved them wrong when I personally found it parked in a huge parking lot 2-3 years later. Insurance should pay out fairly quick but once you get the money if its recovered it goes to the insurance company not you.

so what happens if you buy a new car with the money from the insurance company and then your stolen car is recovered? I guess you would have to sell the recovered car?

so what happens if you buy a new car with the money from the insurance company and then your stolen car is recovered? I guess you would have to sell the recovered car?

No the insurance company would get the car. Once you they pay out on a stolen car they technically become the owner of the car and if its recovered they get it. They will sell it at auction as salvage title if it sell able if not it will hit scrap yard.

Nope. I've always had Harleys, and the trash that do this sort of thing, generally don't go for those types of bikes.

That really sucks, though. CBR's are fantastic bikes.

I've had a LOT of cars and toys throughout my life, so I wasn't too attached to this.... It's just a vehicle, a piece of metal. Easily replaceable. The one thing that is most frustrating right now is having to deal with police departments and insurance people... I've been transferred around SO much, and the insurance people are in NO hurry to get this taken care of... Takes quite a while.... :impatient:

Not a motorcycle, but About 5 years ago my dad went to his business and left his truck running outside in the back of the building for two minutes were it is suppost to be secure. When he came out it was gone and the back fence was smashed, they crashed the truck into the fence when they stole it. The police found his truck on an Indian reserve a week later.

:rotfl:rotfl

when i see people leave their car running, i do the nice thing. i lock the doors for them and slam them shut with their keys in the ignition. that way nobody can steal it. what a nice guy i am.

when i see people leave their car running, i do the nice thing. i lock the doors for them and slam them shut with their keys in the ignition. that way nobody can steal it. what a nice guy i am.

you should of been there to help my dad out then. He owned a tow truck company and could of opened his truck in 20 seconds flat after, no hard feelings. Still to this day we don't know were the guy had to of been to steal it. He was in the back of his biulding were there is no one. The guy must of been hitchhiking on the road and saw the truck and said "this will be a faster way back to the reserve".

The other tow truck company in town, my dads competition had one of their tow trucks stolen, which was also found on a reserve half burned.

im sorry to hear that. im brand new to owning my bike and i think about it being taken every time i cut of my engine and step away from it. Is there anything that can be done to prevent it or make it harder for the bike to be taken? a lock or something?

im pretty paranoid as is.

im sorry to hear that. im brand new to owning my bike and i think about it being taken every time i cut of my engine and step away from it. Is there anything that can be done to prevent it or make it harder for the bike to be taken? a lock or something?

im pretty paranoid as is.
They make small ulocks that are hard to cut and pick but if they load it on a truck its not going to be a big help, it only keeps them from riding away on it.

They make small ulocks that are hard to cut and pick but if they load it on a truck its not going to be a big help, it only keeps them from riding away on it.

nothing will stop theives. l saw a vid on the internet from New York. A guy had his bicycle locked to a tree, so the theives just cut the tree down.:lecture

nothing will stop theives. l saw a vid on the internet from New York. A guy had his bicycle locked to a tree, so the theives just cut the tree down.:lecture
I didnt saw it would stop them, the u lock goes on front wheel and wont let wheel pass through fork so its not dependent of a place to lock it to. It will slow them down if they plan to ride away on it and may have them go find an easier target.

I didnt saw it would stop them, the u lock goes on front wheel and wont let wheel pass through fork so its not dependent of a place to lock it to. It will slow them down if they plan to ride away on it and may have them go find an easier target.

Like l said, nothing stops theifs. when l was in grade 4 our school got hit one afternoon. My bike and like six other kids bikes were stolen. they cut threw the U locks.

Has anyone ever had their motorcycle stolen?

No, but I've stolen one before. Just recently too. I think it was a 2009 Honda CBR 600. I spotted it in Van Nuys just parked right in front of someones house.

Back