EXO-6 Star Trek "Discovery" figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All fair points. DS9, TNG, and VOY all also changed showrunners and overturned the writing staff during their runs as well. My point was just that it was happening. Not that it meant anything.

There is ONE wild shift in style IMHO with regard to DSC, and that's how they dealt with the Klingons at the beginning. It definitely felt like the intent was to show the war from both sides and that the Klingon characters were going to be main characters as much as the DSC crew was - at least, that's how it felt in the first few episodes. Which was different from what we've seen before - we usually see things mainly through the eyes of our Starfleet crew, with minor changes here and there. The whole setup of DSC, where we saw a lot of the political infighting within the Klingon houses, the torchbearer, all that stuff - we wouldn't have seen that on another show.

And we didn't see it again after those first few episodes either.

With that said, that's the only real shift in style I can think of. Michael's character has completely changed over the course of the show, but that's to be expected as a show grows (she went from struggling with her Vulcan upbringing and her emotions to...well, just being emotional and pretty much ignoring all of that).

The jump to the future may not be stylistically different - it still feels like the same show - but it definitely changes the narrative completely, enough that I'd call it a soft reboot, considering that it appears that they intend to stay in this new normal - adding Book and Adira, Book's ship, the new Federation, etc.

Changing the subject, I know most don't agree with me on this - but man, VOY season two was really great, with the recurring minor characters, Hogan, Seska, Jonas, Suder - then they just said eff it, let's kill them all and make it the Seven of Nine show. UGH. Such promise wasted...

When DISCO was still in the beginning stages after Fuller left, I remember reading that it was going to be kind of Game of Thrones like with the Klingons, and we would see more of them. I agree that it all felt thrown to the side shortly after the beginning. I think some of the fan backlash played into that. Hardly anyone liked the redesign, nor did they like having to read the subtitles. I didn't mind either, but I'm pretty easy going on changes, I just want a good story and to be entertained.

I'm rewatching Voyager and just finished season 3. It is ALOT better then I remembered. And yes when they had a lot of secondary character ala DS9 I felt the show was better. Those secondary characters helped show the tension I was talking about between forced to work together Maquis and Starfleet crews. I wanted more of that. I wanted to really see these two crews adapt to each other, not have all the tension and drama go away in a snap.

I thought Seven was a fantastic addition to VOY, but yeah they definitely relied far too heavily on her for stories at the end, at the expense of nearly every other character.

You summed up how I felt about her too. Great character, but they sacrificed everyone else's story that wasn't a Captain or a Doctor.

Sure is nice to find people with the same viewpoint :)

I honestly don't even think it was Seven per se that was the problem. It was Brannon Braga becoming showrunner and Michael Piller leaving (yeah, Jeri Taylor was in there too, but I have issues with her - she was the one who apparently pushed to kill off all those secondary characters and preferred the outdated episodic format rather than one with some character development). Brannon is just obsessed with the Borg in any of it's forms, and will throw in a Borg episode every chance he gets. End result? Seven overkill.

My sentiments exactly. EXO-6 needs to find a sculptor that can accurately render female heads. Burnham and Janeway, 2 of my fave Star Trek characters, are both a no-go for me due to the head sculpt
Couldn’t agree more. Too soft. Level of detail and shading is what is found on smaller action figures which arent’ expected to have subtler tones and textures. Almost cartoonish in simplicity. Clothing is superb but most companies have come a long way in that regard. Sculpt and paint is the difference between mid-level and top shelf.

Considering so far the figures have always been better in hand (including Janeway). Then what we’ve seen in pictures, I think Exo6 should keep going on just the way they have been, then listening to a couple of guys on a forum looking at pictures.

I too thought Janeway was soft in sculpt & paint app, judging from the promo photos....how wrong I was Janeway is nicely detailed with a subtle paint application. In hand I have not one complaint with Janeway. EXO-6 carry on the great work

Same here. It’s not like we’re talking Barbie. It’s detailed enough; I suppose Exo had to be careful not to push it too far. It captures a likeness and stands well on its own. Who knows, maybe additional heads with alt hair etc will be an accessory option in future.

Agreed, the paint does look better in hand, although it it still fairly soft looking (and very pale) compared to many of my other female figures, so think I might try adding some more detail and layers at some point.

It's definitely not as strong as Data and Picard in hand, but it's far from bad. The sculpt is slightly off, but it's the paint apps that could be a little stronger. They're a little soft and a touch too "pretty." There are some subtleties to the paint apps, but I think they need to be exaggerated to look more "real world."

Wow. That Disco episode felt so much like traditional Trek, and man, was it a kick in the pants. It gave me all the feels. I hope EXO puts the gas on for a Tilly figure, she is just fantastic.

1) I am obligated to do X% of production for new Trek
2) I like all new Trek(s)
3) I like Michael Burnham. I paralleled myself with her road to being a captain. Tried to protect something and end up in jail, then the environment changed. Took risks and carried everything with her to another timeline, a total sacrafice. Then she need to rebuild Starfleet and the Federation. Just like 1/6 Trek, I had to remotely rebuild the connection that I had in China so 1/6 Trek (Starfleet) could continue.

I hope it doesn't feel too much like an obligation. There may not be many fans here on this site, but I'm sure there are still a lot of us out there who are looking forward to owning figures from the show. Especially when they look as good as these protos do.
Nope, I don't feel obligated to make DSC. I produce all Trek except TAS. But achieving nominal pricing like others uniform figures with DSC will be difficult. Their have lots more parts and the parts require lots more work than other ones. I never worry about the Minimun Garantee for Classic Trek but I have zero idea how new Trek will do.

I am happy with how Burnham and Saru turns out.

I have yet to see any of the new Trek not having the steaming service and being extremely busy makes it all but impossible to start. Really want to watch Picard and the New Worlds some day at least. From the pictures the figures look great. They look so good that I am actually tempted to get them without having seen the series. I have to keep reminding myself that I cannot be a completist with EXO Trek.

Nope, I don't feel obligated to make DSC. I produce all Trek except TAS. But achieving nominal pricing like others uniform figures with DSC will be difficult. Their have lots more parts and the parts require lots more work than other ones. I never worry about the Minimun Garantee for Classic Trek but I have zero idea how new Trek will do.

Yeah I can understand that. I wonder which outfit has more parts, the DSC uniform or TWOK landing party jacket?

Though I’m not a fan of DSC, when I saw the display pictures of Saru at Mission Chicago I was amazed by the likeness to the on screen character. You’ve really nailed the alien likeness that we’ve seen to date (Quark, Kruge, Saru, etc). The detail on their facial features is so precise.

@nanjin, do you think another FC Picard and Data production run is likely or has the ship sailed? Thank you.

Though I’m not a fan of DSC, when I saw the display pictures of Saru at Mission Chicago I was amazed by the likeness to the on screen character. You’ve really nailed the alien likeness that we’ve seen to date (Quark, Kruge, Saru, etc). The detail on their facial features is so precise.

@nanjin, do you think another FC Picard and Data production run is likely or has the ship sailed? Thank you.
We used Saru's 3D scan and converted to sculptable 3D file for refinements. We mainly oy did the detailing and paintup for Saru.

There might be a possibility of FC Data and Picard. We will see.

I like Burnham and Saru. Me getting them will depend totally on what else is competing for my dollar. I'm not gonna get them over Laforge or Riker for example.

On Sideshow YouTube channel this Thursday
2AAB17C1-A40F-48EE-9A22-18643697B64C.jpeg

Back