EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve loved every sculpt in hand. There’s lot of subtle details that don’t come across all that well in photos. The only thing that I think needs improving, and it’s a small thing is the hair sculpting. Just lacks the fine details that would make the figures 100% awesome. *please don’t hate me Nanjin for saying that*. Hahah

Janeway was 189.99 the Wasp 251.99. Wasp had 2 heads, a lightup feature and pretty complicated wings. I'd say that's pretty compatible and certainly not a "fraction" of the price unless that fraction is 9/10th. That being said Exo-6 is very reasonably priced and has managed to keep costs pretty even as HT seem to be increasing. I am really not impressed with the Burnham sculpt. The Q and Sisko sculpts do look like quite an improvement though. For the record as I've already stated I REALLY like the Janeway figure. Even if the sculpt is soft they're nothing glaringly off and it screams Janeway to me. The thing about Ex0-6 that amazes me the most ( outside of Nanjin's dedication ) is they're turn around time. It's nothing short of amazing. Every 1/6 company could learn from them.

I ordered Wasp for $251 in 2020.
Scarlet Witch for $275 1 year later, the same year I ordered Janeway.
Moon Knight for $285 the next year. The last HOt Toy I've preordered, due to the price increase.
The just-released Purge Trooper is $235. It has one extra set of hands and a rifle.

So we get Janeway, a female with a tailored uniform, multiple accessories and hands, and an actual facial sculpt (Which neither Moonie or the Trooper have, BTW).

So, I'll stand by my fraction of the price. You get MORE for LESS. Not that I want to be argumentative. I just wanted to highlight why I said "fraction of the cost".

BTW, most of the time no one uses the light-up feature. They're often a pain to turn on, and even more of a pain to change out the batteries. I was thrilled when Nanjin said the Borg alcove would have a USB cord. Finally, a light-up feature I'll use!

I don't really think the Janeway sculpt itself was soft, just the paint job. I only had to tweak a few details and darken up the eyeliner in order to bring out the likeness more.
Do you have a before and after?

I ordered Wasp for $251 in 2020.
Scarlet Witch for $275 1 year later, the same year I ordered Janeway.
Moon Knight for $285 the next year. The last HOt Toy I've preordered, due to the price increase.
The just-released Purge Trooper is $235. It has one extra set of hands and a rifle.

So we get Janeway, a female with a tailored uniform, multiple accessories and hands, and an actual facial sculpt (Which neither Moonie or the Trooper have, BTW).

So, I'll stand by my fraction of the price. You get MORE for LESS. Not that I want to be argumentative. I just wanted to highlight why I said "fraction of the cost".

BTW, most of the time no one uses the light-up feature. They're often a pain to turn on, and even more of a pain to change out the batteries. I was thrilled when Nanjin said the Borg alcove would have a USB cord. Finally, a light-up feature I'll use!
I’m not sure I’m going to agree to the “more for less part” but I am definitely going to concede that the “fraction of the cost“ argument is much stronger given current pricing. I’m pretty sure I even pointed that out n my original reply that Exo has managed to keep costs down while HT has gotten to the point that I am starting to get really picky as to what I pick up. While I agree with your point on the light up feature it still adds cost and people don’t use it could be applied to any accessories you don‘t use. I’ve got TONS of boxes with pieces in them I’ll never use.

For the record I don’t think you’re being argumentative at all. I view it as a discussion with another collector. I’m always open to that….even, God forbid, willing to have my mind change….lol….from time to time…..

Yep, at one point he was teased with the first hairstyle. I do prefer T’Pol in the later seasons so I’m completely fine with a mid-series Archer (though in this picture he looks fantastic!)

View attachment 586363

He does look fantastic! In fact, seeing his first pictures made me actually sit down and start to watch Enterprise for the first time, as I needed to find out whether or not I needed to buy him. I was just starting to get into Scott Bakula at the time and watching Quantum Leap also for the first time.

Silly me. How could I even doubt it.

So that was the Archer I knew at the time and when the other sculpt first was shown it looked odd to me. But I was just unfamiliar with it.

I just finished watching season 3 yesterday, and now that I have seen the scruffier Jon "in action" and know the story behind it, I am absolutely fine with the new hair.

