EXO-6 Star Trek “The Motion Picture (TMP)” Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_9016.jpeg

My two cents: Global economy may be in an even worse recession soon. If I were Nanjin, I would get the most desired figures, like TWOK, produced as soon as possible. Otherwise if he waits, there's a good chance his customer base will be unable to buy them. Hope I'm wrong though.
You are so right. I want to get my Wrath of Khan figures before we get hit with the wrath of the coming recession/depression.

You are so right. I want to get my Wrath of Khan figures before we get hit with the wrath of the coming recession/depression.
The “benefit” of a delayed release is that there’s ample time to save up for them if that’s a concern. I doubt TWOK happens this year.

Good one.

I just look at it now as “it’ll happen when it happens.”

Over a year has passed since we were teased TWOK and TNG that it’s lost the hype.

It definitely feels like all Nanjin's passion right now is for Voyager, DS9 and Picard S3. But hopefully with the Voyager line wraps up soon that will allow room for those other figures we all want.

The “benefit” of a delayed release is that there’s ample time to save up for them if that’s a concern. I doubt TWOK happens this year.
Also maybe they’ll figure out how to paint the eyes evenly by the time they do these lines so many of us really want most.

Have not even seen a prototype for Uhura, Chapel, Cage # 1, Rand, Dr. Crusher, or, Troi at this stage. A horrid proto of Riker. I dunno one of the excuses is they want to be at the top of their game when they get to work on the BIG Treks 🤷‍♂️. But it would seem to me that logic would say run through a rank or job through all of the series and then go back around. Maybe do all Captains first. Then all Medical Officers, then all Engineers , then First Officers, villains etc. Some folks have complained that they have to “sell a kidney“ to keep up with the pace.—- 🤷‍♂️ It would seem that “might” be true if you want the Voyager crew. But if you are focusing on TOS, TNG or TWOK your money is either safe in the bank gaining interest or it’s purchasing MCU or Star Wars figs.
I can understand why people feel this is logical but QMX did that and didn't get far. Exo-6 decision to do the opposite was very deliberate.

TOS, TNG, and TWOK will be the big sellers but even there, far fewer will be buying Sulu compared to Spock, let alone Chapel. It's a complicated guessing game and we aren't the ones investing the money to pitch it at the right level.

I can understand why people feel this is logical but QMX did that and didn't get far. Exo-6 decision to do the opposite was very deliberate.

TOS, TNG, and TWOK will be the big sellers but even there, far fewer will be buying Sulu compared to Spock, let alone Chapel. It's a complicated guessing game and we aren't the ones investing the money to pitch it at the right level.
I certainly agree with you that a Sulu wouldn’t sell as well as a Spock… So in that case you make a smaller percentage of the supporting character
But remember, QMX manufactures many different license lines and many different types of products. EXO-6 is specifically dedicated to the Star Trek license in 1/6. QMX probably never expected or intended to go very deep , although we expected TWOK. I believe QMX has dropped all 1/6 including “Firefly”.
Im sorry I overlooked Chekov on my original list of TOS & TNG characters whom we have not even seen a prototype of with all of the many protos we saw last year. Sure he wouldn’t sell as much as Spock, but would he outsell Harry Kim ?

It definitely feels like all Nanjin's passion right now is for Voyager, DS9 and Picard S3. But hopefully with the Voyager line wraps up soon that will allow room for those other figures we all want.

I honestly don't think it has much to do with Nanjin's personal passion for one series over another. I believe this is all strategic, and it has everything to do with "Take your Ball and go Home" syndrome. Forgive me for invoking the horror story that is Star Ace Ltd for a comparison to EXO, but I think there is a parallel here to Star Ace's handling of the Harry Potter line here.

Similar to TWOK, a very large segment of SA's customer base was waiting for the older versions of the big three from the HP franchise (Harry, Ron and Hermione). But HP was by far Star Ace's most popular and expensive license for a very comparatively small company compared to the monsters of this hobby, so recouping their investment on the HP line with at least a slim margin was crucial to the very survival of the company. In order to accomplish this, they had to go fairly deep into the line and could not afford to take a loss on any individual release.

I'm sure everyone can see where I'm going with this...

Had Star Ace released the Deathly Hallows versions of the Big Three even remotely "early" a HUGE contingency of the fanbase would have grabbed those and checked out (taken their ball and gone home). Exact same situation here with EXO. I have to be honest, when EXO started going and I was looking forward to completing my QMX TOS and TNG bridge crews, if you had told me I'd be pre-ordering Voyager Harry Kim and DS9 Quark, I'd have told you, you were out your dam mind! But here we are :ROFLMAO: . And I'm actually pretty happy about it!

But had they moved into TWOK, TOS, TNG before those more ancillary (in my mind at least) characters were released, I'd be sitting here sharing a few photos from those main Trek series and movies and never been involved with hardly any of the other offerings.

All that said, now that so many of us have invested in members of all the other crews, its probably pretty safe to say most of us are invested in completing at least most of those crews by now, now that the momentum is real. So I'd say ITS RIGHT ABOUT TIME FOR THE BIG HITTERS TO MAKE THEIR DEBUT!!!

But I believe that EXO-6 did not have to "complete" the TOS and TNG lines first but at least release a figure or two interspersed with the other lines, in order to keep those fans engaged as well as possibly bring in new customers to the different lines.

As an example of the above, they could have possibly provided a TOS "Scotty" and a TNG "Geordi", for example, and stagger out the remaining crew figures alongside the Voyager, DS9, Discovery, FC, etc., figures.

I honestly don't think it has much to do with Nanjin's personal passion for one series over another. I believe this is all strategic, and it has everything to do with "Take your Ball and go Home" syndrome. Forgive me for invoking the horror story that is Star Ace Ltd for a comparison to EXO, but I think there is a parallel here to Star Ace's handling of the Harry Potter line here.

