FrankenFan's Photoshop Fundamentals — Sig Tutorial

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Specifically, what keyboard commands were giving you trouble?

Taking another try at a sig. I found that in Step 10 where it says to press Command J for a New Layer above Data 2, in PC you press Shift CTRL N for a new layer.

WOW!! This is a great tutorial!!! i just found this thread so have not had time to go through it. But I have Photoshop Elements 5.0. Will this tutorial work for it???
I've never used the app, but from what cursory knowledge I do have of Elements, I think you would encounter some stumbling blocks if you attempt to follow the tutorial step-by-step.

Elements automates basic photo enhancing and retouching techniques and is aimed more at amateur photo enthusiasts and hobbyists, and my tutorial relies on specific tools, filters, commands, etc., such as Layer Blending Modes, the Minimum Filter, Clipping Paths, and Transparent GIFs, that may only be available in the more profession-level Photoshop.

That's not to say you can't create a sig in Elements, just that you're likely to come across things in the tutorial that have no corresponding tool or feature in Elements.

There is a site for Elements users that offers a learning center, forum, and online training. It focuses mainly on Elements 6, but perhaps you will find some of the info useful to you and applicable to your version of Elements. Here's the link: PhotoshopElementsUser.com.

Good luck, King!

Thanks frankenfan! the background is the bottom piece of superman's S symbol. I really didnt know what to use so I just took a crop of that. Im not very good at improvising as I don't really know how to use effects all that well. Im better at following instructions hehe.

PS: going back to the animated lights thing... would you be able to give me some advice on how to make the kryptonian text in my sig pulsate? I'd like to keep superman, and possibly the clark and daily planet pics, but maybe find something new for the background too. but i think it would be cool to have the text glow :)
I figured that was what it had to be, but the upper curvature of the "S" and that white hot spot was throwing me off.

Look for a simple tutorial on how to create a basic pulsating glow, soon. It will based on your suggestion for a spin-off of the Iron Man sig tut: We're going to create a complementary Iron Man avatar with glowing/pulsating lenses. My goal with the tutorials is introduce tools and techniques that can be adapted and applied to a variety of images, so hopefully you'll be able to use it for your Kryptonian glyphs.

supes_sig.gif

supes_sig2b.gif

Second try. figured out some things i did incorrectly the first time, mainly how to use the gradient tool. Also used a crop of the fortress for the background instead.

Second try. figured out some things i did incorrectly the first time, mainly how to use the gradient tool. Also used a crop of the fortress for the background instead.
The neutral background makes Supe's "pop" more now, but I think the warm color of the Planet Building seems out of place, especially with the image of Clark balancing it on he right.

You might also consider cropping Supes' trunks at the bottom edge of the background, to create the illusion that he is flying out of the scene.

You're on the right track — keep going!

I think it would look best if the the (2) sigs became one!

Plus on the B&W background sig there is a line running above Superman's eyebrow.

All in all..... the full color sig pops more to me.

But its ultimately up to Nash to choose.

Last edited:
Quick question... when using the shortcuts, I was at a loss at first because the wrong tools kept coming up. Then I reviewed the shortcut options and realized that a lot of tools use the same shortcut and finally figured out how to get the tool I needed. Is there any way to make one tool a default over another when they both use the same shortcut? Just a nit, but it was frustrating for a little while...

Quick question... Is there any way to make one tool a default over another when they both use the same shortcut?
Excellent question!

To return tools to their default settings, Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (PC) on the tool's icon in the Options bar, then choose Reset Tool or Reset All Tools from the contextual menu (see attachment).

You can also cycle through tools that have one or more "hidden tools" by holding down the Shift key, and then pressing the corresponding letter key on your keyboard. For example, if you want to switch from the Rectangular Marquee to the Oval Marquee to the Single Row Marquee to the Single Column Marquee, hold down Shift and press M repeatedly until the tool you wish to use is selected.

For your Photoshopping convenience, I've attached a handy reference to all of Photoshop CS3's tool shortcuts.

