EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You saw something I couldn't see? Tell me how to solve production leverage when TOS market is half filled. Will you buy the same figure as QMx for $230 with less items?

I do have a strategy to remedy QMx. Is to destroy QMx TOS and make them worthless so my version can replace them. You want me to do this? I don't mind, and it is the easiest way out and can maximize my profit.

When I consider for others. I will be blamed. This is Trek this is Fandom.

This platform is becoming toxic like every producers told me. Like they said, it was the fans that made them leave any forum or discussions and I would eventually stay away.

They are absolutely right.

This place starting to make me want to quit.. like both Mr Chan said, the conflict of interest between deceloper and collector there is no room in middle ground.

I hope my previous post was not taken as being "toxic". It was definitely not my intent and to be honest, I don't see much toxicity in the EXO-6 threads. What I do see is impatience, which is a good thing, in that collectors are anxious to order and receive their favorite figures from their favorite shows and movies. You've posted many times that the EXO-6 mission is a "5 year" mission and as previously mentioned by a collector, we are about 2 years into that mission without any representation of some of their favorite characters. You've also mentioned numerous times that your endeavor is a rather risky one, as you are not following the paths of other manufacturers. While we don't know your exact plan, we do trust your passion for Star Trek and thus far, we've been more than happy with the results.

I hope the above is again not taken as being toxic. It again is not my intent. Just about every collector that spends their time in these specific Star Trek threads do so because they share similar interests as you do, Nanjin, and they wish to have as complete of a collection as is possible. We are actually a tiny fraction of 1/6 Star Trek figure collectors here but quite vocal in our passion, as well. Personally, I'm blown away by some of the figures that you have recently teased. Pike in wheelchair and Kirk and Spock in dress uniforms?? Wow! Dreams come true for me!

Mirror Spock is already out
I’m sure you know I’m not talking about Spock. Although absolutely he is arguably the most iconic, if not a close second. And… “Mirror Spock” is not iconic. He is episode specific. Kirk is also the focus of the very episode.

I’m an old guy. I watched Star Trek in its original run on NBC. No need to call it TOS in my book. The others are spin-offs, sequels and prequels. I owned, played with and kept the very first GI Joes. No concept of ”collecting” to a five year old. I have collected various Star Trek things over the years and felt myself a very passionate fan of the show in its original run. Over the years viewership and fandom increased when the show was in syndication and conventions were cropping up. The show was cancelled in 1969. Seventeen years before TNG showed up. Of course the sequels and spin-offs were technologically superior and probably writing improved in many cases.
In the 1990s I started ”collecting” 12 inch action figures. Along came 21st Century Toys, Cotswold Elite Brigade and Dragon etc. etc. etc.
At this point my shelves are filled and my basement crowded. I don’t have room on my shelf for Burnham, Saru, Q, or EMH although they are beautifully done. To be honest I was also not going to spend QMX money on supporting characters and don’t expect to double up on the core three that I have from QMX.
A few years ago I saw Nanjin‘s custom TWOK figures. I was blown away and quite jealous of those who could afford them. I was then quite encouraged to see them photographed now as prototypes by QMX at the shows.
So …yeah … I’m waiting for that line . And once they start to appear ( if that ever happens) from QMX I don’t expect they will come one after the other.
I was also quite taken with TMP figs. But my expectation was they were going to be immediately released as an affordable set of two at that Chicago convention. I thought they were taking up room on the factory floor. ….plans changed. No longer a set. New expected release for Admiral Kirk—June or July. It’s August .

