Guide to make your First Order Troopers more flexible and remove that stiff undersuit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWEJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Here is my guide on how to remove the body suit on a First Order Stormtrooper. Removing the body suit gives the trooper greater flexibility and more dynamic poses. The armor is generally tight to the body. The belt is a bit loose and may sit lower than you would like it to, but I don't mind. Overall, fairly simple and may be self explanatory, but a friend needed instructions so I thought I would post this here in case anyone was curious or wanted to know how. Do this at your own risk though. I am not responsible if something breaks or if you are unhappy with the way the armor sits. Personally, I think the end results look good.

1. Remove all armor. Personally I decided to lay it out like this....

8cjdfJ4.jpg

Just so I know what goes where when I reassemble the trooper.

I removed the head first, then the hands, lower arm armor, then upper arm armor. The upper arm armor will be a but tough to remove. It seems to get stuck at the elbow joints, but a firm pull will remove them.

Next was the feet, lower leg armor, the knee armor (these are attached using velcro, easy to remove and easy to put back on), then the upper leg armor.

Then came the crotch armor. These two pieces are attached using velcro. One in the back and one in the front. The front piece comes off easy, the back piece may be a bit tougher to remove.

Now slide the belt down, push the hips together and it will easily come off. No need to cut this.

Next is the chest armor with the pauldron. This piece will be glued on each side. Slowly pull one side apart and the black strip holding this together should come unglued and you can carefully remove the armor.

Next is the abdomen armor. This is where it could go wrong and you might create a lot of extra work. This is the hardest one to remove. Take a knife, insert it into the seal on the side. Begin to cut down until the black strip is cut threw and you can remove the armor. DO NOT CUT BOTH SIDES. DO NOT CUT BOTH SIDES. If you do, there will just be a lot of unneeded extra work for you. Now, you will NOT want to pry the armor off after making the cut. The other black side strip will be weakened and it will tear, causing the armor to split into two pieces. Slowly open it up, slip the figure out through the cut side and you are done. Here is a picture of the black strip cut. NOTE: You do not have to cut this if you can pull it apart. The glue may be weak enough on yours where it will simply will pull apart. Unfortunately on mine, I could not get it. So, choose which method you want to do, both will end with the same result.

e8xR32Il.jpg

Now that the armor is removed, unzip the armor suit. Getting the suit off the arms is a bit tough. You will want to pull the suit down and over the shoulder blades exposing the upper arms of the figure. Then pull the suit from each arm. Remove the left arm, then the right arm. Now that the arms are free, pull the rest of the way off. The material shouldn't rip, just be careful though. This should be removed and you will now see the fat suit. Remove this. Put the armor suit back on the figure (remember the zipper goes in the back). Make sure the armor suit is properly put on before reapplying the armor.

Reapplying the armor. Put the crotch pieces back on. Now the abdomen armor. Remember, the cylinder thing at the back off this armor should be pointing down and be sitting at the waste of the figure. If the cylinder is sitting mid back, this is wrong. You will not want to make this mistake as it will just cause more stress to the black strip that is holding this armor piece together. Apply the belt. You can slip it over the hips. Next is the chest armor. Here is how it should look thus far.

38uZfKhl.jpg

Reapply the upper arm armor, lower arm armor and hands. Reapply the upper leg armor, then the knee armor, lower leg armor, then the feet. Put the head back on and you are done. Took me about 30 minutes to do. I was being pretty cautious though and taking pics, probably could be done a bit quicker.

869y9N1l.jpg

uXeCrQ2l.jpg

Nice wok. Not sure if i'm ready yet for such a transformation but ngood to know it's possible with minimum damage to the figure. If you have time, please post some dynamic poses.

Nice tutorial, WWE.

Why in the hell did it come with a fat suit?
My guess is the intent is to have something to push against the armour pieces to keep them in place. Or maybe it's to emulate look in movie? Just saw it last night and thought the FO troops looked kinda bulky.

I'm thinking that if I was to do this I'd cut the arms and legs off of the fat suit so you'd get more pose ability in the arms and legs without the droopy belt

Nice tutorial, WWE.

My guess is the intent is to have something to push against the armour pieces to keep them in place. Or maybe it's to emulate look in movie? Just saw it last night and thought the FO troops looked kinda bulky.

yeah they should have just padded the leg and arm parts like they did with the ot stormtroopers and not use a fat suit that hinders poseablility.

great improvement, not an ideal pose but with the big ass cannon its impossible to get a better pose. thanks again for the tutorial WWEJedi.

So there is an undersuit under the rubber suit?

What pose could you not attain that you now can?

yeah there's a fat suit underneath the rubber suit, what bugged me the most was that you could not bend the elbows too much. turns out hot toys put a padded sleeve just around the elbow area that prevents it bending, i could have lived with the fat suit on the body but the elbow pads put alot of strain on the rubber suit. as for posing with the cannon......you cant, its too bulky and there's only so much you can do as to posing and not make it look wierd but i am happy with the pose in my picture which was impossible to achieve cuz of the padding.

Cool tutorial.
About the abdomen armor part, how do yu close the cut part when yur done?
Thanks

Nice wok. Not sure if i'm ready yet for such a transformation but ngood to know it's possible with minimum damage to the figure. If you have time, please post some dynamic poses.

Nice tutorial, WWE.

Beautiful thank you great stuff!!!!!!

great improvement, not an ideal pose but with the big ass cannon its impossible to get a better pose. thanks again for the tutorial WWEJedi.

Thanks guys. :duff

So there is an undersuit under the rubber suit?

What pose could you not attain that you now can?

Yes. Now the figures can do all the poses in the promotional pictures and more. With the under suit the legs would hardly move, same with the arms. Allows for more unique and dynamic poses.

Cool tutorial.
About the abdomen armor part, how do yu close the cut part when yur done?
Thanks

I never closed it. It is not noticeable or loose. The chest armor helps keep it tight to the body.

couldnt you also take an exacto knife or scissors and just cut the joints out of the fat suit? so the suit stays but the joints are freed up?

couldnt you also take an exacto knife or scissors and just cut the joints out of the fat suit? so the suit stays but the joints are freed up?

For the arms and knees you could. The hips would be just as stiff though. Not sure how you would cut around that to free it up.

For the arms and knees you could. The hips would be just as stiff though. Not sure how you would cut around that to free it up.

If the hips are ball jointed you would just slice the joint free completely so the leg pieces are separate from the underwear? I guess.

If the hips are ball jointed you would just slice the joint free completely so the leg pieces are separate from the underwear? I guess.

Oh, I see what you mean. You think the fat suit is like sewed into the joints? If so, it is just a suit that sits over the body. Nothing is intertwined. I mean, you could cut holes into the suit at the arms, elbows, and maybe the hips to free it and still keep the fat suit underneath if you wanted to. That is what I thought you meant in the first post. Nothing is really gained though by doing that except maybe some extra bulk to the figure.

So WWEJedi, if the chest and abdomen armor are both attached using the black bands, was there a reason you chose to cut one versus pulling the other?
Thanks for posting this.

So WWEJedi, if the chest and abdomen armor are both attached using the black bands, was there a reason you chose to cut one versus pulling the other?
Thanks for posting this.

I couldn't get the abdominal armor to pull apart. Mine literally would not budge. You can pull off the abdominal armor if the glue is weak enough on yours though, no need to cut it.

Back