EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get the impression that based on his progress to-date we'll never have to worry about a figure being up for pre-order every other week. But feel free to prove me wrong, Nanjin.
True. Part of me wonders if the five year mission is actually realistic to be honest. We’re already two years and almost a month in and don’t have one full crew yet.

I'm pretty sure that "five year mission" is going to get stretched out a bit longer. Even if he's got most of the sculpts done for TOS, TNG, DS9 and ENT, it's still going to take a while for the factories to produce and crank out all those figures. And there's still TUC, SNW, and Kelvin to fit in there somehow.

Nanjin is talking his goal is to have a new figure up for pre-order every two weeks to complete his five year mission.

I’ve always kind of hate that approach of moving things along so fast and being forced to pick and choose. If that’s indeed where things are headed there’s going to come a time where some figures will need to be passed over.

Hopefully there’s enough time between TOS and TNG releases to balance getting at least those two crews for my wants.

True. Part of me wonders if the five year mission is actually realistic to be honest. We’re already two years and almost a month in and don’t have one full crew yet.
This is what he actually said - he’s wanting to turn his 5 year mission into a 4 year mission.
60886B2B-8177-4E3D-B220-8542595FB6B5.jpeg

I'm really looking forward to the end of the CNY break, so all the posturing can finally have some productivity to back it up. ;P

As a global logistics professional, I think 5 years is an extremely ambitious timeline to get that many figures out of any one company, especially when looking at the past 3.

That said, I absolutely want everything to turn out as he promises and more... and I could not be more relieved that he's front-loading so many of my favourites in the meantime. :)

I'm pretty sure that "five year mission" is going to get stretched out a bit longer. Even if he's got most of the sculpts done for TOS, TNG, DS9 and ENT, it's still going to take a while for the factories to produce and crank out all those figures. And there's still TUC, SNW, and Kelvin to fit in there somehow.
I don’t see how it doesn’t get stretched out further. He may not want it to but I question how realistic it is when there are so many characters to do and he’s barely scratched the surface of anything aside from VOY.

Even VOY which is closest to completion still has what, four characters left that aren’t available to pre-order yet. Two on the way with Seven and Chakotay.

This is year 3 of his 5 year mission, and it doesn't seem likely that he will finish everything spanning the first 5 shows and the movie series, let alone the Kelvin stuff and the Paramount+ shows. Seems like he loses a lot of time waiting for the figures to be approved by licensing. Either Nanjin extends his stay at Exo-6 or he leaves to do the school he talks about and delegates his Exo-6 responsibilities to someone else.

I don’t see how it doesn’t get stretched out further. He may not want it to but I question how realistic it is when there are so many characters to do and he’s barely scratched the surface of anything aside from VOY.

Even VOY which is closest to completion still has what, four characters left that aren’t available to pre-order yet. Two on the way with Seven and Chakotay.

I suppose another explanation (that I haven't seen mentioned here before) is that he's trying to have everything up for pre-order within 5 (or 4) years, but the actual production & delivery will continue after that.

THAT
would seem more achievable & realistic at this point in the game.

Wonder if his contract is worded in such a way that would allow this.

I suppose another explanation (that I haven't seen mentioned here before) is that he's trying to have everything up for pre-order within 5 (or 4) years, but the actual production & delivery will continue after that.

THAT
would seem more achievable & realistic at this point in the game.

Wonder if his contract is worded in such a way that would allow this.

In terms of his contract I wonder if that’s just a him thing and he thinks it’s cute to call it a five year mission because of TOS. He may also be personally ready to be done at that point.

I can’t imagine Paramount/CBS is going to oppose merchandise being made which is going to generate them some revenue.

The big factor Nanjin brings to the table is that he pushes for characters that may not happen otherwise.

I feel like if the line is successful even if he leaves it could continue on without him. I don’t think EXO-6 lives and dies with him. He’s just the creative input for Trek but someone else could fill that role I’m sure.

He’s vaguely alluded to what may happen to the company after he’s done but it doesn’t sound like they’ll necessarily just close up shop.

To be honest, I've learned to ignore the confusing rhetoric and just follow the pre-release photos being shared. I truly hope we can eventually complete our collections, whichever series or film we prefer to collect. I do understand that it can be frustrating to not see some of the lines not getting the attention that we particularly wish for.

Ive always viewed the 5 year mission thing as a cute little marketing ploy.
I don't think we'll see production stop until it's literally not economically viable any longer.
But Nanjin sure does know how to chum the water in the mean time.

It’s not anything contractual, he’s flat out said the licence owners want him to produce figures for as long as possible but it’s his plan to give it a time limit and/or he says that a 1/6 Trek only company can only survive for about that long due to the small audience.

It’s not anything contractual, he’s flat out said the licence owners want him to produce figures for as long as possible but it’s his plan to give it a time limit and/or he says that a 1/6 Trek only company can only survive for about that long due to the small audience.
Ok the flip side there are 5 Trek shows on right now with possibly the movies coming back. And there is not much Trek merchandise currently for collectors. If they can market a little bit better, imo the company can easily support on Trek alone.

A new pre-order every two weeks, wouldn’t that be something. I’m definitely in favour of seeing that pace if it’s sustainable, they’ll be something for everyone.

Ok the flip side there are 5 Trek shows on right now with possibly the movies coming back. And there is not much Trek merchandise currently for collectors. If they can market a little bit better, imo the company can easily support on Trek alone.
The “on again, off again” saga with Star Trek 4 makes me believe that the franchise is going to be limited to the small screen for the foreseeable future. Jonathan Frakes recently stated that as well, they can’t seem to get things off the ground.

Back