I’m sure you know I’m not talking about Spock. Although absolutely he is arguably the most iconic, if not a close second. And… “Mirror Spock” is not iconic. He is episode specific. Kirk is also the focus of the very episode.
Couple things:
1) I'd say mirror spock is pretty iconic. He birthed the concept of "Evil double with facial hair", after all.
2) You said yourself, you weren't necessarily planning to double-dip on TOS figures from QMX. You also said you don't want to spend on supporting characters. So, what is your problem right now, then? You're upset that the TMP figures were not ready for sale yet? That we don't already have TWOK figures? I genuinely can't understand what your complaint is, but if I'm reading it correctly, you seem annoyed that we aren't immediately getting inundated with multiple versions of Kirk. Which is not a good way to carry out a long-term business plan. And I'm not sure what your rush is, anyway. If your basement and shelves are already filled to the brim, why does it matter if you get TMP kirk now or in 6 months?
You said it yourself, you're an old guy. There are exponentially more series to cover across a fan base that spans more than half a century. I am relieved that Nanjin realizes this and we're not just getting TOS, and then whatever scraps are left over once the license is exhausted (A la QMX). Fact is, you don't get your TMP Kirk without the fan base to support a deep selection that includes Q, Saru, and the EMH.

To be honest I was also not going to spend QMX money on supporting characters and don’t expect to double up on the core three that I have from QMX.
A few years ago I saw Nanjin‘s custom TWOK figures. I was blown away and quite jealous of those who could afford them. I was then quite encouraged to see them photographed now as prototypes by QMX at the shows.
So …yeah … I’m waiting for that line . And once they start to appear ( if that ever happens) from QMX I don’t expect they will come one after the other.

You seem to be really out of touch with what's going on.

QmX has nothing to do with the Star Trek 1/6th line. They failed.

Exo-6 is the rights holder to all things Trek 1/6 now. It's their figures you've been seeing recently, not QmX.

The figures you want are coming. You need to be patient. There is a entire fandom who have been ignored for decades, that are finally getting figures from the shows they love. Exo-6 led by Nanjin are wisely servicing those fans first to support the entire Trek line, instead of burning out after a handful of figures like most other companies have done in the past because they started with ToS and TNG.

Hang in there. There are always gonna be people whining because you aren't doing things the way THEY want it done and when they want it. I too am waiting for TOS and TWOK (Plus TMP, you can put those up any time :) ), but you said you were doing them all, so I'll wait. Maybe just roll in here to announce new figures and don't engage so much. I'll be happy just to get the heads up

The figures are ready when they are ready. Some are in production, some are in development, some are just waiting for licensor approval or other administrative considerations. 7of9’s registry number is 001, and she only went up for preorder a month ago. I do not see the point in complaining about certain characters not being given priority. No one wants to rush any of this.

I've browsed fan forums since the days of dialing up AOL on my 2400 baud modem, and this is one of the least toxic forums I've seen in twenty five years.
Yeah I really don't understand that criticism either. There might be a few in here who are more demanding and impatient than others, and there might be the occasional comment about a likeness needing more work, but this place is still incredibly tame compared to any other sites or FB groups I frequent.

Which is pretty remarkable considering how ultra opinionated us Trek fans like to be. Lol

This thread isn't toxic. Nanjin just took things up wrong.

Threatening to leave is his decision too. But he'll lose a valuable resource: direct customer interaction.

No one should ever tip toe around these boards, it's a place for discussion and critique.

Last edited:
This thread isn't toxic. Nanjin just took things up wrong.

Threatening to leave is his decision too. But he'll lose a valuable resource: direct customer interaction.

No one should ever tip toe around these boards, it's a place for discussion and critique.

Or perhaps someone did say something wrong. This board isn't the most friendliest of places sometimes, especially if you have a opinion that is different then the groups.

He also has other resources such as Facebook where he also has direct and more active customer interaction.

As long as discussions and critiques are civil and constructive there's nothing wrong with dissenting opinions.

I haven't noticed anything overtly uncivil or argumentative in the Trek threads for a while.

A recurring issue is a failure of comprehension, where the intent of some posts are misunderstood and taken the wrong way, leaving the poster scratching their head and wondering what they did wrong.

To all who responded to my previous commentary.
I don’t really have a right to a complaint.
Its not my buisiness. I’m not a share holder. And I wish no one anything but the best of luck with their buisiness endeavors.
Nanjin will conduct his buisiness as he ( and paramount) see fit.

