EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All producers who got pissy and turned their back on collectors didn't do well afterwards and are gone or their companies are seen as a laughing stock.

Big Chief, Chronicle, NECA, Pop Culture Shock to name a few. All had people working for them that couldn't take criticism and split. I've been blocked on Twitter by that fool Randy from NECA asking about licences right when they first acquired the TMNT license. Look at them now, they're 99% Turtles and his ego has only exploded. He doesn't post on Twitter anymore either and his convention interviews are laced with jabs at fans who don't like what they are doing.

A good example of transparency and customer interaction is the guys at Premium Collectibles Studio on Facebook. They regularly answer any questions fans have, post updates about sculpts, edition sizes and change pieces based on feedback. So it is possible.
This is a little weird to me…maybe it’s social media / internet culture, but I still struggle with getting my head around the whole…”fans and customers are entitled to something from creators and businesses” mindset.
I may be old fashioned, but to me it’s all very simple and transactional…you make a product that I like…you are entitled to however much money that it costs me to acquire said product and then I am entitled to receive the product after I have paid you…and…that…is pretty much…it.

All producers who got pissy and turned their back on collectors didn't do well afterwards and are gone or their companies are seen as a laughing stock.

Big Chief, Chronicle, NECA, Pop Culture Shock to name a few. All had people working for them that couldn't take criticism and split. I've been blocked on Twitter by that fool Randy from NECA asking about licences right when they first acquired the TMNT license. Look at them now, they're 99% Turtles and his ego has only exploded. He doesn't post on Twitter anymore either and his convention interviews are laced with jabs at fans who don't like what they are doing.

I don’t know anything about the guy who runs NECA and I don’t care to, they are killing it with the Universal Monsters stuff. That’s good enough for me. I just follow the main NECA account and toy websites to keep up with new releases and what’s coming.

Maybe that’s the best answer. Stop following personal accounts of creators and just follow the main accounts. No drama that way.

I don’t know anything about the guy who runs NECA and I don’t care to, they are killing it with the Universal Monsters stuff. That’s good enough for me. I just follow the main NECA account and toy websites to keep up with new releases and what’s coming.

Maybe that’s the best answer. Stop following personal accounts of creators and just follow the main accounts. No drama that way.
It's not Randy Falk's personal account, tho. He's a jerk to people via the official NECA social media accounts.

This is a little weird to me…maybe it’s social media / internet culture, but I still struggle with getting my head around the whole…”fans and customers are entitled to something from creators and businesses” mindset.
I may be old fashioned, but to me it’s all very simple and transactional…you make a product that I like…you are entitled to however much money that it costs me to acquire said product and then I am entitled to receive the product after I have paid you…and…that…is pretty much…it.
Quite the radical notion you have there in this era of entitlement and self importance.
🫤

to me it’s all very simple and transactional…you make a product that I like…you are entitled to however much money that it costs me to acquire said product and then I am entitled to receive the product after I have paid you…and…that…is pretty much…it.
1679657657710.png

How quaint.... :)

Perhaps the ****** sales of Discovery figures will convince him that not many people care for the show. I see the figures in stock on almost every site. Regardless, everyone has an opinion and can like what they like. I just hope he doesn't take a hit producing figures from a show he likes but very few others do
Nanjin himself has said he personally likes Discovery, which is absolutely fine.
Also contractually he is required to make products from current Trek series.
I'm casual viewer of Disco, it has elements I like & more I don't. But no one can deny Saru is a superb looking figure

Perhaps the ****** sales of Discovery figures will convince him that not many people care for the show. I see the figures in stock on almost every site. Regardless, everyone has an opinion and can like what they like. I just hope he doesn't take a hit producing figures from a show he likes but very few others do
Discovery got him in the door with the license holders—a way to advance their current show. If it weren’t for Discovery, he may not have the license was my take put together from his rants/messages. Whether he likes the show or not,it opened doors to the other series’ characters.

It's not Randy Falk's personal account, tho. He's a jerk to people via the official NECA social media accounts.
Then don’t follow those accounts and just rely on sites like this or toy news sites.

Or don’t buy from the company.

Nanjin himself has said he personally likes Discovery, which is absolutely fine.
Also contractually he is required to make products from current Trek series.
I'm casual viewer of Disco, it has elements I like & more I don't. But no one can deny Saru is a superb looking figure
It's a great figure. Nanjin hit that one out of the park. But I have no interest in it because I have no interest whatsoever in Discovery.

While Discovery isn't my favourite Trek show, I still enjoy it.
When it comes to figures, we've got the two most essential so that's good. Outside of them, I'd hope we get a Georgiou, Lorca, Tilly, Book, Ash and Stamets. Maybe Culber. Some "would be nice" offerings would be L'Rell, Jet Reno, and Admiral Vance.

