Gandalf the Grey PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always wanted the 1/3 Legendary Scale bust and found it locally for cheap. :hi5:

Sorry for the crappy picture...
Img_1385a.jpg

very nicely done! I don't think I'd want to do that to mine. I think SS did a great job on the sculpting of the hair and I wouldn't want to remove that. The LOTR PFs are some of my favorite if not my favorite PFs that SS has ever made and it just tough to want to modify them even if it would make them look better, more real, etc.

Brilliant :clap
Thank you!
very nicely done! I don't think I'd want to do that to mine. I think SS did a great job on the sculpting of the hair and I wouldn't want to remove that. The LOTR PFs are some of my favorite if not my favorite PFs that SS has ever made and it just tough to want to modify them even if it would make them look better, more real, etc.
Thanks! I hear you though. Decided to do it with this one because I still have the hatless sculpt as well. If I ever decided to go for a different look with the sculpted again I can swap out. [emoji817]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old thread but recent posts so fair game. Recently acquired this piece, wow, this is one of SS best ever! Wasn’t advertised as an EX but scored the second portrait too! Just wish they hadn’t ended this like. Every time people say that SS can’t do human portraits I just think back to this line.

Old thread but recent posts so fair game. Recently acquired this piece, wow, this is one of SS best ever! Wasn’t advertised as an EX but scored the second portrait too! Just wish they hadn’t ended this like. Every time people say that SS can’t do human portraits I just think back to this line.

Congrats on the pickup, it is a great one. You are right about the line, probably best by SS, but there were a couple letdowns like GTW.

I did a thing today.

I knew I was going to have plenty of hair left over after I was done with my Asmus Gandalf so I decided to do all hair for my Sideshow Premium Format. Happy with how he turned out!

Love the hair mod. It looks like your staff is bent at the bottom in those pics.

Congrats on the pickup, it is a great one. You are right about the line, probably best by SS, but there were a couple letdowns like GTW.

LOL, if I’m not mistaken, YOU sold me your GTW several years ago!

I had him paired for a couple of years with Saruman and it was o...k...

I had gotten out of the line completely, then bought Frodo on a whim for like $100 and it’s been off to the races ever since. I can’t tell if Frodo has a bad sculpt or lousy paint but great MM. I watched a YouTube video of a repaint of Aragorn and the sculpt is spot on so maybe Frodo needs a repaint.

In any event, this is a big improvement on poor old GTW!

I had gotten out of the line completely, then bought Frodo on a whim for like $100 and it’s been off to the races ever since. I can’t tell if Frodo has a bad sculpt or lousy paint but great MM. I watched a YouTube video of a repaint of Aragorn and the sculpt is spot on so maybe Frodo needs a repaint.

Frodo just has bad paint and his hair sculpt is a little flat and not full/round enough, but a repaint will really bring out the likeness.

You may be right, that was the only one of the line I sold so far as I still have all the others. Frodo and Galadriel aren't great either, but would both come alive with some better paint. I had intended to get the Weta GTW bust and do a transplant, but I don't remember why I didn't.

Same. I would've at least liked a Gimil even if I couldn't get the entire fellowship. The LOTR PFs will forever be the last thing I ever sell if I absolutely have to.

Also, I don't think SS has the same sculptors they used to. The old guys knew how to capture likeness fairly well, it was just always paint apps letting them down for the most part. Plus, Trevor Grove sculpted a lot of pieces for them and most of us know how amazing he is at sculpting portraits. The guys they have now sculpting real actors just don't cut the mustard any more unfortunately. They're great at monsters and creatures, but they fall a little short on actor likenesses.

Same. I would've at least liked a Gimil even if I couldn't get the entire fellowship. The LOTR PFs will forever be the last thing I ever sell if I absolutely have to.

Also, I don't think SS has the same sculptors they used to. The old guys knew how to capture likeness fairly well, it was just always paint apps letting them down for the most part. Plus, Trevor Grove sculpted a lot of pieces for them and most of us know how amazing he is at sculpting portraits. The guys they have now sculpting real actors just don't cut the mustard any more unfortunately. They're great at monsters and creatures, but they fall a little short on actor likenesses.
I picked up the Gimli Maq. I know it’s supposed to be 1/5, but I swear it’s oversized. Also, he’s a dwarf so I think it looks fine, lol. I was fortunate to score a non advertised EX on that one too.

Yeah, I like a lot of ‘classic’ sideshow pieces. They can achieve some great things today, but nothing compares to the love and attention to detail that went into these.

Back