Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than Affleck's Batman when have they done that?

Isn't that Keaton and Bale too?
Yea Keaton but bale was a young Batman but sadly in the last film they decided to adapt that ****** story and make him not in his prime and not as honed. Only Batman for two years. What a joke. Also a simp who hid from the world for 8yrs cause his crush died.

That movie pretty much almost ruins the Nolan verse for me. Thank goodness for tdk .

Go for it! Its the closest content to MoS, BvS and ZSJL. I'd recommend starting with the directors cut, not theatrical or ultimate edition.

I love the Ultimate Edition of Watchmen. It includes more scenes than the director's cut and it has the Tales of the Black Freighter animated comic. The comic is a commentary on Adrian Veidt's point of view in the story. I adore the comic run, so it's Ultimate Cut for me.

Great to see so much love for the Snyderverse.

Ashamed to admit how many I haven't seen.

I can't differentiate between levels of bad so just have a "meh" tier.

5ofeusc.png

Yea Keaton but bale was a young Batman but sadly in the last film they decided to adapt that ****** story and make him not in his prime and not as honed. Only Batman for two years. What a joke. Also a simp who hid from the world for 8yrs cause his crush died.

That movie pretty much almost ruins the Nolan verse for me. Thank goodness for tdk .
Yeah, two years is pretty pathetic, and he did simp big-time for a woman he didn't actually have a romantic relationship with. It puts a bit of a mockery on his original motivation to become Batman.

That said, I can overlook it and I do in fact love this movie... but BB is still #1 for me.

Well seems pretty unanimous that Zack's Justice League is way up there.

So considering this massive poll result I think they should continue on with his vision one way or another !!
I only had it as 'Good' - I did like it, but I didn't love it. MoS and BvS:UE are better for me.
I do wish they continued his vision though, especially with all the teases about the nightmare world of the future.

I love the Ultimate Edition of Watchmen. It includes more scenes than the director's cut and it has the Tales of the Black Freighter animated comic. The comic is a commentary on Adrian Veidt's point of view in the story. I adore the comic run, so it's Ultimate Cut for me.
Are you absolutely sure the Ultimate Cut has more film in it on top of the Black Freighter scenes? I didn't think it did.

I'm just thinking of the Director's Cut as a first-time watch rather than the Ultimate Cut which imagine would put some people off at first.
Snyder's preferred version is the Director's Cut too.

I only had it as 'Good' - I did like it, but I didn't love it. MoS and BvS:UE are better for me.
I do wish they continued his vision though, especially with all the teases about the nightmare world of the future.
It was all about building up to the final "Endgame" films.

I guess ZSJL could be somewhat compared to one of the Avengers movies. Getting the team together to fight a foe united, but the big bad and crescendo of all story arcs (Superman, Batman, Darkseid all of them) is still to come.

That could have been (and hopefully still can be) so epic !

If only the studio, and the public (with some guidance by the studio what they were roughly planning ala Marvel in Phases) could have had some patience and confidence in what they were building. But like so many things in the modern world it's all "immediate gratification culture". People can't work to earn something, they need a $1B movie now, they need to know what the movie coming out is about now, they need scoops to know what the ending is now.

OK rant over.....:)

It was all about building up to the final "Endgame" films.

I guess ZSJL could be somewhat compared to one of the Avengers movies. Getting the team together to fight a foe united, but the big bad and crescendo of all story arcs (Superman, Batman, Darkseid all of them) is still to come.

That could have been (and hopefully still can be) so epic !

If only the studio, and the public (with some guidance by the studio what they were roughly planning ala Marvel in Phases) could have had some patience and confidence in what they were building. But like so many things in the modern world it's all "immediate gratification culture". People can't work to earn something, they need a $1B movie now, they need to know what the movie coming out is about now, they need scoops to know what the ending is now.

OK rant over.....:)
And they will sit there watching Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones spread over 80 hours/10 years worth and bloody love it!

