EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread isn't toxic. Nanjin just took things up wrong.

Threatening to leave is his decision too. But he'll lose a valuable resource: direct customer interaction.

No one should ever tip toe around these boards, it's a place for discussion and critique.

100% this :lecture

I admire Nanjin for his passion, professionalism, AND the fact he joins us here with updates & info.

BUT, this wouldn't be the first time he has misunderstood a post (or posts).

We are NOT toxic here by ANY means, and the post he called out was actually a reasonable one.

As was mentioned before - I think something gets lost in translation sometimes - if not words, then intent.

I'd like to make 2 additional points:
1st: maybe QMX has a contract with CBS for an x period of time, not allowing another company to make the same characters as they did. This would allow QMX to sell off their entire stock until another company is allowed to make the same characters. I'm mainly referring to TOS here.
2nd: I believe Nanjin loves TOS most of all Trek series out there. For people that have been following Exo-6 closely, you should have noticed that each figure improved on painting, packaging and a lot of other aspects. I also believe when the point comes that the TOS figures will be released, the team would be able achieve the best possible outcome. I believe that to be part of Nanjin's plan to bring us the best TOS figures out there.

Long story short: keep calm and wait patiently until it is the right time to release the TOS figures.

First off, i don’t like that the word “toxic” was co-opted for its current meaning in modern culture, but it is what it is. I also don’t find this forum toxic towards me.

That said, i think it’s the very definition of “toxic” for a bunch of folks with little or no experience producing 1/6 trek to give business advice (I’m not talking about artistic feedback on the actual released or teased products) to someone who has run two relevant businesses in the space.

Even more so when it’s fairly obvious that the “advice” is really just feelings that the toys they want aren’t being prioritized, but expressed as some sort of intellect, instead.

It’s absolutely considered toxic when folks feel entitled to talk “at” people as though they’re an authority, at the expense of other equally or more qualified people who aren’t part of the culture echo-chamber, so that they can feel safe or empowered.

It doesn’t bother me. I don’t know anything about running a 1/6 trek business. But I absolutely see why it’s toxic for Nanjin.

It would be refreshing, though, for people to just say,”Man, i really wish TOS Kirk was coming soon, that’s the one I want the most and I can’t wait to pose and display it!” instead of “I’m worried Nanjin will fail if he doesn’t take my advice to produce TOS figures now”

Agreed on all counts. If nothing else, just take a look on Facebook at what Nanjin said their biggest seller has been so far, by a country mile: Sisko. Which Nanjin said was a huge, huge surprise.

Actually he said Sisko is ahead of everyone except of Janeway ;) So she seems to be still the highest selling figure. But he may yet catch up.

Good post!

And here is one of those that will be gobbling up Enterprise figures! Funny, I'm not even through watching the show (in the middle of season 4) so had these figures come earlier, I might have skipped them. Now I am more than ready to finally have Archer in my hands!

Actually he said Sisko is ahead of everyone except of Janeway ;) So she seems to be still the highest selling figure. But he may yet catch up.

Good post!

And here is one of those that will be gobbling up Enterprise figures! Funny, I'm not even through watching the show (in the middle of season 4) so had these figures come earlier, I might have skipped them. Now I am more than ready to finally have Archer in my hands!
I read that differently. Sisko has the highest sales but the difference in numbers between him and Janeway is smaller then the difference between him and the other figures. So let's say Sisko sold 1500 figures and Janeway 1300 and the rest is at 700 figures each. Just to illustrate.

Good post!

…and Porthos 😉

Good post!

…I read that last line slightly differently 👀 🤣

100% this :lecture

I admire Nanjin for his passion, professionalism, AND the fact he joins us here with updates & info.

BUT, this wouldn't be the first time he has misunderstood a post (or posts).

We are NOT toxic here by ANY means, and the post he called out was actually a reasonable one.

As was mentioned before - I think something gets lost in translation sometimes - if not words, then intent.

This is a great point, but on thing that people should be aware of on this board (and others) is that if they're offering critique, they should be extra careful with how they phrase it because it's difficult to read tone over the internet.

Nanjin seems very open to constructive criticism (see how he scrapped his TMP Kirk outfit for a more accurate one after Chicago), but gets frustrated when people either critique with no goal, or critique the quality using a much more established producer or more expensive product as a reference point which is in my mind, fair enough. The Janeway facesculpt discussion a few pages back is a good example, with people taking a hobby repaint and using it to bash the produced figure for not being good enough.

With EXO-6, I count every figure that arrives as a blessing. For as much faith as I have in Nanjin and EXO-6, I don’t know that I’ll be here at the end of EXO-6’s journey, or next year, or tomorrow- who knows what’ll happen.

But today I have a Janeway figure! And the EMH! And Judge Q! Burnham! And Saru’s on the way! I’m thrilled with every release that I get in my hands; I never expected to see any of them. Would I have preferred to have Tuvok right after Janeway? Sure. Would I have loved to have TNG Picard and Data instead of First Contact? Maybe. Will I continue to petition Nanjin for Lower Decks figures?! Absolutely. But there’s no doubt for me, just how much I love the figures I already have.

I know that toy collecting is fraught with long waits and disappointments, missed exclusives and preorders on top of preorders. It’s not easy to watch other people get the characters they love while your wait seems to stretch on and on. It’s the nature of collecting figures, but EXO-6 has delivered time and time again. And I’m so grateful.