I am however anxious as to the release times and the feasibility of a ”risky” buisiness like this to get what has been proposed to be produced in what was originally proposed to be a timely fashion. Some of you are “confident” that it WILL be done. I sure hope so for those aforementioned characters.
I WILL absolutely stick to the position that Kirk and Spock are the original and MOST iconic characters in the franchise.

( and I do know that QMX is not the current license holder for 1/6 Trek 🤷. So I don’t get that point)

( and I do know that QMX is not the current license holder for 1/6 Trek 🤷. So I don’t get that point)

This line from your previous post indicates otherwise. So …yeah … I’m waiting for that line . And once they start to appear ( if that ever happens) from QMX I don’t expect they will come one after the other.

Perhaps you meant Exo-6, but you typed QmX?

I WILL absolutely stick to the position that Kirk and Spock are the original and MOST iconic characters in the franchise.
That may be so, but the hunger for merch is much less. The market has been flooded with Kirk and Spock in various forms over the decades. Compare that with VOY, a show that has a substantial fanbase but hasn’t had any decent merch since the show’s debut in the 90s. It makes perfect sense to get those moneymakers out sooner than later.

But I hear ya. The wait for TMP and TWOK Kirk and Spock is a hard one, but I’m confident it is necessary.

That may be so, but the hunger for merch is much less. The market has been flooded with Kirk and Spock in various forms over the decades. Compare that with VOY, a show that has a substantial fanbase but hasn’t had any decent merch since the show’s debut in the 90s. It makes perfect sense to get those moneymakers out sooner than later.

But I hear ya. The wait for TMP and TWOK Kirk and Spock is a hard one, but I’m confident it is necessary.

Agreed on all counts. If nothing else, just take a look on Facebook at what Nanjin said their biggest seller has been so far, by a country mile: Sisko. Which Nanjin said was a huge, huge surprise.
It just goes to show that you can't necessarily predict what will and will not be popular. Just because overall culture dictates that Kirk and Spock "should" be the Icons, that doesn't mean they are. There's a whole generation of fans who grew up on later shows that didn't have a fraction of the merchandise that Kirk and Spock always got. I was always disappointed, as a kid in the mid-90's, that all the Trek stuff I could buy was TOS. No TNG, and especially no DS9. And I'd never even WATCHED TOS, aside from the films. Lotsa people like that these days.
I imagine when Archer and other Enterprise figures start coming out, we'll see a surprising amount of fans coming out of the woodwork to gobble them up. People that loved Archer, T'Pol, Shran, and so on. Hell, I wasn't a huge fan myself but I have a real soft spot for Reed.
I mean, look at how excited people are about Kruge. Kruge, for God's sake, who was basically a trivia question for years (Hey, did you know Doc Brown once played a Klingon?!?).
Each series has its die-hard fans. Anyone who's been on message boards since the mid-90's can attest to that. DS9 and VOY had a hell of a rivalry, for instance. TOS fans were angry that TNG killed off Kirk. And some serious battle lines have been drawn over which of the new series are the best, as well.
So you can't rely on what is traditionally considered iconic. You have to appeal to the whole fan base.

Or perhaps someone did say something wrong. This board isn't the most friendliest of places sometimes, especially if you have a opinion that is different then the groups.

He also has other resources such as Facebook where he also has direct and more active customer interaction.
Facebook is full of asskissers who would buy a turd if it came with a commbadge.

This board can be healthy to point out flaws that will ultimately give a better final product.

Facebook is full of asskissers who would buy a turd if it came with a commbadge.

This board can be healthy to point out flaws that will ultimately give a better final product.
What you just said about Facebook can be applied here too. And what you said about here can be applied to Facebook.

Given how many people declared early on that they were only interested in "completing the TOS line from QMX", I think Nanjin was totally right to be concerned and want to focus on other series and movies first. As the last thing he can afford is for people to skip on a new Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty and Sulu because they're already content with the QMX versions.

So as much as I really want to see those TOS figures too, it shouldn't be any kind of surprise as to why they're being held back.

Back