EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He seems to post the most random thoughts he gets all day long with the odd bit of actual news in there too.

I think he's in approval limbo right now which is why he spams my feed with reposts of Trek groups and the same old pictures.

He's right about one thing at least (in that post), he does have an attitude.
laughing-laugh.gif

Constructive criticism should be encouraged, not taken so personally, in the end you all want the same thing,, the best representation of beloved characters with a near perfect and quality item/ product.
He should listen to ALL opinions. Of course that's just my opinion :lol
Xx

Completely agree with what Green Goblin said about not giving it power, because let's face it: that's exactly the purpose for that FB post; just to stir [stuff].

But man, I gotta say: It's times like this I remind myself of what I said in another post: I collect these figures because I love Trek, not because I'm a fan of the guy behind their production. Early on, I decided to [Heck] with him and  his figures, and canceled my pre-orders. (He had quoted one of my posts here and replied with a laughing emoji.Nice attitudefor a businessman.) But my love of Trek prevailed, and I reinstated them. But continued comments like that on FB, the attitude of "I am Oz, the great and powerful. You lowly people are lucky I allow you to collect  my figures. I shall have figures that are mine and mine alone, yet you shall see and know about them. I shall allow only Trek Friends by my selection to have certain figures. I will release only characters at my discretion and possibly limit their production. Any criticism shall not be tolerated! Now give me your money and GO!"... well, it just makes it hard to continue with this.

Well - I CERTAINLY admire the man for his passion and his ability to build a company & a quality production team, but I don't admire posts that are infantile, uniformed, ignorant, misguided, and constitute a slight that is totally undeserved.

Nanjin making proclamations like this does his workforce no favours, and in fact, denigrates THEM (by association) at the same time it insults everyone here.
  • I get that some people can be less than tactful with suggestions - but then there is nothing tactful about his post (or some previous posts) either.
  • I get that he's under a lot of pressure, and it can be upsetting to have your baby criticised.
  • But don't lump everyone together - there is a difference between those who deserve disdain (from us ALL), and those who offer constructive criticism & praise.
Or to put it another way - what a silly thing to do ! :duh

He's right about one thing at least (in that post), he does have an attitude.
View attachment 627373
Constructive criticism should be encouraged, not taken so personally, in the end you all want the same thing,, the best representation of beloved characters with a near perfect and quality item/ product.
He should listen to ALL opinions. Of course that's just my opinion :lol
Xx
Agreed.

Constructive criticism is meant to help an individual, group, or company to better themselves or whatever they're working on. It shouldn't be taken personally. Those that do take it personally have, IMO, personal issues.

Well - I CERTAINLY admire the man for his passion and his ability to build a company & a quality production team, but I don't admire posts that are infantile, uniformed, ignorant, misguided, and constitute a slight that is totally undeserved.

Nanjin making proclamations like this does his workforce no favours, and in fact, denigrates THEM (by association) at the same time it insults everyone here.
  • I get that some people can be less than tactful with suggestions - but then there is nothing tactful about his post (or some previous posts) either.
  • I get that he's under a lot of pressure, and it can be upsetting to have your baby criticised.
  • But don't lump everyone together - there is a difference between those who deserve disdain (from us ALL), and those who offer constructive criticism & praise.
Or to put it another way - what a silly thing to do ! :duh

Think of the efficiency gains to be had if all that self berating FB time was spent in the design studio and production floor. ;)

Think of the efficiency gains to be had if all that self berating FB time was spent in the design studio and production floor. ;)
Lol. I suspect that, like me, he only uses Facebook outside of work hours. Also, it's amusing that people complaining about Nanjin complaining about them complaining about him seem to lack a sense of irony.

That said, it would also be naive to assume that complaints have zero impact on small companies' direction of travel. When your customer base is small, all feedback has value. I think it probably has less value if it's completely negative and phrased in a way that can be taken as a personal attack.

