Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one things that scares the hell out of me is a lineup of quirky Gunn picked DC characters against Darkseid in some final Crisis type event.

Marvel never really went with the quirky. Except for Gunn's Guardians, which is fine, but the rest are all pretty steadfast and serious type characters.

I guess time will tell. Maybe they don't even come together at the end ??

I’ve actually checked out emotionally by now. Based on Snyder’s nonverbals when he shared that he hasn’t been contacted, my gut is saying WBD has decided they’re not going to use him or follow through with his five film saga vision. I don‘t really feel any investment in the DCU any longer.

I will absolutely roast what’s bad (to me), though, lol! Like Black Adam. It’s mid af and going to lose money badly. This is basically what we’ll be getting from WBD I’m sure. Or Gunn’s TSS (which also lost money badly). Not for me.

Hollywood execs are so afraid of taking risks. They’ll do a ****** job at copying the MCU. They’ll keep the DCU movies bland and generic, and will continue to quake in their shoes about any vision that comments thoughtfully about the genre itself, and society, etc. Anything an introspective adult might appreciate.

Well, actually, they will use the so-called Black Label brand for what Todd Philips and Zack Snyder did. For quirky one-offs. But not for the mainstream continuity where all the elaborate worldbuilding and story development will be concentrated.

Last edited:
I’ve actually checked out emotionally by now. Based on Snyder’s nonverbals when he shared that he hasn’t been contacted, my gut is saying WBD has decided they’re not going to use him or follow through with his five film saga vision. I don‘t really feel any investment in the DCU any longer.

I will absolutely roast what’s bad (to me), though, lol! Like Black Adam. It’s mid af and going to lose money badly. This is basically what we’ll be getting from WBD I’m sure. Or Gunn’s TSS (which also lost money badly). Not for me.

Hollywood execs are so afraid of taking risks. They’ll do a ****** job at copying the MCU. They’ll keep the DCU movies bland and generic, and will continue to quake in their shoes about any vision that comments thoughtfully about the genre itself, and society, etc. Anything an introspective adult might appreciate.

Well, actually, they will use the so-called Black Label brand for what Todd Philips and Zack Snyder did. For quirky one-offs. But not for the mainstream continuity where all the elaborate worldbuilding and story development will be concentrated.
That's a pity to hear Alatar. But at this point I tend to agree that the Snyderverse following just the 5 film arc is probably not going to happen. However I think it's still too early to take Zack's comments as a final statement that he won't be involved at all at this early stage.

But better to be checked out and be pleasantly surprised if something does happen I guess.

No doubt they'll introduce many more characters and build the universe. But taking a step back perhaps all is not lost. I mean there is that scene of Batman, WW and Alfred going into the big room with Batman stating his plans for a League with room for more players. Plus there is also the wish for more Cavill Superman and Affleck Batman. So maybe the way to Darkseid will be more of a longer path than the direct route planned initially by Zack ? But of course still have dashes of the original plan.

I mean if I was Gunn I'd be targetting an end with Darkseid. If Cavill, Affleck, Gadot + Mamoa are still all involved then all that has a previous tone which they can't change dramatically. So add in some additional characters and make it a mix of new and old plans. Maybe that could also have a higher chance in satisfying all fans somehow too ? Anyway, that's what I'd do.

Last edited:
It’ll happen. Just not in the way you want it to. They’ll make a comic or show. But a few yrs down the line they’ll most likely adapt it.

The wishful thinking side of me hopes that’s just Ben getting his ducks in a row to make the more intimate indie films he wants to make, and that WB will be bankrolling them in some way, and he’d still love to continue as Batman in the DCU for a good while yet. But honestly, I have no faith or confidence in anything DCU related at this point.

Last edited:
Anyone who thought Black Adam was the answer to DC's problem just wasn't thinking clearly. The Rock is not the one to set the agenda for DC's future. Superman and Batman are the only ones. They are the foundation of DC like it or not.

