Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Empire kind of hints at some sort of army. That would be awesome if we could get a Hollow Earth army of titans clashing against the surface titans.

I will be seated for this on day one. these are an absolute roller coaster and ive enjoyed all four monsterverse movies. The first Godzilla by Gareth Edwards actually tried to be a movie and I appreciated it for that, but the crazed, action-focused adrenaline rushes of KOTM and Godzilla vs Kong were intensely enjoyable for me. Events made for the big screen. I think you can tell great stories with these Kaiju creatures (Shin Godzilla comes to mind), but I'm okay with the monster bashes these Hollywood ones have become.

I’ve enjoyed all of these and only find KOTM to have not been as good with repeat viewings

I can’t believe we are getting a 4th American made Godzilla film. I’m a happy man.
Very crazy tbh. Godzilla can’t die in movies or in real life. I didn’t like kotm either. Hated the dark weather they did. Tbh I found 2014 just ok. And I loved Godzilla vs Kong. Great movies. They are serviceable

Very crazy tbh. Godzilla can’t die in movies or in real life. I didn’t like kotm either. Hated the dark weather they did. Tbh I found 2014 just ok. And I loved Godzilla vs Kong. Great movies. They are serviceable
I hope down the road, a brightened up version of KOTM is released. They did that with 2014, so there’s a chance!

2014 has… moments but is a bit boring. Some great FX though and the one film that really sold the size of these beasts

Skull Island is always fun and probably my 2nd fav of the series

I agree about the dark weather in KOTM and the fact they kept moving away from the monsters to the annoying characters. The characters ruined that one for me the most.

GvK was a blast. I was a kid again. One of my favorite thoughtless films to watch.

Eventually this universe's monsters will probably have an Alien vs. Predator style crossover movie against the Pacific Rim kaiju. I'm sure someone in Lalaland has already proposed it to a studio head...
Actually this has been discussed numerous times. the studios were headed this way until the Pacific Rim sequel tanked....
I hope down the road, a brightened up version of KOTM is released. They did that with 2014, so there’s a chance!
I have seen eacg release day one, as they are just rip roaring fun in Imax, plus my local theater sucks at calibrating their screens. I could not see anything the first 5 minutes of Black Panther. (Imax is calibrated by outside contractors so that always looks good)

I have a Atmos calibrated setup now and my Samsung has perfect black levels.

Because of that, all the monsterverse films look WAY better. Especially 2014.

G 2014 : ( 7/10) I actually didnt mind the human story in this. Bryan Cranston nailed the role, and I felt his death really moved the story. It was unfortunate that Qucksilver just couldnt really carry the film himself...Overall the film looks great calibrated for black levels.
The feeling of scale was really well done and it felt like the original in that sense.

G KOTM: 6/10: Talk about a film ruined by terrible casting, and plot. The human story was laughable, and the trendy casting of MBB was alot of the issue. Once again, B rate actora working with C rate scripts. The Monster scenes were awesome if they just focused on them....instead of trying to capture the first films idea of deriving scale from the humans...These films really so not need a complicted human plot....yet they keep trying and failing miserably at it.

GvK: 8/10 And WHY and 8/10? Because the moved to focusing on big gorilla fighting big lizard more. The plot and characters were even dumber than KOTM, and MBB was just laughable, as were her sidekicks....They had an interesting ploy with the "company" working with Kaiju materials to make weapons, but missed a huge opportunity to bring back a MechaGhidorah ...which is what should have been , instead of Mecha Godzilla.

Too much super tech also, which would have been fine if they introduced a REASON for it....instead we got a huge leap in tech from film one, with little or no explanation why this happened.

...meanwhile, blissfully unaware, vibrant and bustling downtown Tokyo awaits its ominous fate...

vibrant downtown Tokyo gif.gif

KotM still ranks highly for me since it has Rodan/Mothra/King Ghidorah
King Kong just isn't that interesting to me, and the other ones that were made up just aren't that great as the classic monsters either.
I can't really say one of the films is the best over the others, they shift in what they do best, the first one is on the more "realistic" side with not as much monster action but it has the best human story, whereas you go to GvK and it's got the worst human story but the most action. I like parts of all of them so I'll take whatever they can make.
I do have concerns about how much it appeals to general audiences, which is necessary for the series to continue. GvK probably appeals the most but I wonder if it wouldn't have done as well if it weren't for the pandemic and how the release changed. KotM was on that cusp where it didn't really make any money but GvK was already in production otherwise I think it might not have been greenlit.
So with this next one it'll be interesting if it can do well enough in a more typical release for the series to keep going. At least we also have a new Japanese film coming as well.

I just love the Godzilla vs Kong clash/ discourse. It’s also a movie that tried to get off the ground so many times after the 60s but kept getting delayed .

I actually used to be obsessed with the monsterverse when I suddenly lost interest for over a year and now this has got me back in the spirit and has me really hyped.

Last edited:
I actually used to be obsessed with the monsterverse when I suddenly lost interest

Applies to all movie franchises at one time or another.

I actually used to be obsessed with Star Wars when I suddenly lost interest

I actually used to be obsessed with Indiana Jones when I suddenly lost interest

I actually used to be obsessed with the Pirates of the Caribbean when I suddenly lost interest

Current:

I actually used to be obsessed with the MCU when I suddenly lost interest

I was a little kid watching monsters fight on the big screen, so I doubt I was even cognizant of any music playing. I certainly don't remember it some 50+ years later lol. I suppose I could watch some videos on YouTube but that would require actual effort...

You saw those in the theater? Wow... I had to watch them on a black-and-white TV, unless I went over to my grandparents house.
Well not that one, but I saw 2 or 3 in theaters. Destroy All Monsters and All Monsters Attack were two of them. Actually, those were probably the only two. The rest I'd have also seen on black-and-white TV - late night reruns on WGN in Chicago. Or was it one of the two UHF stations? So long ago lol...

Back