EXO-6 Star Trek “Deep Space Nine” Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every character in every Star Trek show has made at least one mistake…I wouldn’t go so far as to say that makes any of them incompetent.
Like I said a lot of the stuff is to service the story being told. But in some cases IMO it makes them look so bad that they are incompetent.

Plus Odo really spelled out why Starfleet security is bad in Deep Space Nine.

Like I said a lot of the stuff is to service the story being told. But in some cases IMO it makes them look so bad that they are incompetent.

Plus Odo really spelled out why Starfleet security is bad in Deep Space Nine.
No I think you may have missed the point of that episode…the point was that Worf, like Odo, Tuvok, Reed, is a really GOOD Chief of Security, but DS9 is not like other Starfleet operations and as a result, requires a completely different approach and different tactics…if the issues that Worf had in that episode were simply the result of him being “incompetent” then there would have been no point to the episode.
Odo didn’t say that Starfleet Security was “bad” just that their methods were not effective in an environment like DS9.
Another episode could have pointed out that Odo’s methods would probably not have worked on the Enterprise. Would that mean that
Odo is also “bad” at his job?
The point of the episode was not that a beloved character is “incompetent”, but that DS9 is DIFFERENT.
You should rewatch the episode.

No I think you may have missed the point of that episode…the point was that Worf, like Odo, Tuvok, Reed, is a really GOOD Chief of Security, but DS9 is not like other Starfleet operations and as a result, requires a completely different approach and different tactics…if the issues that Worf had in that episode were simply the result of him being “incompetent” then there would have been no point to the episode.
Odo didn’t say that Starfleet Security was “bad” just that their methods were not effective in an environment like DS9.
Another episode could have pointed out that Odo’s methods would probably not have worked on the Enterprise. Would that mean that
The point of the episode was not that a beloved character is “incompetent”, but that DS9 is DIFFERENT.
Yup. Deep Space 9 was about perspectives and environment constraits. Heros and librators to some, villains and terrorists to others. Same thing for Odo and Worf in this episode, matter of perspectives and the environment.

I think maybe you should go back and rewatch the episode, and perhaps the series. In that episode and several times throughout DS9 Odo totally called out Starfleet Security for being inefficient and ineffective and not just in regard to DS9. Worf spent the episode trying to prove Odo was bad at his job, and in the end Worf found out he was the one that was overstepping, not understanding the job and kept getting in the way.

Odo also doubled as security officer sometimes on the Defiant, so yes he did a good job there too from what I remember.

I'm sorry there is no way you will convince me Reed was ever a good security chief. The two examples are enough evidence for me, but I specifically remember me and my friend laughing a lot at his ridiculousness.

The others there can be a debate on. Sometimes they were good, but there are still some really incompetent things they did IMO. And again, it's mostly going to be story reasons to move the plot along.

You did bring up a point that was always something that did irk me with the chief of security/tactical officer. Those are two totally different jobs with different skill sets. To me it explains why Odo was a good security officer where I don't think the others were because they were more tactical officers meant to work a bridge station, and not security on a ship.

I think maybe you should go back and rewatch the episode, and perhaps the series. In that episode and several times throughout DS9 Odo totally called out Starfleet Security for being inefficient and ineffective and not just in regard to DS9. Worf spent the episode trying to prove Odo was bad at his job, and in the end Worf found out he was the one that was overstepping, not understanding the job and kept getting in the way.

Odo also doubled as security officer sometimes on the Defiant, so yes he did a good job there too from what I remember.

I'm sorry there is no way you will convince me Reed was ever a good security chief. The two examples are enough evidence for me, but I specifically remember me and my friend laughing a lot at his ridiculousness.

The others there can be a debate on. Sometimes they were good, but there are still some really incompetent things they did IMO. And again, it's mostly going to be story reasons to move the plot along.