It's expected nowadays. I have my first novel coming out soon, and while my publisher plans to do the traditional interviews and book signing tour, they also expect me to do my own work with social media. I hate social media, but these days if you're not online, interacting with fans, it looks weird. But a lot people (Nanjin, the Neca guy, Jesse from Toybiz), it seems like maybe it would be better if they were interacting a bit less.

It's expected nowadays. I have my first novel coming out soon, and while my publisher plans to do the traditional interviews and book signing tour, they also expect me to do my own work with social media. I hate social media, but these days if you're not online, interacting with fans, it looks weird. But a lot people (Nanjin, the Neca guy, Jesse from Toybiz), it seems like maybe it would be better if they were interacting a bit less.
Interaction is great and I am all for it…but I jump off the train when it reaches the point of feeling like creators OWE their fans something…Being polite…thanking them for buying your book…all great…if they start telling you what to write and get mad when you don’t write it the way they want you to…well…Stephen King already covered that territory…I can’t imagine watching Misery and seeing the Kathy Bates character and thinking…well…she has a point…I mean she HAS been buying his books for years…

I only have his Spock from when he was with QMX. That being said, I would never interact with the fanbase if I were a full time figure or kit producer.

I would just make what I want, and people who want to buy it will, and those who won't (or can't) can sit around and scream at the great bird of the galaxy til they pass out.

You can't make everyone happy. Some people aren't happy with anything. They make medicine for that.

I've done freelance paintwork for smaller, indy figure producers for years. The ones who interact passionately with the fanbase, expecting everyone to share their enthusiasm and their vision, usually wind up quitting before they ever get started. The ones who just do what they want, to varying degrees of initial success, seem to flourish.

So if he has indeed gotten annoyed and vacated, it's entirely understandable. Life is too short to deal with irritation on something that is supposed to be a stress reliever. LLAP.

Not trying to get back to the drama, but here’s why I find it annoying. Nanjin put himself out there on Facebook and previously on here. If he doesn’t want any feedback or criticism (constructive or not) but is sharing with the community that’s kind of on him.

Maybe he needs to learn to not have a presence. Him leaving here was probably for the best. You can’t just expect everyone to blindly like every aspect of everything you do especially when working with a franchise with a large fanbase who are going to have thoughts and opinions.

He seems to more or less want people to be sheep who will blindly follow (or buy) anything he makes and we just shouldn’t question it.

Some folks ask why I ask what the edition size of a “Limited Edition” is. hmmmm. Curious how many of these Kirks Nanjins “friend” might have for “NOT the MSRP”

Attachments

• 6AB465A0-57B6-4EFB-918E-5E0F813B274F.jpeg
    6AB465A0-57B6-4EFB-918E-5E0F813B274F.jpeg
    809.1 KB · Views: 0
Not trying to get back to the drama, but here’s why I find it annoying. Nanjin put himself out there on Facebook and previously on here. If he doesn’t want any feedback or criticism (constructive or not) but is sharing with the community that’s kind of on him.

Maybe he needs to learn to not have a presence. Him leaving here was probably for the best. You can’t just expect everyone to blindly like every aspect of everything you do especially when working with a franchise with a large fanbase who are going to have thoughts and opinions.

He seems to more or less want people to be sheep who will blindly follow (or buy) anything he makes and we just shouldn’t question it.
But is a creator sharing their creation with a group that he or she imagined would be interested in the creation truly an invitation to receive criticism?
If someone requests criticism and then freaks out when they don’t like what they hear, then maybe they are being unreasonable…if someone simply shows their work and others offer unsolicited criticism then they are being obnoxious.
If my wife slaves away all day cooking Thanksgiving dinner and I invite you over to eat it and as soon as you are finished you start complaining about how dry the Turkey was, I’m asking you to leave…some here would say that if my wife doesn’t want her cooking criticized then we shouldn’t have invited you over for dinner…I would dispute that, however.

But is a creator sharing their creation with a group that he or she imagined would be interested in the creation truly an invitation to receive criticism?
If someone requests criticism and then freaks out when they don’t like what they hear, then maybe they are being unreasonable…if someone simply shows their work and others offer unsolicited criticism then they are being obnoxious.
If my wife slaves away all day cooking Thanksgiving dinner and I invite you over to eat it and as soon as you are finished you start complaining about how dry the Turkey was, I’m asking you to leave…some here would say that if my wife doesn’t want her cooking criticized then we shouldn’t have invited you over for dinner…I would dispute that, however.
Again, he’s dealing with a franchise that has a fanbase. People are going to have various opinions on how things look. If you put your work out there and expect not to get any feedback that’s pretty unrealistic.

Otherwise he should only have been sharing the final products for us to decide if we want to purchase or not.

Last edited:
Back