Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he doesn’t come back… he deserves better. I’d actually like to see him as Cyclops or someone else in a leading role in the MCU.

Maybe the new higher ups actually know what they’re doing. Didn’t he say something like “Superman has been on the back burner for far too long.”

I hope he doesn’t come back… he deserves better. I’d actually like to see him as Cyclops or someone else in a leading role in the MCU.
I don't think Cavill's the kind of actor who'd be ok having his eyes covered up the whole time.

Maybe the new higher ups actually know what they’re doing. Didn’t he say something like “Superman has been on the back burner for far too long.”

I don't have too much faith they know what they're doing but I'll be optimistic I guess. I have a feeling the Rock will lead the new DC verse and if he is, I'm sure Cavill will be back since the Rock's ex wife if Henry's manager. I don't expect the films to be any less mediocre though, but maybe Black Adam will prove me wrong.

Screw it, just cast Dwayne as Superman too. He can surely play dual roles. :lol

Watching WBD shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly and embarrass themselves is more entertaining then anything they could possibly put out at the moment.

It doesn't make up for their mismanagement of DC because I'd like to see good DC movies. But it's something to watch at least.

Watching WBD shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly and embarrass themselves is more entertaining then anything they could possibly put out at the moment.

It doesn't make up for their mismanagement of DC because I'd like to see good DC movies. But it's something to watch at least.
It’s so sad cause it’s evident nobody knows what the hell they are doing there. They are complete idiots it seems. Everyone was thinking the merger was going to put thing into place 😂. Lol seems like it’s making things worse. The Batman may be canceled aswell. Then you’ll have Snyder fans and just casual dc fans boy cotting

It’s so sad cause it’s evident nobody knows what the hell they are doing there. They are complete idiots it seems. Everyone was thinking the merger was going to put thing into place 😂. Lol seems like it’s making things worse. The Batman may be canceled aswell. Then you’ll have Snyder fans and just casual dc fans boy cotting

The head of WB Discovery reportedly said Batgirl didn't feel cinematic enough and only wants films to be big cinematic events, whatever that may mean.

I heard it said Batgirl looked a bit cheap production wise. But it'd still take a lot to take that kind of a loss.

We'll have to see what it means for the future of DC movies but it seems like there might be even more executive oversight to make these films bigger and flashier.

I think Batgirl being canned might honestly be a good thing.

The head of WB Discovery reportedly said Batgirl didn't feel cinematic enough and only wants films to be big cinematic events, whatever that may mean.

I heard it said Batgirl looked a bit cheap production wise. But it'd still take a lot to take that kind of a loss.

We'll have to see what it means for the future of DC movies but it seems like there might be even more executive oversight to make these films bigger and flashier.
That means they will try and be even more marvel. Hooooo boy. That ain’t good.

I don't have too much faith they know what they're doing but I'll be optimistic I guess. I have a feeling the Rock will lead the new DC verse and if he is, I'm sure Cavill will be back since the Rock's ex wife if Henry's manager. I don't expect the films to be any less mediocre though, but maybe Black Adam will prove me wrong.

I think it's less about the "stars" in the film and more about the tone.

If Marvel is the PG13 family friendly kind of angle ( Look how different the first Iron Man is to the rest of the MCU, it actually has a sex scene and there are moments when Tony Stark goes into a murderous retribution zone) then the DCEU should have gone hard R in their films.

It means he wanted ESB and they gave him the Holiday Special.

297282651_2070449649801206_4948563522735434906_n.png

posted this in the batgirl thread
seems plausible but sad for the cast and crew that needed the exposure rather than the payday they actually got

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/b...os-1235332062/

Variety
SUBSCRIBE
Plus Icon
HOME
FILM
NEWS
Aug 2, 2022 5:17pm PT
Why Warner Bros. Killed ‘Batgirl’: Inside the Decision Not to Release the DC Movie
By Adam B. Vary, Brent Lang
GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - JANUARY 19: Members
Jeff J. Mitchell/Getty Images
The death of “Batgirl” on Tuesday sent immediate shockwaves through Hollywood. The film — with a $75 million budget that grew to $90 million due to COVID-related overages — had finished shooting months ago and was in test screenings as directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah (“Bad Boys for Life,” “Ms. Marvel”) worked through the post-production process. Star Leslie Grace (“In the Heights”) had given multiple interviews expressing her enthusiasm for landing the title role and working with co-stars Michael Keaton (as Batman), J.K. Simmons (as her character’s father, Commissioner Gordon) and Brendan Fraser (as the villain, Firefly).

In other words, the movie was nearly finished, and already building awareness among fans. Why would Warner Bros. Discovery throw all that away?

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, the most likely reason: taxes.

Related Stories
VIP+
Will Smith Apology Video Botches His Image Rehab
‘Batgirl’ Film Axed by Warner Bros., Won’t Be Released on Any Platform
Several sources note that “Batgirl” was made under a different regime at Warner Bros., headed by Jason Kilar and Ann Sarnoff, that was singularly focused on building its streaming service, HBO Max. That effort included Kilar’s infamous decision to release the studio’s entire 2021 theatrical slate simultaneously on the streamer, which helped build the subscriber base but also jeopardized the studio’s reputation with top-tier talent (though many agents and stars privately came to appreciate the move when the company paid generous bonuses as a make-nice).

Even before David Zaslav took the reins of the newly formed Warner Bros. Discovery as CEO this spring, the exec went on a well-publicized listening tour designed to repair the company’s relationship with the creative community. As part of that effort, Zaslav has made no secret of reversing Kilar’s strategy and committing to releasing first-run feature films in theaters before putting them on HBO Max.

“Batgirl” found itself on the bad end of that decision, apparently neither big enough to feel worthy of a major theatrical release nor small enough to make economic sense in an increasingly cutthroat streaming landscape. Spending the money to expand the scope of “Batgirl” for theaters — plus the $30 million to $50 million needed to market it domestically and the tens of millions more needed for a global rollout — could have nearly doubled spending on the film, and insiders say that was a non-starter at a company newly focused on belt-tightening and the bottom line. (Spokespeople for Warner Bros. and Warner Bros. Discovery declined to comment for this story.)

Releasing the movie on HBO Max would seem to be the most obvious solution. Instead, the company has shelved “Batgirl” — along with the “Scoob!” sequel — and several sources say it will almost certainly take a tax write-down on both films, seen internally as the most financially sound way to recoup the costs (at least, on an accountant’s ledger). It could justify that by chalking it up to a post-merger change of strategy.

Doing so, however, would mean that Warner Bros. cannot monetize either movie — no HBO Max debut, no sale to another studio.

What the decision will cost the studio in creative capital, meanwhile, remains to be seen.

What man would ever want to see a movie with silly Batgirl fighting crime thank the maker they canceled this crap.

Girls need not worry you still got WW celebrate this news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back