I’m all in support of criticism of figures (things are rarely perfect for everybody), but I can imagine how complaints about release order, or shipping slowdowns, or business decisions of EXO-6 can be grating not only for Nanjin but the rest of us who read these discussions.

Last edited:
....instead of “I’m worried Nanjin will fail if he doesn’t take my advice to produce TOS figures now”

I would suggest that the actual driving concern behind posts of that manner is less a lack of patience to wait the few years and more a "If Exo-6 fails as a business at some point I really hope that they have released those core figures before doing so".

The challenges faced by the business model and its future viability are points often mentioned here by Nanjin himself, so I can completely understand this concern.

I don't believe that those comments are driven by toxicity, more the fear of missing out now that the carrot has been dangled.

Last edited:
With EXO-6, I count every figure that arrives as a blessing. For as much faith as I have in Nanjin and EXO-6, I don’t know that I’ll be here at the end of EXO-6’s journey, or next year, or tomorrow- who knows what’ll happen.

But today I have a Janeway figure! And the EMH! And Judge Q! Burnham! And Saru’s on the way! I’m thrilled with every release that I get in my hands; I never expected to see any of them. Would I have preferred to have Tuvok right after Janeway? Sure. Would I have loved to have TNG Picard and Data instead of First Contact? Maybe. Will I continue to petition Nanjin for Lower Decks figures?! Undoubtedly. But there’s no doubt for me, just how much I love the figures I already have.

I know that toy collecting is fraught with long waits and disappointments, missed exclusives and preorders on top of preorders. It’s not easy to watch other people get the characters they love while your wait seems to stretch on and on. It’s the nature of collecting figures, but EXO-6 has delivered time and time again. And I’m so grateful.

I’m all in support of criticism of figures (things are rarely perfect for everybody), but I can imagine how complaints about release order, or shipping slowdowns, or business decisions of EXO-6 can be grating not only for Nanjin but the rest of us who read these discussions.
I agree with this sentiment. In general, I like the open conversation with praise and criticism alike. It's all valuable. My personal take on this venture is that anything at all that we get is icing on top of the sixth scale collectibles market. I don't expect to necessarily get all that I wish I had, so what I do get in-hand is cherished.

I'll admit, it's really hard waiting on TWOK figures because EXO-6 is the second company to display prototypes (f___ you QMX) and I'm worried these won't come out either.

That has NOTHING to do with Nanjin. He's gone way above and beyond what I thought possible, and is delivering amazing products. It's more that I've wanted high quality 1/6 scale of these for over 20 years. My worry is somehow I'm jinxing it.

Sorry Playmates, but the KB Toys exclusive doesn't cut it.

Yep, hard to believe we are on the cusp of getting amazing looking TWOK figures. It can be difficult to be patient! Like others, I’m grateful for Nanjin’s love and enthusiasm he’s putting into his venture.

I read that differently. Sisko has the highest sales but the difference in numbers between him and Janeway is smaller then the difference between him and the other figures. So let's say Sisko sold 1500 figures and Janeway 1300 and the rest is at 700 figures each. Just to illustrate.
Ah! I see it now. Way ahead of everyone else, but not so much ahead of Janeway. Got it (sorry, I am not a native English speaker)

Still, Janeway maintains the fastest selling out within 20 minutes. I was there at 6 PM on the dot to make sure I got one!

Being objective here since my actual interests in the line are limited and I only pop in here occasionally.

I think actual constructive criticism is very helpful; the kind brought forth by the majority of people here.

I don't think it's helpful to poke and prod him about time tables and tallies of what's been or getting released when and why and why not. Which is separate from casually asking when X might be released or revealed.

For someone that I believe is genuinely moving as fast - and faster - than the market, logistics, and global conditions allow, I can understand why it'd be upsetting to hear talk of not moving fast enough or wanting to get X out before the company might go belly up.

I'm not saying those people have that intention, but I think it's important to be cognizant of the fact that someone in charge of a company like this does not usually engage with customers on this level personally and to be a little more... tactful in certain ways. Which I believe most people here try to be, but I did see examples of some things that could be interpreted the wrong way.

So last week Nanjin alluded to someone “coming to take our lunch money” this week…do we think a pre order or Mirror Sulu almost being ready for shipping ?

So last week Nanjin alluded to someone “coming to take our lunch money” this week…do we think a pre order or Mirror Sulu almost being ready for shipping ?

I honestly have NO idea - but regardless - I STILL can't fathom the speed that Nanjin's staff are turning these around . . . without sacrificing quality :google . . . TOTALLY unheard of in the ENTIRE HISTORY of the collectables community
ACME_thud.gif

I honestly have NO idea - but regardless - I STILL can't fathom the speed that Nanjin's staff are turning these around . . . without sacrificing quality :google . . . TOTALLY unheard of in the ENTIRE HISTORY of the collectables community
ACME_thud.gif

This time will be used as a touchpoint in the future; e.g. 'They shipped pretty fast, I mean, not Nanjin fast, but still ... Remember when Nanjin figured out to "beam" figures out?o_O:LOL:(y)

I was thinking a new pre-order was being hinted at, but now I’m not sure. Maybe it is just Mirror Sulu is coming at us soon.

Back