And they will sit there watching Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones spread over 80 hours/10 years worth and bloody love it!
Yep, unfortunately there needs to be more done to protect people from themselves.

Good example was Baby Yoda in that first episode of Mando. They kept that secret and everyone loved it ! Had that been spread over the internet the surprise and key story element would have been known and many would have said yeah knew that was happening, what else ??

Execs also need to spend less time listening to social media where no one will agree on anything. I mean this little film rating study we just did shows how different people rate the same movies.

Are you absolutely sure the Ultimate Cut has more film in it on top of the Black Freighter scenes? I didn't think it did.

I'm just thinking of the Director's Cut as a first-time watch rather than the Ultimate Cut which imagine would put some people off at first.
Snyder's preferred version is the Director's Cut too.

In addition to Tales of the Black Freighter it includes additional newsstand scenes. Gives more context to TotBF.

Watchmen (film) - Wikipedia

I think you‘re probably right that the director’s cut might be best for a first watch for someone who’s never read the comic run.

They teach entire courses on Watchmen in universities now, lol, it’s considered high literature.

I’m totally into it, so here is my recommended YT “course“ in Watchmen:

In addition to Tales of the Black Freighter it includes additional newsstand scenes. Gives more context to TotBF.

Watchmen (film) - Wikipedia

I think you‘re probably right that the director’s cut might be best for a first watch for someone who’s never read the comic run.

They teach entire courses on Watchmen in universities now, lol, it’s considered high literature.

I’m totally into it, so here is my recommended YT “course“ in Watchmen:

Ah yes, the Newsstand scenes. They are there simply to bridge in and out of the animation aren't they?

I never knew they taught it, does Alan Moore hate that too lol.

Ah yes, the Newsstand scenes. They are there simply to bridge in and out of the animation aren't they?

Yeah it helps bridge TotBF but also fleshes out the symbolism of the comic and the relationship between the newsstand owner and the kid reading the comic. And the little subplots of other characters connected to the newsstand.

Haha, well, actually I would think Moore probably would appreciate that it’s being taught at the college level because for the most part the professors would tend to agree with him. Moore feels it’s pathetic that adults indulge in escapism through comics which he correctly points out that comic books were invented to appeal to the psyche of a 12 y/o boy, i.e., that‘s the target audience In the Golden and Silver Ages. It’s similar to the position that why are we spending trillions sending astronauts to the moon and Mars when so many people here on earth go hungry each day? Etc.

Zack Snyder arrived at a different conclusion about what superheroes mean. He sees them through the lens of Joseph Campbell’s hero’s journey, and therefore by definition as Jungian archetypes. Archetypes reflect real things psychologically which even if inherently abstract in nature are embedded in the human psyche; and it behooves us to understand them better in order to achieve good psychological functioning. Hero archetypes are idealizations, and reality never lives up to ideals, which is something that we’re always reconciling. But at the end of the day the psych needs ideals to guide and motivate us, to give us something to aim towards. The fact that our psyche generates heroic archetypes is not a bad thing, it’s actually good overall. And it’s also truly fascinating that the mind does this. That it gives us these archetypes to meditate on. And it happens both individually and at the cultural level.

Anyway, that’s why he gives a kind of “cool factor“ to the heroes in Watchmen in his film (including—well, especially!—Rorschach), whereas in Moore’s run other than Doctor Manhattan (the only one with actual super powers) they‘re kind of pathetic in a way. A good example is Dan who in the comics is sort of flabby and out of shape. He looks a bit ridiculous in his costume. Especially his cold weather gear in Antarctica, lol. The Minute Men in particular all look silly in their superhero getups. Moore was saying that if superheroes were real, it would be nothing like the idealized fantasy of comics. Their superhero-ism would be as troubled and dysfunctional and sad as human beings actually are in real life. It’s a deeply pessimistic view of humanity, really. Rorschach is an exemplar of that idea. Most sober, rational, thoughtful people wouldn’t really want someone as disturbed as that running around as a vigilante irl. Even as an antihero.

