Harry Potter Max Original Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can’t think of anyone who can fill Ralph Fiennes shoes… I usually trust HBO, but this is risky to say the least. From the result of it we shall learn though. If it’s good, then we might have reboots of SW, Jurassik Park… who knows, maybe even Avatar will be rebooted as a TV series before being finished on the big screen.

Rebooting Potter? Why? That's as dumb an idea as Disney's (thankfully aborted) plan to reboot Pirates of the Caribbean. Hey, that reminds me - when are they planning to reboot The Mandalorian?

Rebooting Potter? Why?

Cost certainty.

There's an established fanbase. It's proven winner no matter the quality of the product. It's a proven merchandising monster all on it's own. Lots of the existing fanbase are entering or already in their prime earning years zone. Also it has real legs on the international market. Crossover appeal to both kids and adults from a money making standpoint. ( Which is not easy to do) The original core cast are at a point where their personal projects aren't exactly rocking the entire world and you can potentially bring them back, for occasional stunt casting in "flash forwards"

From a cash grab perspective, it's extremely safe. I get why they are doing it. And, if I am being fair, there is some pretty great world building that was not explored in the film. JK Rowling, for whatever some think of her now, was amazing at building an entire universe that seemed quite engaging and realistic at the same time. A lot of what she wrote ( at least Books 1-4) was very fundamental and grounded. Her ability to do exposition is beyond compare. She is literally a master class in how to seamlessly transition from exposition to fan service. I've never seen another writer quite like her before. She has a beautiful way of helping the reader visualize her world building. It's unfortunate that her controversies have robbed her of the kind of technical credit she deserves. Yes, she's gotten a lot of love from her fan service elements. But her early stuff is locked in fundamentally sound great writing.

Now she has to look over her shoulder the rest of her life. No one cares what you did before, they care how much they can squeeze out of you right now.

But her greatest gift to the world was not Harry Potter, but that she inspired kids to love to read. Anything and everything. And likely inspired countless others to find passion in writing themselves. She did more for kids in a good way than a hundred thousand schools combined.

Or Matrix reboot. And I mean a real reboot not whatever the last movie was.
I will never be convinced that Matrix 4 was anything other than a giant excercise in a director and cast trolling a studio and sticking up a huge middle finger to WB and the entire concept of reboots/rehashes/unnecessary, creatively bankrupt sequels etc.

There's no way anyone involved believed they were adding to the story, the universe or their character, and the fact WB released it without realising they were the butt of the joke is the only reason I can even acknowledge it exists at all.
Making this show would be the best life insurance policy that JK Rowling could have for the next decade. She's been getting non stop serious death threats for a long time now. The studio will look at the potential merchandising money angle and then just hire a private army to surround her at all times. Nothing would fracture the entire Potter universe and fanbase than Rowling getting gunned down in some parking lot somewhere. It will look like a cut scene from a Call Of Duty video game, Rowling in some grocery store surrounded by 15 PMCs.
Fortunately, the types of people sending her constant death threats typically only ever 'off' themselves or are all talk and no trousers and break down in tears when screaming and dying their hair doesn't result in the world conforming to their warped view on reality. She's as safe as she's ever been.

This show really doesn't need to be made. I doubt anyone is celebrating it's announcement particularly enthusiastically and yet millions will still watch just because we know the world of Harry Potter. Hell, I'll tune in.
I believe you can quite easily recast the main trio as none of those performances are especially charismatic or memorable- even if those actors will be synonymous with the roles for the rest of their lives- and yes, if Hermione isn't race swapped to add an additional layer of derogatory inflammation to her mudblood label, I will eat mud myself. However, much of the supporting cast was exquisite beyond belief; timeless, beloved, enduring embodiments of the literary characters brought to life. Good luck living up to all of that.

If this show is a hit, watch Disney remake the original SW trilogy one day.
That's probably a given.

I never took to Potter & co. so don't care. But IMO it's way too soon.
As usual could whine about all the great books out there that could be optioned and do something original instead of rehash. :pfft:

So they’re using the same music? Same logo? Same castle design? Reeks of lazy uninspired cash grab.

Yea that’s WB for ya. Imagine if they announced the Spider-Man reboot with raimi music and the same logo. Idiots

They’re going to have a real hard time getting actors the caliber of the films - especially for a 7 season commitment for some of the main professors. So many characters were perfectly cast. A few could have been better like Dumbledore v2 and Slughorn because of the departures from the books. This feels like a fools errand. Books really should be done as series to better cover larger stories but it would be like trying to remake LotR as a series… oh wait.

They’re going to have a real hard time getting actors the caliber of the films - especially for a 7 season commitment

They haven’t said how many seasons. But they have said how many years. 10.

Yeah they are going to be hard pressed to get commitments. Plus what if life happens and people pass away mid series? Or some scandal happens, or whatever life might thrown at them.

Yeah they can recast but that rarely goes well.

They haven’t said how many seasons. But they have said how many years. 10.

Yeah they are going to be hard pressed to get commitments. Plus what if life happens and people pass away mid series? Or some scandal happens, or whatever life might thrown at them.

Yeah they can recast but that rarely goes well.
Whatever do you mean?
gal.jpg

If this show is a hit, watch Disney remake the original SW trilogy one day.

As movies? I don't know how well that would do.

But as a prestige TV series that's done well? I'd be interested in that.

More on Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru with Luke. More on Luke's friendship with Biggs. More on Cloud City and what it took for Lando to keep it together. Bounty hunter tales with Bossk, Dengar, etc, etc. Looking with depth at the Cantina. What happened after the Empire attacked Hoth and the people left behind. Admiral Ackbar's time as a slave to the Empire and his planet's liberation. Etc, etc.

IMHO, there's tons of interesting stuff to revisit but it has to pull further away from the core characters. But the fear would be that Disney would find a way to turn it into another product, another flavor of some energy drink.

The Big Mouse would ruin it left to their own devices. I'm not sure I could handle Wicket, the new gay dyslexic activist Ewok drinking box wine and blogging about how the Empire is leaving too much single use Star Destroyer waste plastic in the sands of Tatooine. Then the script starts gaslighting the audience by carpet bombing them with Dad Jokes.

Done well, any reboot could have the potential to be incredible.

Back