Executive Replicas 2001 Space Odyssey Astronauts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had my clavius suit on preorder so long my credit card expired. I doubt we’ll ever see it, but I keep approving the delay
Sadly, I've already paid for my Clavius suit or I'd have cancelled it by now. Had I known a Bowman suit was coming out beforehand I wouldn't have bothered. Suspect ebay may be my saviour.

Yesterday Executive Replicas consulted with me about some final changes and improvements to the Clavius suit, and I made some important recommendations. The suits are almost complete, and are being assembled at this moment. I am not at liberty to share any photos, but... the suit looks REALLY great. With some final tweaks, they will look even better and more accurate.
Hopefully the backlog of shipping containers at the China ports will clear up while the production run is finishing, and the suits will finally start shipping soon.

Thank you. I’m really hoping for 1/6 scale moon-watcher.

Probably dreaming but I would even settle for something like this in my preferred scale.

4702D13A-89D2-427D-A500-506C7503C3BE.jpeg

Has the pricing on the Clavius suit changed? When I preordered it was $360 and now being shown as $415 at a couple of e-tailers.

Has the pricing on the Clavius suit changed? When I preordered it was $360 and now being shown as $415 at a couple of e-tailers.
$379 on Exec Replicas website, same price as originally advertised.

Hey guys, about the Haywood Floyd head sculpt: I found a talented, reputable artist who is willing to do the sculpt. It won't be cheap, but it will be a high quality likeness. I am hoping to gather enough committed buyers to make the project affordable. I also want to be totally transparent in this, and very clear about one thing: I'm not going to make any profit from this for myself- I just want a Haywood Floyd sculpt like anyone else.

One important point: We can't have the artist getting twenty different opinions about what facial expression is best, or about tweaking the eyebrows, flaring the nostrils a bit more, etc. I will use my own best artistic judgement when communicating with the artist about how the final product should look, and buyers will have to be okay with that. I want the finished expression to look sober, serious, not smiling, perhaps with a subtle hint of awe- as Dr. Floyd appeared when he was touching the monolith in the film. I'm sure the artist will send regular progress photos so we all can see how it's coming along.

The company is called 'UnleashedViper Commissions', and they can be found on Facebook. I exchanged messages with them, and we are just at the very beginning of this process. Please don't send them a barrage of messages, because I don't even know yet if I will be successful in finding enough people to actually make this happen. Do have a look through their gallery; it's great work.

I was told the cost for the initial hand-sculpted prototype head starts at $800, depending on the intricacy, and then $150 for each fully painted duplicate. I've looked at many other sculptors who offer a similar level of quality, and this price seems pretty standard among them. Therefore, the more people I can get onboard, the more affordable the heads will be. The artist requires a 50% non-refundable deposit to start the work, then 50% on completion. Therefore, I will need up-front non-refundable payments of 50% from all committed buyers to begin the project.

Example A: If 5 buyers share the cost, the price for each head sculpt would be $310. ($800 divided among 5 people = $160, + $150 per duplicate.

Example B: If 10 buyers share the cost, the price for each head sculpt would be $230. ($800 divided among 10 people = $80, + $150 per duplicate.

Example C: If 20 buyers share the cost, the price for each head sculpt would be $190. ($800 divided among 20 people = $40, + $150 per duplicate.

Example D: If 25 buyers share the cost, the price for each head sculpt would be $182. ($800 divided among 25 people = $32, + $150 per duplicate.

As you can see, the price drops pretty sharply as more people share the burden. If I can't get a group together, there's no way I can afford to spend $800 on one sculpt just for myself. So: Let me hear from you! Post a comment if you want to join the group! The Clavius suit is coming soon. I've seen the final version, and it looks fantastic- but it's empty. It's up to us to remedy that.

One more important thought: As much as I would like to have two versions of the head, one for helmet-off display and one for helmet-on display with headgear, it would be double the cost. I do believe I have a solution though, to give us the best of both worlds:

I plan to have the artist produce the head sculpt without any headgear for helmet-off display. Then, I will personally sculpt and cast film-accurate earphones in such a way that they fit over the existing ears, with a flexible plastic over-the-head band to hold them in place. They will be molded directly onto the original prototype head for a perfect fit. I will produce the earphones and mic, but I will leave out the white plastic skullcap portion of the headgear, since it would not fit over the sculpted hair. The white skullcap is only visible in some behind-the-scenes photos, but it's never shown in the film.
I will make the removable headgear available to everyone who joins the group, after the head sculpt is paid for and completed.

