Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing as Denis seems to be on a roll of remaking classic '80s science fiction, what be next on the cards I wonder.....

Flash Gordon, but the primary colour palette is grey?

It has to be continued. It's one of those classics which actually has had a very checkered history of attempts at being made if you look into it.

With Discovery taking over and wanting to hold talent, surely they will go with Part 2 and not want to lose Villeneuve as well as Nolan.
I guess the box office numbers will be the deciding factor.

I guess the box office numbers will be the deciding factor.
Hopefully not, as these types of sci-fi films (Bladerunner, Bladerunner 2049 etc) don't tend to be big favourites at the box office. I guess that's also why they were at Cannes to go the awards route.

IMO it also mirrors Villeneuve's take on being a movie director as well. It's cinema and art, which is more than just money.

But yes, I'll wait for the comments from others that money is needed to pay for these movies. I agree, but there are some movies which are bigger than just making huge profits.

Then again maybe I'm just too old school ??

Hopefully not, as these types of sci-fi films (Bladerunner, Bladerunner 2049 etc) don't tend to be big favourites at the box office. I guess that's also why they were at Cannes to go the awards route.

IMO it also mirrors Villeneuve's take on being a movie director as well. It's cinema and art, which is more than just money.

But yes, I'll wait for the comments from others that money is needed to pay for these movies. I agree, but there are some movies which are bigger than just making huge profits.

Then again maybe I'm just too old school ??
I watched a Variety roundtable with producers and one of them said you just worry about the (financial) quarter. He said there is certain movies done to make a profit, then you can do something like Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Everything is a risk, but how much of a risk?

I wonder how many posters JJ Abrams had on his wall?
Several Spielberg posters.
I had Farah and also the For Your Eyes Only leg poster.

My sister had Tom Jones lol

I had Stallone, Hulk Hogan, Arnold, and Michael Jackson. In retrospect, my room was extremely gay.

Last edited:
I've had so many posters and pictures on my walls it would be impossible to list them all.

But the ones I distinctly remember from my childhood bedroom are these two.

s-l1600.jpg

51ozNGeq50L._AC_SX466_.jpg

Not exactly Blade Runner.

I watched a Variety roundtable with producers and one of them said you just worry about the (financial) quarter. He said there is certain movies done to make a profit, then you can do something like Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Everything is a risk, but how much of a risk?
Yes, I saw that too. Hollywood reporter wasn't it ?? They have a lot of those round tables with actors, directors etc.

I'm sure that happens with money distribution within a studio. It has to really, especially in this day and age where popularity for serious, cinematic movies seems low and therefore seldom get made, when the crowds only want spectacle blockbuster comic book movies.

In some ways I can understand Scorsese, Coppola and Scott being against comic book movies. As much as I do like the Marvel films themselves I have felt a real lack of good cinema these last years. But at the end of the day if they can help finance films like Dune 2 then so be it.

Yes, I saw that too. Hollywood reporter wasn't it ?? They have a lot of those round tables with actors, directors etc.

I'm sure that happens with money distribution within a studio. It has to really, especially in this day and age where popularity for serious, cinematic movies seems low and therefore seldom get made, when the crowds only want spectacle blockbuster comic book movies.

In some ways I can understand Scorsese, Coppola and Scott being against comic book movies. As much as I do like the Marvel films themselves I have felt a real lack of good cinema these last years. But at the end of the day if they can help finance films like Dune 2 then so be it.
Yeah Hollywood Reporter. Some good roundtables there.

Just like Hot Toys. Need Iron Man to bring the big dough in then can do something unique with it like Mysterio. I don't like Transformers movies, but they bring in the bucks. No one should say no to that just cause it isn't an art house movie.

Back