Also, there will be situations where they are aware and agree but logistical issues prevent them from doing anything. It must be frustrating to be the target of personal attacks for things that are out of their control.

Lol. I suspect that, like me, he only uses Facebook outside of work hours. Also, it's amusing that people complaining about Nanjin complaining about them complaining about him seem to lack a sense of irony.

That said, it would also be naive to assume that complaints have zero impact on small companies' direction of travel. When your customer base is small, all feedback has value. I think it probably has less value if it's completely negative and phrased in a way that can be taken as a personal attack.

Also, there will be situations where they are aware and agree but logistical issues prevent them from doing anything. It must be frustrating to be the target of personal attacks for things that are out of their control.
Unidentified_Shoretrooper.png

Sounds like you're a part of it.

I’ve never seen Hot Toys or almost any other 1/6 figure manufacturer ever announce the actual run size of any of their figure lines. The only specific exception I can think of off the top of my head is Asmus with their LOTR line a few years back. I don’t think it’s customary at all for ac1/6 producer to release those numbers.
Actually, it is quite normal for makers to mention the run size, or the edition numbers. Sideshow did it 20 years ago with almost all of their figures and statues and companies like Big Chief Studios still do it. I think it's optional, not an obligation of any sort, and seems to be more specifically done for advertising a niche collectible buy-in sort of experience. You'll see many collectible companies, even outside of toys like Franklin Mint, always announce the numbers of a run because buyers/collectors like to know how many of these limited editions were made and on the market to buy into.

I think what happened with 1:6 scale is that the production runs blew up with Hot Toys so we're not looking at numbers like 200-500 or 1500-7500, but much more than that. It doesn't appeal to the niche or collectible buyer mind to know there are a great many thousands on the market. In fact, probably urges some away from buying. It seems after Hot Toys became non-transparent (as they exceptionally are in all ways of their company) and hid their numbers due to over-saturation of the market every other maker followed along and did the same. They don't need to though because it is an optional gesture, not an industry standard practice. Sometimes it seems every maker tries to aspire to and model their company on Hot Toys and in the process loses its own identity. They shouldn't be afraid to release any information, like production runs, if it suits a business model desire for transparency with their customer base.

So run sizes are a great selling feature when you have a limited number to advertise, but not so much when you're selling mass market quantities that anyone can buy into.

It doesn't appeal to the niche or collectible buyer mind to know there are a great many thousands on the market.
Why? I never got that part of collecting. I don't care how many figures are out there. I am happy I got one for myself and all my friends can get one as well. How bad would I feel if only I got the Chakotay and all my fellow Robert Beltran fans would miss out on him? I could never post any pictures of him, feeling guilty all the time. So much better to celebrate the fun together.

I never bought a figure just to sell it later. I buy them since I am the one who wants them, I want to play with them and have fun.

Why? I never got that part of collecting. I don't care how many figures are out there.
It's just part of collecting anything and goes back decades and even centuries. Not my thing, but some collectors want rarity built into a purchase. Knowing there's only a few in the world and they have one, or speculating to sell it based on those numbers. I understand when it's a vintage antique with history behind it or some truly unique limited/special edition thing, but modern toy collectibles don't have that kind of allure for concerns of quantity. There's also no way to relativize numbers - if there's an edition size of 1500 should that feel like a lot or little? I don't know how many interested buyers there are compared to the number. I also don't like it when the toy makers tries to affect their product's desirability using those number games.

Last edited:
. . . Weird thing is, Nanjin has completely missed your point and the meaning. He doesn't understand . . .

I don't know what was posted back/forth this time, but that would be pretty much par for the course. For as long as I saw him posting here, that would happen.

I get the "ESL" thing - but if you are going to put yourself up front as regards communication with customers, you should try your best to understand what people are saying before posting yourself.

I also think he has a tendency towards stubbornness, and is a tad arrogant - attitudes that may occasionally help when building a workforce & product line, but they are not on resumes for those conducting quality customer interraction :)

Back