Last edited:
Hey guys, about the Haywood Floyd head sculpt: I found a talented, reputable artist who is willing to do the sculpt. It won't be cheap, but it will be a high quality likeness. I am hoping to gather enough committed buyers to make the project affordable. I also want to be totally transparent in this, and very clear about one thing: I'm not going to make any profit from this for myself- I just want a Haywood Floyd sculpt like anyone else.

One important point: We can't have the artist getting twenty different opinions about what facial expression is best, or about tweaking the eyebrows, flaring the nostrils a bit more, etc. I will use my own best artistic judgement when communicating with the artist about how the final product should look, and buyers will have to be okay with that. I want the finished expression to look sober, serious, not smiling, perhaps with a subtle hint of awe- as Dr. Floyd appeared when he was looking at and touching the monolith in the film.

The company is called 'UnleashedViper Commissions', and they can be found on Facebook. I exchanged messages with them, and we are just at the very beginning of this process. Please don't send them a barrage of messages, because I don't even know yet if I will be successful in finding enough people to actually make this happen.

I was told the cost for the initial hand-sculpted head starts at $800, depending on the level of intricacy, and then $150 for each painted duplicate. I've looked at many other sculptors who offer a similar level of quality, and this price seems pretty standard among them. Therefore, the more people I can get onboard, the more affordable the heads will be. It will require up-front payments from every committed buyer from the start, so that the cost is evenly shared between us all.

Example A: If 5 buyers share the cost, the price for each head sculpt would be $310. ($800 divided among 5 people = $160, + $150 per duplicate.

Example B: If 10 buyers share the cost, the price for each head sculpt would be $230. ($800 divided among 10 people = $80, + $150 per duplicate.

Example C: If 20 buyers share the cost, the price for each head sculpt would be $190. ($800 divided among 20 people = $40, + $150 per duplicate.

Example D: If 25 buyers share the cost, the price for each head sculpt would be $182. ($800 divided among 25 people = $32, + $150 per duplicate.

As you can see, the price drops pretty sharply as more people share the burden. If I can't get a group together, there will be no way I can afford to spend $800 on one sculpt. So: Let me hear from you! Post a comment if you're willing to join the group, and add me to your friends list. The Clavius suit is coming soon. I've seen the final version, and it looks fantastic- but it's empty. It's up to us to remedy that.

One more important thought: As much as I would like to have two versions of the head, one for helmet-off display and one for helmet-on display with headgear, it would be double the cost. I do believe I have a solution though, to give us the best of both worlds: I plan to have the artist produce the head sculpt without any headgear, so it will be suitable for helmet-off display.
Then, I will personally sculpt and cast film-accurate 'earmuffs' in such a way that they fit over the existing ears, with a flexible plastic over-the-head band to hold them in place. They will be molded directly onto the original head sculpt for a perfect fit. I will produce the earphones and mic, but I will omit the white plastic skullcap portion of the headgear, since it would not fit over the sculpted hair. The white skullcap is only visible in a few behind-the-scenes photos but never seen in the film. I will make the removable headgear available to everyone who joins the group, after the head sculpt is paid for and completed.
Hello! Thanks for your very beautiful project!!
I'm in!!!!! Count me, please!!!!!
Looking forward to be started this beautiful project.
Thanks again and Best Regards.

Anthrapoid, count me in as well. Any plans to offer it painted?
Indiana Fett, the heads will come fully painted. The $800 is for sculpting and mold-making for the prototype, then the $150 is for each painted duplicate. Each member of the group will share the cost of the entire process equally, including an equal portion of the $800 (divided by the number of members we can get) plus $150 for each painted head.

I added you to the list. That's three of us now, which brings the cost down to $416.66 for each of us. The more people who join, the cheaper it will get.

Last edited:
BACON! and Stephen Gentile added to the list.
With five people, that brings the cost down to $310 each.

Yodasan, no I didn't think of that. I'll see how things go here for a while first. Thanks for the suggestion.

*bump* WE NEED MORE PEOPLE TO JOIN THE
HAYWOOD FLOYD HEAD SCULPT PROJECT

READ POST #927

Still excited for the Clavius suit but...

Aren't the empty suits stitched shut? How would you get head / body into the suit?

Also, per posts here, Clavius was supposedly about to go into production in April, then it was purely delayed b/c of backup at ports (which implied it was on the boat), then back to approving final tweaks back in October, then "coming soon" in mid-January - and still nothing.

Seems like an inordinate leap of faith that we should commit to a headsculpt for a project that has been on pre-order for years now, until we actually see it AND confirm it can be used without cutting the suit open.

Back