I don’t know what idiot thought that. Sure I’d love to see lesser known heroes come into play but Superman and Batman come first. As a person who isn’t a huge Superman fan I find it sad that the most iconic superhero in the world is treated like crap by the most incompetent idiots I’ve ever seen. Dc/WB or whoever may be in charge are the most idiotic people to own billion dollar ip

Hollywood in general is losing money on most films really really bad it’s absolutely disastrous.

After Top Gun that low (no) budget clown horror movie Frightener 2 and Smile are the only 2 making a profit I don’t even think BP2 will make huge profits.

BA is an absolute financial disaster yikes.

Following Marvel’s plan is a bad idea just look at phase 4.

High budget Superhero movies might be coming to an end.

I don’t even know how the studios are paying these salaries.

Actor salary negotiations are probably going something like this:

Actor: “I demand millions lots of them!”

Studio: “Sorry we don’t need you for Frightener 3”

For me it's a glass half full or half empty scenario.

If Marvel is tanking and people are losing faith in them, then it's a huge opportunity for WB to step up and fill the gap with some decent grown up adult stuff. It's WB's opportunity to have their time in the sun. But of course it's all up to WBD. At least it seems like they are making a decent plan, which is miles better than the previous afformentioned idiots running the show.

So the ball is really in their court. I remain open to see how things go. Black Adam was still a product of the previous regime imo. And it was an OK starter, but this all needs to move coherantly and hopefully will build over time and not totally ignore what Snyder started.

Boxoffice is probably also down due to global economic downturn. I know I am somewhat more careful with my money at the moment with high energy costs high, inflation etc etc. So movies tend to be one of those things which people can easily skip. However recessions etc typically don't last too long, and with some luck WBD's plan will get through this and be huge in a few years.

The wishful thinking side of me hopes that’s just Ben getting his ducks in a row to make the more intimate indie films he wants to make, and that WB will be bankrolling them in some way, and he’d still love to continue as Batman in the DCU for a good while yet. But honestly, I have no faith or confidence in anything DCU related at this point.
Call me the eternal optimist, but Ben having a production company is nothing out of the ordinary at all to me. Pretty much all big actors have production companies. It's probably exceptionally lucrative. i.e to star and produce is like a double paycheck.

Margot Robbie does it, and I'm sure Affleck has the contacts etc to do it well as well.

Sure I could be proven totally wrong and Affleck only wants to do his own Indie films etc, however as you say, if he is playing with WB for Batman for the next years, then it gives him play money to make the passion projects he might have.

It's a good model to still get good lower profile movies made, which Hollywood just can't / won't make anymore as they simply don't make the money needed to cover their inflated costs.

Oof! I have every expectation that the inevitable MCU-DCU crossover is going to be bad. A James Gunn jokefest.

Note: Eternals referenced Superman as well!

I’ll seize every opportunity to say it: I believe Zack Snyder has moved on from WBD/DC and my hope is that he will obtain the rights to some obscure but utterly cool comic book characters… or to invent his own original ones… and to start telling exactly the sorts of stories he wants with total creative freedom.

Especially Rebel Moon is a big hit, I think Zack will be in as strong a position as ever to do this.

I will mourn the loss of my own personal emotional investment in the DCU. But for the adult themes and aesthetic that draws me to DC’s characters, the DCU has been dead to me for a while anyway. I’ll still rubberneck at what the DCU does. And I won’t hold back any negative criticisms I have. But no longer will I invest in it emotionally.

Last edited:
BA 2? Right. Kiss it goodbye unless they lower the budget by $150 million or so.
He will appear in another DC movie but not Cavill's new Superman. I don't see that happening

So why did it take them so long to squeeze this out again? Cause I remember this was talked about for decades. Kinda like lebrons space jam

We're about due for some new DC news aren't we ? They had such good momentum at least with general news etc !

If we could get a slate showing their plans going out a couple of years past The Flash movie that would help me to know if I should give a s##t or not. But can't see that happening any time soon. Probably Comic Con next year I guess.

Get ready for characters like Bat-mite, Plastic Man, and Booster Gold.

To be fair I would like to see those characters cause they use to show up in the cartoons I watched. It’s just that the universe is so broken and unhinged I don’t know if they will be done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back