EXO-6 Star Trek “The Motion Picture (TMP)” Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm enjoying SNW.

I don't think we're getting anything TMP after Disco Bones. Seems every week there's some new and odd news coming. The mood seems to have shifted regarding EXO-6 from the beginning. I never know what to expect.
It might be interesting to know an analytical or statistical comparison of TOS on broadcast tv in 1968 and TNG in first run syndication with viewership of Picard 3 in limited subscription streaming service 2023 to predict popularity of Picard 3 figures vs. TNG figures. It almost looks like Paramount for ad purposes + Nanjin would prefer to move development and sale of Picard 3 in front of TOS, TNG and TWOK and perhaps others. I would think many more people will have seen and enjoyed TOS & TNG over the course of 50 years than have seen and enjoyed Picard 3 in the past 3 months on subscription streaming service. I dunno . Perhaps I’m wrong .

It might be interesting to know an analytical or statistical comparison of TOS on broadcast tv in 1968 and TNG in first run syndication with viewership of Picard 3 in limited subscription streaming service 2023 to predict popularity of Picard 3 figures vs. TNG figures. It almost looks like Paramount for ad purposes + Nanjin would prefer to move development and sale of Picard 3 in front of TOS, TNG and TWOK and perhaps others. I would think many more people will have seen and enjoyed TOS & TNG over the course of 50 years than have seen and enjoyed Picard 3 in the past 3 months on subscription streaming service. I dunno . Perhaps I’m wrong .
No, I think your right, but that's why they are trying to capitalise on the zeitgeist. The popularity and longevity of TNG and TOS mean that there will be sufficient demand whenever they release them. That won't necessarily be the case with Picard.

I feel like the TMP figures sold well partially because they were the first chances to get a new Kirk and Spock by EXO-6. Even if they aren’t in their most iconic outfits a lot of people were probably willing to get them anyways.

I feel like Nanjin is so wrapped up in what his plan is and at the time the TMP figures were being prepped/released was so busy focusing on other lines (mainly VOY) and also had himself convinced that TMP would only do well as “limited” releases.

Seven of Nine being limited is bizarre (yet she’s still available so who knows how limited she actually is). She’s a popular character even if I personally find her rather overrated by the fanbase.

Far too much time and money seems to have been invested into getting her this specialized body that I’m not sure was honestly even that necessary.

I feel like the TMP figures sold well partially because they were the first chances to get a new Kirk and Spock by EXO-6. Even if they aren’t in their most iconic outfits a lot of people were probably willing to get them anyways.

I feel like Nanjin is so wrapped up in what his plan is and at the time the TMP figures were being prepped/released was so busy focusing on other lines (mainly VOY) and also had himself convinced that TMP would only do well as “limited” releases.

Seven of Nine being limited is bizarre (yet she’s still available so who knows how limited she actually is). She’s a popular character even if I personally find her rather overrated by the fanbase.

Far too much time and money seems to have been invested into getting her this specialized body that I’m not sure was honestly even that necessary.
I think this is correct. Seven was limited because of the cost of the custom body and the factory time dedicated to making it. Presumably a Picard era Seven could use a standard body and would be cheaper to produce.

Yeah it was pretty clear early on that these TMP figures were going to be crazy popular, so not sure why Nanjin didn't pivot right then and make it a standard release.

I know he needs certain "filler" or limited releases to fill out the schedule, but surely there would have been better options for that. That don't involve the two most popular characters in the franchise.

Yeah it was pretty clear early on that these TMP figures were going to be crazy popular, so not sure why Nanjin didn't pivot right then and make it a standard release.

I know he needs certain "filler" or limited releases to fill out the schedule, but surely there would have been better options for that. That don't involve the two most popular characters in the franchise.
Truth be told to me as cool as they are figures like the Mirror figures maybe would have been better to make limited. Since they’re true alternate versions of characters and plenty of people passed on them.

Even a figure like Judge Q probably could have been limited. Iconic protagonist of TNG sure, but kind of an oddball release in some ways. Most of us would have preferred Q in a Starfleet uniform I feel.

Supply v. Demand
without really knowing what the supply was OR the demand was other than that the demand definitely outweighed the supply———- unless, of course there is still more supply hiding away somewhere.

I wish we could get the Spock and Bones like this to go with Kirk, Scotty would have also been cool. Vastly prefer this look to what we got/are getting.
Scotty is too fat. He would not fit within my display space.