Similar to TWOK, a very large segment of SA's customer base was waiting for the older versions of the big three from the HP franchise (Harry, Ron and Hermione). But HP was by far Star Ace's most popular and expensive license for a very comparatively small company compared to the monsters of this hobby, so recouping their investment on the HP line with at least a slim margin was crucial to the very survival of the company. In order to accomplish this, they had to go fairly deep into the line and could not afford to take a loss on any individual release.

I'm sure everyone can see where I'm going with this...

Had Star Ace released the Deathly Hallows versions of the Big Three even remotely "early" a HUGE contingency of the fanbase would have grabbed those and checked out (taken their ball and gone home). Exact same situation here with EXO. I have to be honest, when EXO started going and I was looking forward to completing my QMX TOS and TNG bridge crews, if you had told me I'd be pre-ordering Voyager Harry Kim and DS9 Quark, I'd have told you, you were out your dam mind! But here we are :ROFLMAO: . And I'm actually pretty happy about it!

But had they moved into TWOK, TOS, TNG before those more ancillary (in my mind at least) characters were released, I'd be sitting here sharing a few photos from those main Trek series and movies and never been involved with hardly any of the other offerings.

All that said, now that so many of us have invested in members of all the other crews, its probably pretty safe to say most of us are invested in completing at least most of those crews by now, now that the momentum is real. So I'd say ITS RIGHT ABOUT TIME FOR THE BIG HITTERS TO MAKE THEIR DEBUT!!!
I have to say that while I respect what you say I have a very different experience. I’m waiting for the ball to be hit to me. If I’m playing center field I’m not going to make the shortstop or the second baseman’s play.
While I admire Harry Kim’s uniform or Benjamin Sisko’s accessories they are simply not on my shopping list. Are we three years in now ? I’m three years closer to death. And remember us TOS fans are likely older to begin with.
... And while I’ve seen other folks mention Star Ace, the only thing I know or own from them is “Great Escape Steve McQueen”. ( I guess you could tell I’m a 60’s guy lol 😆). Other than that his sweatshirt has faded Im quite happy with that figure.
Bring On Frank Bullitt, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. And the Beatles

But I believe that EXO-6 did not have to "complete" the TOS and TNG lines first but at least release a figure or two interspersed with the other lines, in order to keep those fans engaged as well as possibly bring in new customers to the different lines.

As an example of the above, they could have possibly provided a TOS "Scotty" and a TNG "Geordi", for example, and stagger out the remaining crew figures alongside the Voyager, DS9, Discovery, FC, etc., figures.
I was pretty much going to say the same thing. Why wouldn’t you spread them out and keep and obtain interest of all of the crews ?

I agree that that would have been quite reasonable. I’m just feeling like that approach might be a bit too nuanced for EXO. It feels like they prefer mostly big moves and seem very committed to not even touching the very top of the pyramid in terms of series popularity until they’ve sold as much of the more ancillary feeling lines/shows as possible.

And I think they follow this path to their own potential detriment in terms of losing fans like JC who are pretty much only interested in the pinnacle crews. I guess they figure that there are more of us all in Trek-a-holics out there to whom they can sell almost anything Trek related, and will still hang on for the eventual (now mythical) TOS/TNG/TWOK releases.

I guess only time will tell if this is a good bet.

I agree with you as well. It is also a kind of "catch-22" in that, for example, not having the big three available for TOS and TNG, a number of customers may not wish to dip into secondary or tertiary character figures. Linked figures tend to help sales of each other. We've seen Hot Toys drop that ball numerous times...

A regular TOS Kirk and Spock would likely also entice some to pick up their "Mirror, Mirror" counterparts. Same goes for TNG Picard and Locutus.

I'm sure that they also expected for the line to grow as more general Star Trek fans discovered the 1/6 Star Trek hobby, which makes perfect sense.

I hope EXO-6 is able to attend at least the major Comic Cons in order to expose their products to additional potential Star Trek fans, both hard-core and not.

Nanjin made the short preorder-to-release window such a selling point in the beginning that I wonder if it is delaying pre-orders. Hot Toys can open a preorder and they have more than a year to figure out production logistics before they start delivering. I get the impression that Exo-6 waits until everything is just right and ready to go before taking a pre-order.

But then again, never been in the business and can only offer wildly uneducated speculation.

I agree that that would have been quite reasonable. I’m just feeling like that approach might be a bit too nuanced for EXO. It feels like they prefer mostly big moves and seem very committed to not even touching the very top of the pyramid in terms of series popularity until they’ve sold as much of the more ancillary feeling lines/shows as possible.

And I think they follow this path to their own potential detriment in terms of losing fans like JC who are pretty much only interested in the pinnacle crews. I guess they figure that there are more of us all in Trek-a-holics out there to whom they can sell almost anything Trek related, and will still hang on for the eventual (now mythical) TOS/TNG/TWOK releases.

I guess only time will tell if this is a good bet.
They are not going to lose me . I still remain interested in TWOK . So as long as it takes, if I’m alive and healthy I will buy them when they are available. It is possible I will lose interest and lose track of the collectorfreaks threads or Nanjin or EXO-6 threads. So I hope I don’t miss out if I’m not paying attention at the time. I fear the possibility that the company may end up out of business before getting to TWOK line. And I fear the possibility that the price point may end up out of my league, that may possibly result in me buying one figure in the monster maroons rather than multiple characters in multiple variantions of the uniform. I’m thinking of the complications to TWOK uniforms and Kahn and Kruge themselves as compared to the 175 USD price point for what I would consider relatively simply attired and accessoryless TMP figs.

Back