Ghostbusters Afterlife (November 11th -2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overall the movie fit into the same world for me. It was the right balance of humor and throwbacks but still being able to be its own thing. I liked how the kids weren't all knowing and invincible. The characters had depth and the ending was really touching and respectful. I really hope they do a sequel and the Winston is a big part of it. The original 4 Ghostbuster's all had their place in the group and were all needed to make it work. Very well done movie and to me better than any recent sequel to an older series.

If I was to nitpick it would be that I felt it took too long to really get going.

Even to a casual viewer I think it was fairly obvious that Egon (or any Ghostbuster really) was Phoebe's Grandfather.
Yeah it was kinda odd they didn't speak his name until near the end, since it didn't feel like the movie was trying to make it much of a mystery who the "dirt farmer" really was.

Overall the movie fit into the same world for me. It was the right balance of humor and throwbacks but still being able to be its own thing. I liked how the kids weren't all knowing and invincible. The characters had depth and the ending was really touching and respectful. I really hope they do a sequel and the Winston is a big part of it. The original 4 Ghostbuster's all had their place in the group and were all needed to make it work. Very well done movie and to me better than any recent sequel to an older series.
I know that that's a dig at the ST but you thought that this movie was better than BR 2049? I would put Jurassic World, Fury Road and Creed II above this too.

And speaking of the ST I don't see how anyone can complain about that trilogy now if you liked GB:A since it almost literally told the exact same story while checking the exact same boxes. The final showdown was pretty much a direct ripoff of
Spoiler Spoiler:

Plus
Spoiler Spoiler:

I did enjoy it though, it was a fun throwback film but nothing spectacular.

I was surprised that the entire audience tonight was teenage girls and families with little kids. They all seemed to be into it though so apparently it's hitting the right notes for the next generation.

I was the only person in the entire auditorium that burst out laughing when
Spoiler Spoiler:
and that scene alone might have damn well made the whole movie for me, lol.

I do think that it was a poor choice to basically

Spoiler Spoiler:
That's pretty much the opposite of what you're supposed to do with a sequel.

Two things that it definitely did better than Star Wars:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Yeah there's no question it's missing that witty humor, epic scale and New York energy of the original, but honestly they never could have replicated that anyway (and even GB2 struggled with it), so I think they made the right call to go for a different tone and setting with this one.

I do agree though that they should have come up with a more original villain, or at least have them take different forms than the exact same ones we saw before.

I know that that's a dig at the ST but you thought that this movie was better than BR 2049? I would put Jurassic World, Fury Road and Creed II above this too.

And speaking of the ST I don't see how anyone can complain about that trilogy now if you liked GB:A since it almost literally told the exact same story while checking the exact same boxes. The final showdown was pretty much a direct ripoff of
Spoiler Spoiler:

Plus
Spoiler Spoiler:

Buddy your not going to get people to like the st. Let it go

Interesting to see you guys seem to mostly enjoy it, I was watching the RLM video (about 20 minutes, it's an hour long and I'm not enough of a GB fan to sit through an hour long video criticising this) and those guys were pretty harsh about it...
I've no special attachment to the property, so it doesn't really affect me.

From the sounds of their review I'm guessing their response to that accusation would be that this film hardly represents ''change''.

Spoiler Spoiler:
Egon being Phoebe's Grandfather is nothing like the turd that is TROS...

somehow-palpatine-returned-somehow.gif

Egon being Phoebe's Grandfather is nothing like the turd that is TROS...

somehow-palpatine-returned-somehow.gif
Khev or Jye, did that line of dialogue pre-date my alternate opening crawl I once wrote that I remember getting a surprising amount of lols way back? I'm wondering if I was inspired by that or if, more hilariously, my spoof became reality

Spoiler Spoiler:

Plus
Spoiler Spoiler:

Not a dig at only the Star Wars sequel trilogy but also the last Indy movie, the last Predator movie and a few others i have already forgotten. I really like The BladeRunner 2049 movie and thought it was a worthy sequel and Fury Road was awesome. Jurassic World had elements I liked but overall could do without it.

Yeah there's no question it's missing that witty humor, epic scale and New York energy of the original, but honestly they never could have replicated that anyway (and even GB2 struggled with it), so I think they made the right call to go for a different tone and setting with this one.
I liked the tone and setting in this one too, I just wish that they found a way to increase the scale at the end. I mean Close Encounters ended with some people standing by a mountain out in the middle of nowhere too but damn was it epic. The feels were strong with Afterlife though, no denying that, so much so that I'm still thinking favorably of them the next day. But will that little bit at the end coupled with the slow build make for a film that is worth revisiting again and again? I guess we'll see but I suspect likely not.

I feel like the actual showdown with the main villains in Afterlife suffered some of "ST syndrome" where it was kind of an afterthought (ha ha maybe that should have been the title, lol) to the more personal interactions like the X-Wing battles at the end of TFA and TROS and the attack on Crait. Rogue One reminded audiences how awesome a finale can be if equal attention is given to both the characters AND the main battle.
Khev or Jye, did that line of dialogue pre-date my alternate opening crawl I once wrote that I remember getting a surprising amount of lols way back? I'm wondering if I was inspired by that or if, more hilariously, my spoof became reality
Oh that was all you my friend, a freaking awesome joke scroll that hilariously found a version of itself in the finished film. :lol
Not a dig at only the Star Wars sequel trilogy but also the last Indy movie, the last Predator movie and a few others i have already forgotten. I really like The BladeRunner 2049 movie and thought it was a worthy sequel and Fury Road was awesome. Jurassic World had elements I liked but overall could do without it.
Oh wow The Predator, I'd totally forgotten about that one. What an absolutely terrible movie. :lol

Yeah not sure how much I'll want to rewatch this later on, but the positive vibes from that first viewing along with the sight of those original busters in their gear again, is enough to at least make me buy tickets to see it again this weekend.

Back