GI JOE (classic) head into a modern body, serious HELP!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Np, answer when you have time. :) Here is another one I found: comparing your original HT body with this one... I guess you can see how the tones are different. Plus yours is oppac.

Okay, so I'm back!:)

Sorry, but in your last post, I don't see any pic! Perhaps you forgot to attach it?

Anyhow, here's a picture of how the articulation system of modern figs works at the neck. A ball on the fig and a cup on the neck post, so it allows a great range of movement.
image.jpg

As for the colors, as I said, they differ a lot from batch to batch. The one you see here is the average color. It may be a little darker but not much. As a matter of fact, what you see is in fact the combination of two figures. The neck part comes from another figure and you can see a slight color difference. The neck you see comes from one of those HK knock offs whose photos you showed me, so you see that you can't really trust the advertised color!

Now, there are some more orange figs. The BBIs are truly orange, but really ORANGE! So we're the earliest TTs. Now they are all rather similar and made to accommodate HT type heads, so kinda tan/grayish.
Now I don't have a coo model so I can't tell you although I suspect they are similar, or they wouldn't fit modern heads and nobody would buy them.
But don't put too much importance in the color. A modern soldier will likely have gloves and a scarf around the neck will do the trick!:)

So sorry, man, I really missed the link. Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2-4JW3YicA

Yeah, the color itself is a minor issue since the cloths will cover all his body. I really appreciate all the help and I am growing confident about trying this kitbash.
You meantioned many times sand the neck... I believe there is no need to sand it too much, right? Just enough to put the head without enlarging the base?
Regarding the process, what shall I use? Is there any tool I can use and just polish it without much adjustment? lol

The body shown in the review is indeed a knock off body similar to the one in the link I provided, but it was one of the first batches. At the beginning, they were shiny, but the subsequent releases have a matte finish. There are probably some of these left for sale, but they are already two or three years old, so less common. Those sold now are already the third generation I believe.

I do have a BBI... Somewhere! I tried to find it in my stash but couldn't. Anyway, the picture you posted in your first post of a figure with a black washer is a BBI! And the color you see is pretty much the actual color.

Now, to file the neck, the best way, ideally, would be with a power tool like a dremmel. A file or sandpaper will do but it takes longer. As you noted, you don't have to file much.

The way to do it is simple. Heat the head, pop it on, then, with a marker/pen, Mark the circumference on the neck. Pop off the head and file above that mark. You can even correct the inclination of the head that way, with a little experience!:)

Oh I see.

I asked about the BBI figure because its shape seems to be more of a cone so I wouldnt need to file the neck post.
I deatached the head of my figure yesterday I understood what the guy did, the washer actually connects on the upper part of the head. I believe it would stay firm, but again I am not sure.
My idea before talking with you was buy one of these BBI necks, place this little piece and connect it on these new bodies.
About marking the neck with a marker, wounldnt that mark the head as well?? Can I remove this tint with acetone?

Thanks as always. :)

Ok, cool, man. Thanks a lot. I was thinking, I can sand the neck and place this peg from BBI with a washer not?
So I wouldnt need to glue the head. The problem is to find this little peg. lol

Thanks, man, I sure will. What can happen now is either I give up and use the same body from 40th I have OR go ahead and try the bash. haha
I just found we have a dremmel here. hehe

Another quick idea/option.
Based on your first idea, look what I though.

Make a hole in the basic AM neck and place that rubber connector from the long neck inside and glue it.
I have no idea if its height matchs with this area from AM's, but I THINK it would work as the "short" neck improved. And I could move t$_57.JPGhe head with no problem.

Okay, so I saw the picture. The little round piece is indeed a washer but I don't think it will be useful to you. It's a piece that is usually glued to the modern, necked sculpts and allows to attach them to the smaller neck pegs. Trouble is, it is probably too large for a Joe neck.

Besides, and at the same time it will reply to your last post, it will make the neck too short. The very first idea I gave you which is roughly similar to the last one in your post, was a bad idea. Technically, no problem, it'll work! But if you look at the picture I posted before, where it shows the inside of the neck, you'll see that those necks are very deeply recessed, so short pegs, and original Joe neck posts too, will make a short neck, thus awkward looking guy!:)

Okay, so I saw the picture. The little round piece is indeed a washer but I don't think it will be useful to you. It's a piece that is usually glued to the modern, necked sculpts and allows to attach them to the smaller neck pegs. Trouble is, it is probably too large for a Joe neck.

Besides, and at the same time it will reply to your last post, it will make the neck too short. The very first idea I gave you which is roughly similar to the last one in your post, was a bad idea. Technically, no problem, it'll work! But if you look at the picture I posted before, where it shows the inside of the neck, you'll see that those necks are very deeply recessed, so short pegs, and original Joe neck posts too, will make a short neck, thus awkward looking guy!:)

Oh I see, so we are still on the sand-the-neck. :)
Thanks tho!

Sorry mate, I was way for a few days!

So I saw your links. I don't have these bodies so can't really tell you but I don't think it would look too good on the first one.

When Joe was created, they didn't go for a realistic body approach, just for the best possible articulation. I feel that going for the second type of body would pay a better homage to that yet give him a modern, hyper articulated body, but I guess that's just personal preference and both would suit the purpose.:)

Back