FYI: Ikea has modified the Detolf design

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone looking to update their Detolfs should be aware that Ikea has modified the design slightly. The top and bottom boards are about 1mm shorter, which means the case will sit lower than (at least for my available comparison) last year's models. I had to prop it up with a small sheet of the packaging underneath to get the tops as level as possible. In addition, the edges of the glass are no longer green tinted, they are black.

On the upside they came out of the box much more polished than before. Still good to give them a good cleaning though.

To quote my GF, going forward buy pairs of two so you at worst always have sets that match.

Black edged glass? How strange. Is it painted?
It very well could be an extremely dark green, though my camera it had a small glisten of emerald as I moved, but in person it might as well be black. I don't believe it's painted, it doesn't seem to scratch off as I'd expect. Here's a comparison
5089687d7d9c0148f8895690fab2995e.jpg

Interesting. I’ve never known any kind of clear glass to give off such a dark color on the edge like that naturally but who knows.

They also changed the rubber bumpers they used to cushion the glass on the frames.

This was a good change.

The old ones used to melt under certain conditions , many of mine disintegrated into a sticky mess.

The new ones are much more rigid and feel like they will last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They also changed the rubber bumpers they used to cushion the glass on the frames.

This was a good change.

The old ones used to melt under certain conditions , many of mine disintegrated into a sticky mess.

The new ones are much more rigid and feel like they will last.

Yeah that changed a few years back. It was very welcome. My three new ones last year had the old dimensions and glass, but the new bumpers.

For anyone who needs to change out the old bumpers, try aquarium tubing. Worked a dream for me in my old, tan set I used to have.

IKEA will send your the news ones free.
But aquarium tubing was my first replacement also.

Just an FYI for everyone:

I just picked up another Detolf today at my local Ikea (Canton, MI). I checked online before heading there to make sure they were in stock and the price was still $129.99 (peak pandemic pricing). However when I got there and checked out I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was only $79.99. :)

Back