EXO-6 Star Trek "Voyager" Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I never realised how similar these two looked. The noses are very similar

Attachments

• images.jpeg-1.jpg
    images.jpeg-1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 32
  • tumblr_obl93jXdoV1ree9sso1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_obl93jXdoV1ree9sso1_1280.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 37
Yeah, I don’t see much likeness there either. Sorry to say, but probably the weakest sculpt by EXO-6 to date. Granted both Data and Picard improved in-hand.

I'm actually really curious to see what this figure looks like from other angles than dead-on. Looking up headshots of the emh, they are very rarely straight into the camera. I think it may have been intentional on the part of the directors not to shoot him that way much, because in a couple of them he seems to have one eye that drifts toward the center slightly, and shooting him off center probably hides that a bit. That's just a guess on my part.

In my minds eye he doesn't have that much wrinkling in the mouth/lower jaw area, but that's more to do with the sick bay being so brightly lit. Clearly when he's in a lot of low light and shadow, that kind of "character" to his face is there.

This is all just me... your opinions will vary. Nanjin did say this isn't the production sculpt, so I'm not particularly concerned about it.

Yeah I too am not loving this sculpt so far. Not seeing much Picardo there…but mostly confident that the final sculpt will be much improved.

EMH started out with his iconic animated expression, and ended up looking like a psychopath. So I didn't consider that as a proto.

Resculpt to this one, then he looked like a funeral home host welcoming people at the door. EMH won't be EMH without some animation. So we resculpt again adding animated expression gradually to a point that production can handle (head sculpt paintup artists can bring out a lot more from the sculpt or even add life to a less than ideal head likeness).

EMH head always tilted backward slight with his eyes looked downward to thr side. Hardly ever looked at people with straight eyes and straight face. His facial muscle never relaxed in front of the camera.

Agree with animated expressions rarely work, seem to be difficult to pull off. Only one I can think of that works is the first Harley Quinn.
Asmus tried a aggressive battle look with Aragorn, it wasn't good and the recent Soosoo toys Butcher alternative head appeared manically evil.

This is 1st round proto and was done by a new paintup tryout artist.

This is not the production EMH. The actual one has slightly more animated expression.

I didn't push too far with animated expression since I am not there at the production. The risk was too high for easily destroying a good head sculpt if the paint up production skills weren't there.
View attachment 542014
780_0536-copy-jpg.542014

darkling_050.jpg

It comes and goes.

Resculpt to this one, then he looked like a funeral home host welcoming people at the door.
Sculptor went friendly, he just came out a little tight in the lips.
I would love to see the supposed funeral mortician take :lol , a more frowny sarcastic expression might actually convey him better.
This guy was super moody:D

When I think of the EMH, I see his face with one eyebrow raised and with half a smirk.
EMH head always tilted backward slight with his eyes looked downward to thr side. Hardly ever looked at people with straight eyes and straight face. His facial muscle never relaxed in front of the camera.
Right there...
6wnptf.jpg

EMH started out with his iconic animated expression, and ended up looking like a psychopath
Yeah those are hard to capture cause an animated^ face frozen ends up looking psycho, so you need something more neutral relaxed.

Last edited:
I'm sure this will turn out great. I think the angle of the photo may be throwing things off a little as you're seeing more of the top of his head. Also Picardo has a very expressive face. Typically a smirk or a raised eyebrow only lasts for a second or two, as opposed to being frozen in place. So pulling off an expression can be tough. That said, I did a quick photoshop tweak just to get an idea of what might bring it a little closer—flattening the hair, raising the eyes, reducing the nose, and neutralizing the expression a bit. It might also be good to add some wrinkling to his forehead. Looking forward to adding the EMH to the collection.

EXO6_EMH.jpg

780_0536-copy-jpg.542014

darkling_050.jpg

It comes and goes.

Sculptor went friendly, he just came out a little tight in the lips.
I would love to see the supposed funeral mortician take :lol , a more frowny sarcastic expression might actually convey him better.
This guy was super moody:D

Right there...
robert-picardo-star-trek-535x400.jpg

Yeah those are hard to capture cause an animated^ face frozen ends up looking psycho, so you need something more neutral relaxed.
Skillful sculptors and paintup artists can have this done. But bring those works into production is totally different story. Only a handful of painters know how to paint complete heads, the rest only know how to paint a certain parts on the head or one-step procedures. Artists take hours to finish one head, we need to finish hundreds of heads within hours.

I push work to higher level quality all the time, but I don't go for unreachable goals or unachievable objectives.

We have an EMH that has subtle animated expression. EMH should be available in the next couple of days.

I'm sure this will turn out great. I think the angle of the photo may be throwing things off a little as you're seeing more of the top of his head. Also Picardo has a very expressive face. Typically a smirk or a raised eyebrow only lasts for a second or two, as opposed to being frozen in place. So pulling off an expression can be tough. That said, I did a quick photoshop tweak just to get an idea of what might bring it a little closer—flattening the hair, raising the eyes, reducing the nose, and neutralizing the expression a bit. It might also be good to add some wrinkling to his forehead. Looking forward to adding the EMH to the collection.

View attachment 542102
I just noticed in these photos that Picardo has a more rounded head whereas the figure seems to have it a bit elongated.

Skillful sculptors and paintup artists can have this done. But bring those works into production is totally different story. Only a handful of painters know how to paint complete heads, the rest only know how to paint a certain parts on the head or one-step procedures. Artists take hours to finish one head, we need to finish hundreds of heads within hours.

I push work to higher level quality all the time, but I don't go for unreachable goals or unachievable objectives.

We have an EMH that has subtle animated expression. EMH should be available in the next couple of days.
We are looking forward to seeing him)) And getting him, too!

Back