You did bring up a point that was always something that did irk me with the chief of security/tactical officer. Those are two totally different jobs with different skill sets. To me it explains why Odo was a good security officer where I don't think the others were because they were more tactical officers meant to work a bridge station, and not security on a ship.
Odo is written to be distrustful and dismissive of Starfleet and it’s methods…that’s part of the character. I don’t believe that the show’s writers expected anyone watching to take Odo’s complaints as objective facts.
Quark also makes a lot of dismissive comments about the Federation too, but once again, not sure if any one character’s opinion of another is intended to be taken as an objective assessment of that character’s strengths or weaknesses.
If your take away is that all of the Star Trek Security Chiefs are written to be incompetent and bad at their jobs I think you may not be watching the same Star Trek series that I am.
At its core, Star Trek is about people who are pretty good at what they do…strange that your interpretation is that it’s about incompetent people who are bad at their jobs…sounds like it could be a fun show to watch, but Star Trek isn’t it.

Odo is written to be distrustful and dismissive of Starfleet and it’s methods…that’s part of the character. I don’t believe that the show’s writers expected anyone watching to take Odo’s complaints as objective facts.
Quark also makes a lot of dismissive comments about the Federation too, but once again, not sure if any one character’s opinion of another is intended to be taken as an objective assessment of that character’s strengths or weaknesses.
If your take away is that all of the Star Trek Security Chiefs are written to be incompetent and bad at their jobs I think you may not be watching the same Star Trek series that I am.
At its core, Star Trek is about people who are pretty good at what they do…strange that your interpretation is that it’s about incompetent people who are bad at their jobs…sounds like it could be a fun show to watch, but Star Trek isn’t it.

That's just your take on Star Trek, mine is different and both are allowed to exist.

It's not one character's view that I'm basing my opinion on, it's also their actions in the show. Which you seem to not bring up at all.

I also didn't say it is about incompetent people, just that certain officers are incompetent or not good at their job. Kindly stop trying to put words in my mouth.

nanjin putting the feelers out on IG.

Attachments

• 71C5B57E-BE3E-417A-BB16-F3DB6EEB2FE5.jpeg
    71C5B57E-BE3E-417A-BB16-F3DB6EEB2FE5.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 0
I was thinking the same thing, unless Nanjin had forgotten that Nog did receive a prosthetic, so yea, a stick would just be an addition

To be honest I'm not sure I really need a Nog in the collection. He had a nice character arc at the end but other than that never made much of an impression on me. Much like Jake Sisko.

I was tempted to get every DS9 character EXO-6 makes, but not sure about a "Jake".

Would def get a "Nog" (I'd prefer the older version of the character), AND a "Rom" . . . AND "Brunt".

Would probably get a "Vic" too !

(* Oh PLEASE let this "5-year" mission of Nanjin & team get extended to accommodate !!!!!! *)​

To be honest I'm not sure I really need a Nog in the collection. He had a nice character arc at the end but other than that never made much of an impression on me. Much like Jake Sisko.
I like him quite a bit. I think he had a great arc and when coupled with Jake really sold that alternative adolescent perspective. Plus, ‘In the Cards’ is easily in my top five fave Star Trek episodes of all time. Just sheer comic delight: even the bad guys aren’t really bad here :D

Plus, ‘In the Cards’ is easily in my top five fave Star Trek episodes of all time. Just sheer comic delight: even the bad guys aren’t really bad here :D
I love ‘In The Cards’ as well. Definitely in my top ten and maybe top five DS9 episodes.

I am all in for Deep Space Nine. It is my favorite of all the Trek series and so many of the supporting characters were as rich as the main characters. Nog being one of them.
I am not on Instagram but if you see this Nanjin, I would love Nog. And Rom. And Brunt. And Jake.
I would definitely get Kira, Odo, Worf (DS9), Gul Dukat and Weyoun. Even a Garak would be great!

Make Jake and Nog a two-pack. Otherwise I doubt Jake would sell very well. And make sure we get some self-sealing stembolts. A keepsake from the good ol' days of the Noh-Jay Consortium. ;)
Maybe a couple of crates of Self-Sealing Stem Bolts never know when they will come in handy. As long as the Nagus isn't around

Back