It’s interesting that even in the comic run Moore, who is a self-identified anarchist, takes what is for him ideologically (in terms of his politics) a thoroughly reprehensible right wing ideologue character and nevertheless makes him the one that must at all costs tell the truth at the end of the day. He’s like Diogenes, and he makes no concessions or compromises about truth as he sees it. People say that Zack ”doesn’t get” Rorschach because he makes him cool. But I would submit that even Moore can’t avoid having him feel admirable in that respect.

Last edited:
I've seen The Batman about 3 times now and it just does it for me. While Batman, I found it to be a total breath of fresh air out of all the comicbook movies we have gotten in the past 3 years. Watched a bunch of the behind the scenes for it the other day and it just feels like there was an extra heavy investment from all involved, especially Matt Reeves. Feels like there is a clear vision behind it. Plus this is probably my favourite depiction of Gotham in live action so far, an excellent balance of grit and realism while still staying true to the comics.

I went in with high expectations and it managed to meet them, if not exceed in some areas. I think Reeves did the impossible and created a Batman film that can stand alongside The Dark Knight in terms of quality.
The Batman is my favorite live action Batman movie at every department and also IMO the best live action DC movie. Cannot wait for what is in store for the future. While I don't like Nolan movies as Batman movies, the first 2 are still very good (except the laughable voice). I think Reeves made a movie objectively which is an equal or better than The Dark Knight.

Last edited:
I was looking through some of my favourite movies and I can’t believe I forgot V for Vendetta in the discussion of my favourite DC movies! I know some would say that opinion is totally on brand for me (and they wouldn’t NECESSARILY be wrong) but it’s still true! Would very easily put that in my top tier. The imagery is unmatched. This scene is exactly why I love it, melding together such incredible performances, orchestra, cinematography, thematic qualities and iconography.

I will say one of the things I appreciate about DC in comparison to Marvel is just how far reaching the graphic novels and comic books they create are- which then leads to such diverse film adaptations. The reason that Batman has lasted the way he has is not just because of how incredible Bruce Wayne and Batman as a dynamic is, but also simply because of the vast array of ways you can interpret him. And for some, Reeves’ interpretation is their favourite. Even though I don’t see it that way, I think it’s really cool for a character to be as multifaceted as that. That’s how he can remain so timeless.

Either way, just some thoughts from me, loved reading this great and thoughtful discussion between you all! It speaks to the passion you all have for these movies!

Last edited:
The fact that our psyche generates heroic archetypes is not a bad thing, it’s actually good overall. And it’s also truly fascinating that the mind does this. That it gives us these archetypes to meditate on. And it happens both individually and at the cultural level.

Yes, it's fascinating that similar motifs recur across races, cultures, religions etc.

• TB is the best Batflick if you need the "Gotham after dark" experience (which some would argue is essential for a Batman movie)
  • TDK is the best Batflick if you don't need the "Gotham after dark experience" and/or need the Joker
  • BvS is the best Batflick if you need the metahumans/comic-book fantasy/shared universe experience
There are also aspects of the Synderverse I prefer to the others, such as Alfred, the Batcave and Bat-hardware.

And arguably the moments we do get to see Battfleck operating at night are at least as good as Patman and Baleman.

Bvs is sadly the ONLY Batman film with the shared universe/fantasy/meta human element. Now he could exist in the Schumacher verse as he was referenced but that movie isn’t good. Need more batflicks that have that shared element but aren’t a Snyder flick. Wanna see how that does. And no that whedon jl doesn’t count .

Never followed the making of or was aware of the behind the scenes drama of this franchise, yet I remember when he was first cast, I honestly thought he would be a future time-displaced Bart Allen, and his role would be knowing if this team didn't form, the future was doomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back