Interesting thing. Nanjin seems to often raise the concept that he needs to keep his staff busy. But if I’m correct all or most of the TMP duo were manufactured “out of house”.

IMHO, Nanjin seems ADHD. I don't see a "plan" I see someone who is fortunate enough to lead a Star Trek Action Figure business, but not have the business sense to follow what the fans want. If I were in his shoes, I would focus on two or three lines at a time. Maroon movie uniforms, Next Generation and probably DS9 because that was during Next Gen. Once those lines are complete, move on to the next 2 or 3 series. It just doesn't seem right to try to do them all and leave out the ones that are most important to people or at least very important people.

If he does this right, he'll make good money and provide a great service for the fans. Time will tell.

IMHO, Nanjin seems ADHD. I don't see a "plan" I see someone who is fortunate enough to lead a Star Trek Action Figure business, but not have the business sense to follow what the fans want. If I were in his shoes, I would focus on two or three lines at a time. Maroon movie uniforms, Next Generation and probably DS9 because that was during Next Gen. Once those lines are complete, move on to the next 2 or 3 series. It just doesn't seem right to try to do them all and leave out the ones that are most important to people or at least very important people.

If he does this right, he'll make good money and provide a great service for the fans. Time will tell.
The way people here discuss he's avoiding the most popular figures now so people aren't getting the must-haves and are done, leaving the whole line to wither.

Nah…I don’t know Nanjin, but in fairness to describe a Trek fan who worked hard to get the Star Trek license holders to trust him with it as “fortunate enough” is a bit unfair. The guy didn’t win the license in a raffle. He worked hard and obviously has enough “business sense” to acquire the license.
It’s also pretty obvious why he isn’t releasing all of the popular characters first…if he had the company would already be out of business. THATS business sense. Releasing all of the popular characters first may be great fan service but would have been TERRIBLE business.

Nah…I don’t know Nanjin, but in fairness to describe a Trek fan who worked hard to get the Star Trek license holders to trust him with it as “fortunate enough” is a bit unfair. The guy didn’t win the license in a raffle. He worked hard and obviously has enough “business sense” to acquire the license.
It’s also pretty obvious why he isn’t releasing all of the popular characters first…if he had the company would already be out of business. THATS business sense. Releasing all of the popular characters first may be great fan service but would have been TERRIBLE business.
I don't know him either and forgive me for making judgmental remarks

My main interests, as far as Star Trek figures go, are TOS, TNG and WoK. Aside from the "Mirror, Mirror" series of figures (which I bought), he has yet to release any of the aforementioned lines and yet I've purchased every figure release so far, with the exception of "Discovery". He certainly is doing something right, in regards to his plan...

But I certainly understand and agree with the frustration of being two and a half years into the so called "5 year mission" and still not having even a pre-order of any TOS, TNG or WoK crew members.

Not one TNG bridge crew member yet is insane. I'm getting most of the figures too except for Discovery because it's without doubt the worst thing Trek has ever done but we should have a few Picard figures from Next Generation by now.

Have not even seen a prototype for Uhura, Chapel, Cage # 1, Rand, Dr. Crusher, or, Troi at this stage. A horrid proto of Riker. I dunno one of the excuses is they want to be at the top of their game when they get to work on the BIG Treks 🤷‍♂️. But it would seem to me that logic would say run through a rank or job through all of the series and then go back around. Maybe do all Captains first. Then all Medical Officers, then all Engineers , then First Officers, villains etc. Some folks have complained that they have to “sell a kidney“ to keep up with the pace.—- 🤷‍♂️ It would seem that “might” be true if you want the Voyager crew. But if you are focusing on TOS, TNG or TWOK your money is either safe in the bank gaining interest or it’s purchasing MCU or Star Wars figs.

The way people here discuss he's avoiding the most popular figures now so people aren't getting the must-haves and are done, leaving the whole line to wither.
This could become an issue, and Nanjin would do well to be on the lookout for it. I too am old school and want TOS, maybe TWOK and definitely TUC to bookend the original crew. But the thought of "Eh, maybe I'll just get Disco Bones and be done" is starting to seep in. I'm happy for all the Voyager and Enterprise fans, but I couldn't care less about any figures from those lines. It'd be nice to get thrown a bone, maybe something cool like TOS Kang or the Romulan commander. Just my 2 cents

My two cents: Global economy may be in an even worse recession soon. If I were Nanjin, I would get the most desired figures, like TWOK, produced as soon as possible. Otherwise if he waits, there's a good chance his customer base will be unable to buy them. Hope I'm wrong though.

Back