0   0   0
Reaction score
Batman 1-2021 (1).jpgFM Ink Batman 5.21.21 (2).jpgFM Ink Ronin 2021.jpg

Otomofan

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Frank's new cover for the 30th anniversary edition of Sin City.

It's all right, but not his best work.

Sin City 30th.jpg

Now a while back I mentioned that my friend got a very, very good Marv sketch as a commission. In my opinion, it's even better than the new 30th cover. I've seen it posted elsewhere, so he's OK with it being posted. I'm very much looking forward to seeing this in person:

original FM Marv.jpeg

Compared to the other stuff Frank churns out for commission (and we're talking BIG BIG ASS money here) I'd say my buddy won the jackpot. A lot of people ended up with a sloppy mess but it looks like Frank really put some time and effort into this one.

Otomofan

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Every time I think I've seen every amazing Frank picture I find one that blows me away.

I've never seen this before....I assume it was a gift to Chip Kidd in 2003. (If this is a fake this is the best fake I've ever seen, and I'll feel like an idiot.)

Isn't this AWESOME?? Man, this is just incredible.

FM for Chip Kidd.png

generalszabo

Super Freak
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reaction score
I can't stand Miller's art in most of his books, in Wolverine it was great but not a fan of his more stylised, distinctive work. I put up with it for DKR as the story is so good

Mondragon

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Frank Miller' references to the other Dark Knight, ...ZORRO!

From Year One - written by Frank Miller , illustrated by David Mazzucchelli
."..,years since Zorro, ...the Mark of Zorro, ...since all sense left my life."
Zorro becomes the last idealized thing Bruce saw, as an innocent...
5q342x.gif

250px-Dark_knight_returns.jpeg

DKR , where Miller first reinforced Zorro as the movie/character and last ideal before his life is irrevocably changed forever, the archetype he then again falls back on (combined with his own totem animal) as a means to reinvent himself.
As far as I know Miller only drew Zorro once, yet what an homage!

Familiar lightning motif.... (Topps Comics) Zorro #1
3d0bb7c550f35e91be0de622568e76cf.jpg

RT23ZD5.jpg

And the character he inspired... DKR
5ea3c9e02fa7907a9b9b45f4153910ef.jpg

Wayne having left his masked persona behind, now a self described "hollow shell".
That night, triggered by his childhood memory, he once used to own his fear , and reinvent himself...
3liXqdi.jpg

xdyox.gif

2h1f1m.gif

triggering his symbolic "baptism" a sequence of lightning and rain culminating in him being "born again" as a familiar creature of the night.
jWs42a6.gif

MFEblQZ.gif

Towards the end .. after a nuke wipes out all electronics and modern gadgetry, symbolically plunging Gotham into the past, he is forced to revert to the rawest form, the pure, primal archetype- that inspired him as a kid. ...reemerging from the cave, lightning striking, riding a black horse through a Gotham, plunged into archaic darkness.
Dark-Knight-horse.jpg

If that wasn't subtle enough....
DK2 Strikes Again ..."Leaves his mark. Why it's a "Z" I can't guess. Must mean something to him."
AsZEjFS.jpg

dI47V3T.jpg

While traditionally the man who blames and pursues Zorro endlessly for permanently scarring his face, is reflected in the Joker. Here in this dystopian future it's placed on Lex Luthor, more closely paralleling the classic totalitarian nemesis, to Zorro as guardian of the oppressed. .

-

Another, less known and sadly not celebrated or ever acknowledged in the comicsphere fandom , is possibly the first female lead masked adventuring heroine film, before Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Catwoman, Elektra, Captain Marvel, or Black Widow films, was Zorro's Black Whip....
stir.jpg

Homaged in SC -Dallas aka La Zorra
366188db6cddca09a26029b53efaba5ad65ac67e.jpg

Last edited: