Frank Miller appreciation thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My man Frank is still continuing to churn out Marvel variant covers.

Here's his Human Torch, and as far as I'm aware, the very first ever published rendition of a Frank Miller Deadpool.

Human Torch.jpg

Deadpool.jpg

In the meantime, Frank is slooooowly putting out the "sequel" to Ronin on his own publishing label.

A sequel nobody wanted, 4 decades later.

Frank is writing the dialogue and providing layouts and the finished art is provided by Philip Tan.

It's incredibly frustrating that they're essentially sitting on more or less "complete" Frank Miller interior artwork and instead of just printing it as is, they're going with the generic, cookie cutter, 1990s-era Image style "EXTREME!!" art instead. This crap is just so basic and boring. At least Frank's art has style, as crude as it is. It still looks like Miller. Philip Tan's pages just look like your typical over-cross-hatched crap that helped kill the industry.

aaa.jpg

bbb.jpg
ccc.jpg
ddd.jpg

Thankfully, they did just what I suggested with the fourth issue and just printed Frank's layouts with inks over them. It's not "great" but it's a lot better than the other issues. But now you've got a weird fourth chapter that sticks out like a sore thumb. I really hope they just go back and print the whole thing from Frank's layouts like they should have done in the first place. It's the only way I'm actually gonna buy the book in print. The story is complete and utter nonsense, as you'd imagine it would be.

This one is a commission and hasn't been used as a cover, but I think it's better than the one that was used.

gCN4z12l_3107230458201gpadd.jpeg

Just came across these, from the very early 90s.

This is a two-page spread from an issue of "Martha Washington"

Martha Washington Marv.jpg

And this was the cover of the Dark Horse Presents that had the first chapter of Sin City:

DHP 5th.jpg

I think these are really cool pieces cause they're among the last collaborations with Lynn Varley doing hand-painted colors. Also, the drawing style on the DHP cover is right in that period after "Elektra Lives Again" and before Sin City really got started. Probably one of the last examples of this style, since his work on Sin City would become a lot more abstract and use less fine detailed lines.

Last edited:
Back