You can also create Tool Presets to create a tool that performs a specific function with preset custom attributes of your choosing:

1. Choose a Tool you want to customize, and set its options in the Options bar.

2. Click the Tool Preset button next to the tool at the left of the options bar — or — Choose Window>Tool Presets to display the Tool Presets palette.

3. Click the Create New Tool Preset button — or — Choose New Tool Preset from the palette menu.

4. Enter a name for the tool preset, and click OK.

Hope this helps!

Pretty cool. I wish I had photoshop software on my computer, but seems like the cheapest one I have seen for sale is $100.

Pretty cool. I wish I had photoshop software on my computer, but seems like the cheapest one I have seen for sale is $100.
Thanks, Kit!

If that $100 is for version 7, CS, or CS2, jump on it! You can upgrade to the current version, Photoshop CS3, for $199. That's a savings of $351 off the street price of $649.

OK, here is something I was playing around with, but it is not going to be my sig... I'm still trying to find some images and come up with some ideas for the real thing! In the meantime, what do you think about this, and please, don't be afraid to be brutally honest!!! I can take it! :D

I need something else for the background, I already know that much...

UniMonSig.gif

OK, here is something I was playing around with, but it is not going to be my sig... I'm still trying to find some images and come up with some ideas for the real thing! In the meantime, what do you think about this, and please, don't be afraid to be brutally honest!!! I can take it! :D
Brutal? Never! Helpful? I hope so! :)

I like the busts, and I think you did a good job sizing them relative to each other, given the difference in the height and width of the pedestal bases, and Drac's overall ginormity :lol. You may want to think about lightening the shadow of the emboss on the Monster and Drac, as it appears a bit severe, at least to me. In addition, I would lose the drop shadow on the banner, and add the effect to the busts. I would also increase the height of the banner, to have a bit more of the busts against the background. (BTW, the current width of your banner is in violation of Darklord Dave's size restriction! Bad Mod!)

If you want to use text as a background element over which other elements are placed, select a bold sans-serif font (top), with tight kerning (space between letters), rather than an open, serif face (bottom):

fnts.jpg

You could also resize the logo to fit between the busts, and add one of those snazzy Web 2.0 reflections:

ssc_logo_rflct.jpg

I need something else for the background, I already know that much...
For the background, I'd choose something neutral, to make the busts pop. Here, I chose a taupe color and added an abstract shape with the brush tool. I also added your name to the background, rather than having it "float."

UniMonSig_rvsd-1.gif

Hope this was helpful and keep us apprised of your progress on the real deal!

Last edited:
Brutal? Never! Helpful? I hope so! :)

I like the busts, and I think you did a good job sizing them relative to each other, given the difference in the height and width of the pedestal bases, and Drac's overall ginormity :lol. You may want to think about lightening the shadow of the emboss on the Monster and Drac, as it appears a bit severe, at least to me. In addition, I would lose the drop shadow on the banner, and add the effect to the busts. I would also increase the height of the banner, to have a bit more of the busts against the background. (BTW, the current width of your banner is in violation of Darklord Dave's size restriction! Bad Mod!)...

I used the same settings on all four busts, so I will have to look at the Frank and Drac; I thought it was a little too severe as well. The reason it became to wide was that I started at a width of 500 pixels and when I added the drop shadow, I had to increases it for the shadow to show up! :lol

If you want to use text as a background element over which other elements are placed, select a bold sans-serif font (top), with tight kerning (space between letters), rather than an open, serif face (bottom):...

For the background, I'd choose something neutral, to make the busts pop. Here, I chose a taupe color and added an abstract shape with the brush tool. I also added your name to the background, rather than having it "float."...

I haven't really decided on the background yet. On this piece, I started with the logo, but wasn't happy with the way the busts covered it. I tried transparency, but that just didn't look very good and I also tried to resize it between the busts, but that didn't look very good either.

I do like what you did with my User Title!! I may borrow that idea... I can already see it with a font that would make it look very "monster-ish"! :D

Thanks for all the suggestions! I don't get a lot of time at work to play around with Photoshop, so that is why I am a little slow at this, but now that I am actually beginning to understand some of the tools and effects, I may have to get a copy for myself! A new signature and avatar are still being worked on, so soon...

Back