EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All that money and resources and near carte blanche to make almost any kind of Star Trek show and two seasons of generic, dreary science fiction schlock with some Star Trek trappings is the best they could do.

Season 1 had no clear plan. Season 2 felt like a bad game of telephone where someone handed off each episode to a different person. It says everything that they’re willing to jettison most of any plot threads and new characters for Season 3.

Everything is miserable. It all looks cheap. No one has personality, just generational/personal trauma and angst for the sake of drama.

We went through all that and what are we left with as far as adding to the universe? Picard is a robot, Q is dead, Data is super dead, a bunch of other characters are dead, Seven is miserable and got blocked from Starfleet, Riker never made it to admiral, Mars got wrecked, Utopia Planitia is gone, Starfleet has a million Inquiry class ships, the Federation was okay with android slavery, and the Borg is… I don’t know, Agnes? I guess?

What a waste. I can’t wait to see who dies in Season 3.

The only thing that would redeem the show is if Picard Season 1 and 2 were the cause of the Temporal Cold War because someone wanted to erase everything that happened in the show from the timeline.
Very well stated. When I watch the new stuff, It feels almost like Kurtzman and Goldsmith have contempt for the original shows, the characters and lore. There is definitely a deconstructionist vibe to the shows.

So, let me get this straight. TAS is NOT “ Cannon” , but Discovery is ?
The JJ Abrams KTL films are NOT “Cannon” ?
The JJ Abrams KTL films are a “reboot” ?
SNW IS “Cannon” and NOT a “reboot” ?

With all of the discrepancies between the older Star Trek and newer Star Trek, canon is what I personally think it is, NOT what show runners like Alex Kurtzman and company say it is. I consider TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT as canon because they all tie-in visually and otherwise -- those older show's creators and writers respect Star Trek canon.
I don't consider anything from JJ Abrams or Kurtzman as canon because those guys don't respect Star Trek canon, it's just that simple. They are alternate timelines all to themselves.

Cannon
1652720211178.png

I remember seeing Patrick Stewart walk out on that stage announcing that “Jean Luc Picard is back!” – a very exciting moment with endless possibilities to revive one of the most beloved television shows of all time…now I wish it never happened and that the TNG story has just concluded with Nemesis.

I don’t know why Stewart was willing to tear down his character like this, what a mistake that was and they couldn’t have created a more dislikable support cast if they tried, e.g. Raffi, Agnus, Dajh… who cares about these people?

With all of the discrepancies between the older Star Trek and newer Star Trek, canon is what I personally think it is, NOT what show runners like Alex Kurtzman and company say it is. I consider TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT as canon because they all tie-in visually and otherwise -- those older show's creators and writers respect Star Trek canon.
I don't consider anything from JJ Abrams or Kurtzman as canon because those guys don't respect Star Trek canon, it's just that simple. They are alternate timelines all to themselves.
What’s really funny is folks who actually believe that their opinions are objective facts…
There is a little irony to it, in fact.
I think that the new Trek shows have TREMENDOUS reverence for the Star Trek canon and the history of the series…apparently Patrick Stewart, the rest of the TNG cast, and countless others all agree which is why the shows keep getting made.
It must be frustrating to know that there are many LIFELONG Star Trek fans who LOVE all of the new Trek content. There are tons of us. We just quietly enjoy it without going on all the time about how much we like it, so it’s easy to fall into your own echo chamber and mistakenly imagine that your opinions are shared by everybody. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I remember seeing Patrick Stewart walk out on that stage announcing that “Jean Luc Picard is back!” – a very exciting moment with endless possibilities to revive one of the most beloved television shows of all time…now I wish it never happened and that the TNG story has just concluded with Nemesis.

I don’t know why Stewart was willing to tear down his character like this, what a mistake that was and they couldn’t have created a more dislikable support cast if they tried, e.g. Raffi, Agnus, Dajh… who cares about these people?

If you really want to be depressed, check out the analytics data: Google Trends: "Star Trek" 2004-2022

Each "new trek" release has been met with less and less engagement, to the point where search interest in Star Trek right now is LESS THAN in 2004. That's right, with 4 series in active development and advertising campaigns across multiple platforms and mediums, online engagement in Star Trek is now LOWER than in 2004, two years after Nemesis left theaters.

"Oh tater squad, surely you must be wrong! They wouldn't keep funding new trek if engagement was this poor!" Ah, dear viewer, you misunderstand the content-factory investor landscape. For example, the ENTIRE CW network has been unprofitable since day one. Yes, that's right, the entire CW network has never turned a profit once, and yet it has operated since 2006. CW Network Unprofitable Since Launch in 2006

If you really want to be depressed, check out the analytics data: Google Trends: "Star Trek" 2004-2022

Each "new trek" release has been met with less and less engagement, to the point where search interest in Star Trek right now is LESS THAN in 2004. That's right, with 4 series in active development and advertising campaigns across multiple platforms and mediums, online engagement in Star Trek is now LOWER than in 2004, two years after Nemesis left theaters.

"Oh tater squad, surely you must be wrong! They wouldn't keep funding new trek if engagement was this poor!" Ah, dear viewer, you misunderstand the content-factory investor landscape. For example, the ENTIRE CW network has been unprofitable since day one. Yes, that's right, the entire CW network has never turned a profit once, and yet it has operated since 2006. CW Network Unprofitable Since Launch in 2006
Yep…personally I don’t care who else is watching it…the only way that affects me is if the low viewership makes them stop producing shows. But if they’re going to keep making them anyway, what the heck difference does it make to me what anyone else is or isn’t watching…as long as every week there is a new episode of this excellent Star Trek programming for me and my wife to enjoy…I could not care less about profits, viewership, or much of anything else…doesn’t go into my pockets, I just want to watch Star Trek! :LOL:

As long as they keep making Lower Decks, I'm good. I could do without the rest. I haven't seen SNW yet, but I reached a point where all I actually want to see from that show is a live-action Caitian (preferably M'Ress) who moves and speaks (even if it's just one line), and I guess I don't really give a **** about the rest of any of it.

Back