No complaints from me. Only that I want him on my shelf rather sooner than later! ;)

As for T'Pol, I think I'd also prefer the blue suit. It is a nice color.

*Sigh*

I assume this will be an unpopular post, so I want to start off with some context.

I have always loved Star Trek. From the run-runs of TOS when I was a kid, all the way through TNG, all the movies, to Discovery and SNW.

One of the most powerful ways I connect with these shows is to own a piece of them through collecting. I was beyond excited when Nanjin headed up the production team at QMX and began producing high quality sixthscale for my beloved Trek.

And while some could argue that the QMX offerings were not perfect (lack of custom bodies by individual figure is probably the best example) they were still awesome to collect because the head sculpts were almost all very strong.

Enter EXO-6

Great customized bodies, next level attention to detail in the accessories, the best wardrobe tailoring I think I’ve ever seen in sixthscale. Incredible.

But the head sculpts

I’m sorry, but they are just not good enough.

All those other amazing items are very important in creating a top tier 1/6 figure. But (for me anyway, and I can’t believe I’m alone in this) the single most important element that MUST be there for a worthy top shelf release is a jaw dropping sculpt, and EXO is just not there.

I really like their Data release, but not really interested in collecting First Contact. I loved the movie, and I assume there might still be a non-compete something or other that won’t allow EXO to repeat QMX releases (or maybe just good business sense not to launch a new company by offering figures a high percentage of the target audience already owns) but either way, I knew I didn’t want to invest in a FC line up right away and with my TOS and TNG collection woefully incomplete.

But other than Data, (and with a few other possible exceptions) I have found the sculpts soft and unconvincing.

The best example here is Janeway. She is definitely recognizable, but her features look melted to me, and the hair looks like something a baker would create using frosting as the media to make a Voyager tribute cake for a fan’ 9th birthday party.

Anyway, some are definitely better than others, but as a line, I’ve found myself often hovering my finger over the Add to Cart button at both Sideshow and EXO direct, but just can’t make myself pull the trigger because all in all, the EXO figures are just not there……yet.

I still remain hopeful that later lines and later releases get me there. The STTMP figures look pretty damn good, and the TWOK could be a game changer, and I wish Nanjin and the company only massive success.

So for me, EXO is an optimistic work in progress. Not ready for me yet, but hopefully soon!
Respectful observations which align closely with my own assessment. And for those who are criticising the lack of in hand experience, I have purchased every figure to date and his assessment is no less accurate IMO. Nothing changed—maybe even less positive in hand than impressions from videos. Have seen progress and will continue to support EXO-6 with my wallet. However, still a ways to go to be exceptional in the HS department. Eagerly awaiting Q as a possible turning point in this regard.

I just finished watching season 3 yesterday, and now that I have seen the scruffier Jon "in action" and know the story behind it, I am absolutely fine with the new hair.
You’re in for a real treat with Season 4, but afterwards you’ll realize the fun is over and will have ENT withdrawals. :cry:

You’re in for a real treat with Season 4, but afterwards you’ll realize the fun is over and will have ENT withdrawals. :cry:
I watched the first season of Enterprise, was disappointed with it and stopped watching about halfway thru season 2. Never saw season 3. Then got back into it with season 4, loved it, and was heartbroken when they cancelled it.

Season 4 is what it should have been from the start, really.

I may have ENT withdrawals, but certainly no Scott withdrawals! Still lots of other movies and series to watch with him. Seven seasons of NCIS alone! So that will take a while yet.

I watched the first season of Enterprise, was disappointed with it and stopped watching about halfway thru season 2. Never saw season 3. Then got back into it with season 4, loved it, and was heartbroken when they cancelled it.

Season 4 is what it should have been from the start, really.
I never could passed the theme song and ended up not watching ENT until its on Blu-ray.

I never could passed the theme song and ended up not watching ENT until its on Blu-ray.
I had a friend who felt the exact same way. We all sat down to watch the premiere together. Then the music hit, and he got up and said "Nope. I'm out."

Do you have a before and after?
Yeah I posted it on here a while ago, but here you go

20211129_20032r0 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Back