Expanding the Sideshow DC Comics 1:6 line?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact is, there are plenty of subpar HT figures as well with the only thing going for them is the lifelike paintwork. If it were true that once you get your first HT you never look back then there wouldn't be many collectors on this board and the Facebook groups (and probably not on socials) who still buy both HT and Sideshow figures, my self included. The 1/6 world goes beyond this forum and the Facebook groups and the Sideshow figures sell out regardless if you think the they are bad or not. There are plenty of ppl who like them as they are and that's ok. With that said, you're obviously set in your way of thinking, and we're all entitled to our opinions. I'm not going to argue with you about what's good and what's bad. Those types of debates are always pointless.
Agreed…it is completely pointless for you to even suggest, let alone mount an “argument,”that there is any reasonable comparison between the product that Hot Toys puts out and the output of Sideshow Collectibles.
Everything that Hot Toys releases isn’t perfect and there is always room for improvement, but “plenty of sub par figures” is inaccurate.
You may not like them, but they still represent the height of the current industry standard.
If their figures are “sub par” for the retail, licensed, 1/6 scale figure industry what are you comparing them too? Which company’s products represent the par that Hot Toys is falling below?
If “plenty” of their releases are sub par then what must that make the typical Sideshow release by comparison?
If you’ve got a bunch of your money tied up in shelves filled with mediocre figures from Sideshow I understand and even encourage you to continue to do your best to try to enjoy them, but let’s not get carried away and suggest that there is any parity between Sideshow and Hot Toys whatsoever.
Saying that the “only thing going for them is the ‘lifelike paintwork’” is a like saying the “only thing going for that Billionaire’s bank account is the billion dollars in it. A little silly don’t you think?

I’ve probably had more HT figures throughout their time as a company than you ever have, quite near since their beginning, so again, not going to argue with you. My shelves have been filled with everything from HT, Medicom, Enterbay, Sideshow, third party, of all scales, types and brands. I don’t have the time, energy or care in the world to explain anything to someone on the Internet I don’t even know to be quite honest. Like I side, you’re set in your way of thinking and that’s totally fine. Not going to argue or debate anything with you. It gets no one anywhere :wave

Last edited:
I’ve probably had more HT figures throughout their time as a company than you ever have, quite near since their beginning, so again, not going to argue with you. My shelves have been filled with everything from HT, Medicom, Enterbay, Sideshow, third party, of all scales, types and brands. I don’t have the time, energy or care in the world to explain anything to someone on the Internet I don’t even know to be quite honest. Like I side, you’re set in your way of thinking and that’s totally fine. Not going to argue or debate anything with you. It gets no one anywhere :wave
Ha ha ha! How in the WORLD, could you possibly know how many Hot Toys figures I’ve purchased or how many I have?
what could you possibly be basing that upon?
Like you said…you’re speaking to someone that you don’t know on the internet…so I’ll counter with I probably have exactly 9 more Hot Toys figures than you have, so there!

To suggest that when a collector buys a Hot Toys figure, they never look back is simply wrong. Not because hot Toys puts out sub-par figures every so often (which they do), but because Hot Toys focuses on a very limited variety of characters.
As an example, I've seen collector shelves full of Hot Toys Wolverines, but not a single one of them looks like Wolverine to me, because I grew up reading comics, and I didn't like any of the X-Men films, or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Regardless of their flaws, ALL of the sideshow Wolverines are better representations of Wolverine for someone like me.
My point is that many people want characters, or character representations, that Hot Toys simply doesn't make. Especially in the last few years, where (for good reason) Hot Toys has been almost entirely focused on Marvel MCU and Star Wars.

To suggest that when a collector buys a Hot Toys figure, they never look back is simply wrong. Not because hot Toys puts out sub-par figures every so often (which they do), but because Hot Toys focuses on a very limited variety of characters.
As an example, I've seen collector shelves full of Hot Toys Wolverines, but not a single one of them looks like Wolverine to me, because I grew up reading comics, and I didn't like any of the X-Men films, or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Regardless of their flaws, ALL of the sideshow Wolverines are better representations of Wolverine for someone like me.
My point is that many people want characters, or character representations, that Hot Toys simply doesn't make. Especially in the last few years, where (for good reason) Hot Toys has been almost entirely focused on Marvel MCU and Star Wars.
Yeah, they're about making the buck$ these days for sure. Early on, they were more daring, but now they have us hooked, some ol' opioids...

Only way to force their hand is for the consumers to continue to gripe in forums like this, don't preorder these same characters over and over, and buy third party unlicensed-offerings instead.

Back